Ottawa Fury 2019 USL season

gwsmith63

I have lost track, 3 loans from TFC, 2 from Impact and maybe 2 more from TFC later on??  Glad to see the TFC kids not having to drop down to USL-1, that wouldnt do them any good.  Boskovic will have a hard time finding PT with Attakora and TMG in front of him.  Make or break year for Hundal, hope he gets a decent shot.  As much as people dont like the farm club look, if Ottawa was my home town I'd rather have this than no club.  Hopefully they can prove the alphabetical rankers wrong at USL and make the playoffs with a predominately CDN lineup.  Go Fury!

Yeah, I’m seriously not happy with the number of loans and the “farm team” look.  But it’s still my local side and I have renewed my season ticket.

Heart says we will make the playoffs comfortably; head says we will continue to be offensively challenged and will miss again this year.  Plus I’m really looking forward to the Cup games this season.

Edited by JamboAl

"We have a season to prove that the only Canadian team @USLChampionship has its raison d'être. It must be demonstrated that our project can be a springboard for our players towards the @MLS." - JDG

If that's how the manager sees one of the main goals for the club it comes across as contradictory to previous statements about trying to offer the highest level of competition possible. I have no problem with either approach, I just find it frustrating that the message is constantly changing. This is compounded with the perceived quality of loans this season compared to last.

For those in the know, I thought I read somewhere that haworth was going to be playing a lot of FB this year, but in that last preseason game he was playing further up.  Any thoughts on this? It was a nicely taken goal, hate to waste attacking talent.  Will there be some platooning of the keepers or is it Monsalves to lose at this point?  Irving was pretty good 2 years ago before Crepeau took over.  

Bison, I think it is out of necessity right now more than anything else.  Not a lot of wide players available to have Carl playing at the back.

Once a few of the loan players get up to speed I think we might see Carl moved to RB.  Also, if/when the club brings in other attacking options before their next game April 6th, this may happen.

Personally (and, obviously, my opinion only) I think he would be perfect (along with Tissot on the left, when back from injury) as a wide man of a 3-5-2.  But I don't get paid the big bucks to make those decisions.  :)

Cheers

GWS

Edited by gwsmith63

Watched the match against Birmingham. Good performance from Ottawa I thought. More cohesive than I have seen them in the past. I thought a couple of their non Canadians were their stand out players, Kevin Oliveira and Wal Fall. Regarding the Canadians, nice goal by Haworth. I thought Meilleur-Giguere had a good game. I want to see move from him. Not impressed with Mannella. Good passer of the ball, but doesn't do much else.

Only 5 players on the Ottawa bench. I really hope CPL teams don't take this cheap route and at least travel with a full squad.

Was interesting to watch that game and see so many pieces on that Birmingham team that are familiar to Canadian soccer fans: Daigo Kobayashi, Tommy Soehn, Eric Avila, Matt Van Oekel.

1 hour ago, masster said:

Why does he feel that less subs are necessary for road games as opposed to home games?

I remember something about it being a cost thing. They would be able to bring more staff to the road games if they brought less players that weren't likely to be subbed in anyway.

And then Ottawa says they have too big of a budget for CPL..

8 hours ago, masster said:

Thats fine. But is there any valid reason for it besides wanting to save money?

Just as an aside to this point; I remember the old PDL days for the Fury and watching teams from the US showing up with barely 11 players to start the game with due to various reasons.  The main one was passport/visa related issues which always struck me as odd because they knew they had to come to Canada every year for games.

GWS

On 3/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, gwsmith63 said:

Just as an aside to this point; I remember the old PDL days for the Fury and watching teams from the US showing up with barely 11 players to start the game with due to various reasons.  The main one was passport/visa related issues which always struck me as odd because they knew they had to come to Canada every year for games.

GWS

That happened for American teams coming for PDL games against Toronto Lynx/TFC Academy (and FC London and KW United) over the years.  That great student athlete from Germany or England playing for an American university and a PDL team in the summer wouldn't be able to play when they made a road trip to Canada.   Players aren't paid at the PDL level because of scholarships etc so I don't know how that's related to a 'work' permit.  

Home opener is this saturday, and for a first time all fans will be sitting in the NORTH stands, this is because the south stands are still jammed with snow and ice.

Since the Fury's last game they will  have been off for 3 weeks, they have been practicing in the dome in Gatineau and have played 2 exhibition game, the first was in Toronto where they played TFC in first half and TFC2 in 2nd half, no score or reports, and last friday they played  AS Blainville again no score or reports.

13 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Good turnout - 6500, bad result 0-3

I was out of town for the home opener and watched the game online last night.  Although Nashville SC will be very good this season, there were much of the same problems as last year.  Decent possession with no cutting edge, little creativity, and schizophrenic defending.  I liked the attendance figure.