Nail your colours... 2019 CPL Edition

I'm from Toronto and so it's York 9. I'm a STH. But I have a huge soft spot for Wanderers since I have family in Halifax and travel there once or twice a year. In fact I'm in Nova Scotia now. Hope to see a game at the Wanderers grounds on one of my  trips. And the groundswell of support in the city and the supporters groups I find very appealing. Which is why I like Forge too. Lived in Winnipeg for high school and university so following them with interest. Perhaps visit my sister and go to a game. Edmonton FC has some history which appeals. Calgary will be a great rival for Edmonton. Like the Pacific FC project too so far. Will be curious to see if some kind of coast-to-coast "Lighthouse" rivalry develops with Halifax. 

So in short I'm pumped for the whole league and maybe that's my preference order. But actually don't want any team to lose. Want them all to win all there games and succeed on and off the field. Ha!!

Edited by CanSuffer

48 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

No wonder why MLS had to fabricate rivalries. You lot are angels 

Not me, I bleed starfish purple ;) 

I hope you enjoy you that spa...I mean soccer team you've got out there in Kaohsiung...I mean Brisbane...I mean Honolulu...I mean Lima...I mean Vancouver...I mean Victoria...the Pacific is a very big place ?

Edited by matty

Forge FC. I’ve lived in Quebec City for many years but I’m a native Hamiltonian. Hoping to be at Tim Hortons Field on April 27 for the inaugural match. And of course hoping we’ll have a CanPL team here in Quebec City in the near future.

Edited by Grandbloke

Tough one for me. Dad and brother born in Hamilton. Almost two centuries of my family history in Hamilton. Me, I'm born in Victoria and my parents met and married there but I haven't really lived in either city. I'm gonna be torn until I see what identity the organizations form, and even then when these two clubs play I might be hoping for a hard fought draws most match days. 

2 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

I don't really have regional ties to any of the teams (from SW Ontario), so I'll consider myself initially a free agent fan, and then perhaps choose a favorite based on how they play during the first season.

There is a saying in football that you do not choose your team, it chooses you. Stand by. ?

1 hour ago, Viruk42 said:

Another Ottawa resident hoisting the Wanderers flag, in part due to family who live down east. Though reading the other responses, it kind of feels like Halifax will be everyone's main or second team (at least at the start). 

Rightly or wrongly, I feel like Halifax is a lot of people's 2nd team because they nailed their branding and marketing and logo. As well, because they are a small city with not a ton of existing development to draw from, I get the feeling they are being perceived as an underdog team. Hopefully a scrappy one. But a well-branded underdog is just so damn enjoyable to cheer for!

1 hour ago, fmfranck said:

I'll have a slight bias towards Halifax as they have signed a few ex-IMFC academy players. I'd love an away day there in the Canadian Championship (they should definitely change that name in the near feature). 

Agreed. And they haven't named the CPL Championship yet.

I propose: Canadian Premier League Championship.

Gets us close to where we need to be.

Edited by dsqpr

1 hour ago, Copes said:

Rightly or wrongly, I feel like Halifax is a lot of people's 2nd team because they nailed their branding and marketing and logo. 

For me it's Hamilton who have really killed it in terms of image and marketing, and the logo is amazing; and since they are set up as an Ontario rival to both TFC and Fury. But I have no second team, yet. Usually you have to wait for the league to get underway to observe how the narrative unfolds, a team will become attractive or not. 

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me it's Hamilton who have really killed it in terms of image and marketing, and the logo is amazing; and since they are set up as an Ontario rival to both TFC and Fury. But I have no second team, yet. Usually you have to wait for the league to get underway to observe how the narrative unfolds, a team will become attractive or not. 

From what Smyrniotis has told fans so far it seems he prefers an extremely possession-oriented 4-3-3, and we haven't signed a true striker yet, so Forge FC may also end up being the most tiki taka CanPL team you can cheer for.

Cavalry for me as I am a Calgarian now, but as an Atlantic Canadian, Wanderers are a very close second - and I like how they've gone about things thus far.

If and when Newfoundland get a team, Halifax will drop to third and I'll really have a tough choice to make for my number 1 team.

Until then, Pacific FC is my number 3. I just think they have got it right more than any other team so far.

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Terry_Canuck said:

Other than the Wanderers, I would probably say Pacific because of their colours and they, like Halifax, might be a bit of an underdog.

Coastal solidarity!

I'm leaning towards Winnipeg for now (about as far from the coasts as you can get), but a Fraser Valley team or (less likely) London or Windsor would move to the top pretty quick.