Jump to content

Nail your colours... 2019 CPL Edition


Recommended Posts

As we approach the first season, who is everyone on the board rooting for?

It feels weird to me to sit and be a neutral. I don't know if I can. I am certainly going to try and watch as much as I can if its broadcast freely.

On the flipside can I support a team that could potentially be a rival if Saskatoon does ever get a city team? That rules out Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary for me. Decisions decisions. 

Edited by toontownman
adding in missing words that make me more stupid that normal
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Other than the Wanderers, I would probably say Pacific because of their colours and they, like Halifax, might be a bit of an underdog.

Are any of the neutrals having as much difficulty as I am as the results roll in? After each match I get equally excited for the winner as I get sad for looser.  It sounds very Timbits soccer but

Posted Images

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

As we approach the first season, who is everyone on the board rooting for?

It feels weird to me to sit and be a neutral. I don't know if I can. I am certainly going to try and watch as much as I can if its broadcast freely.

On the flipside can I support a team that could potentially be a rival if Saskatoon does ever get a city? That rules out Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary for me. Decisions decisions. 

I'd imagine that it'll be a long, long time before Saskatoon ever gets a real 'city'. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will prob cheer for Halifax as the lone Maritime rep in the league, but like MLS I will simply enjoy the fact that Canadian teams are playing pro soccer in this country.  In Canadian derby situations, I tend to root for TFC, but would absolutely cheer for the Impact or the Caps when they were playing.  So I guess I am just cheering for soccer...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm based in Ottawa, so basically neutral. I hope to see a good product and groundwork for Canadian players to have a solid path up to the CanMNT. Also hoping to see Fury convinced enough to join - if the league takes off, it'll look completely foolish not to join.

I'm intrigued by Halifax. It's nice to see an east coast team and I like the themes they've gone with. So I'll have a soft spot there and wishing all the clubs success early on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

I'm torn between cheering for Halifax or Pacific. I love the idea of a club in Halifax, but also love the brand and roster Pacific has been putting together. 

Really? I find it to be like the weakest branding especially when compared to how amazing the branding of Forge is

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, matty said:

Really? I find it to be like the weakest branding especially when compared to how amazing the branding of Forge is

Pacific weakest and Forge strongest?  As a Forge fan I think the marketing aspect has been 10/10, engagement, signings etc. Right up there ... but branding I wouldn’t say is particularly strong.  The problem is that while the logo and name have grown on most of us it takes a while.. I can’t imagine it’s any easier for people who aren’t completely obsessed with Canadian soccer.

PFC on the other hand has gone above and beyond to make their “brand”.. they’ve opened a store downtown and even have their own coffee.  I also think the whole island/local player thing they’re going for is the strongest push out of all teams so far.  Their apparel is easily tops in CPL so far. 

Edited by Keegan
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Pacific weakest and Forge strongest?  As a Forge fan I think the marketing aspect has been 10/10, engagement, signings etc. Right up there ... but branding I wouldn’t say is particularly strong. 

PFC on the other hand has gone above and beyond to make their “brand”.. they’ve opened a store downtown and even have their own coffee.  I also think the whole island/local player thing they’re going for is the strongest push out of all teams so far.

Forge actually selected a name and logo (that level of branding) that give a clear image and it's very different for soccer and very Hamilton. The name Forge brings up many images but remain focused.

PFC picked the most 'milk' name (if that makes sense), it's very broad and loose, and a fairly dull logo and colour selection. It feels very safe. They've been pushing it well like you point out but that's marketing not branding. I don't think they have the weakest branding overall, that goes to FC Edmonton.

In comparison
Forge branding: makes you think of a black metal musician FORGING a battle axe to declare ownership of the best pitch in town
Pacific branding: makes you think of a 3.5 star spa

Edited by matty
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matty said:

Forge actually selected a name and logo (that level of branding) that give a clear image and it's very different for soccer and very Hamilton. The name Forge brings up many images but remain focused.

PFC picked the most 'milk' name (if that makes sense), it's very broad and loose, and a fairly dull logo and colour selection. It feels very safe. They've been pushing it well like you point out but that's marketing not branding. I don't think they have the weakest branding overall, that goes to FC Edmonton.

In comparison
Forge branding: makes you think of a black metal musician FORGING a battle axe to declare ownership of the best pitch in town
Pacific branding: makes you think of a 3.5 star spa

Just different tastes I suppose. I get the reasoning behind Forge's branding but it's not my favorite. 

I do agree the name Pacific FC is a little cheesy but I like the crest and colors a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Totally neutral here as TFC season ticket holder and supporter. Will have a keen eye on the guys who have suited up for the Reds in the past.

I think their should be another option for those of you without a CanPL team in your town: Waiting for my team to be founded and hating all of you! ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Totally neutral here as TFC season ticket holder and supporter. Will have a keen eye on the guys who have suited up for the Reds in the past.

Same boat.

Durham United FA has a team at least. Until then it's neutral all the way, looking at talent that will be called for the CMNT.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Valour FC. Love the badge and colours, top marks for branding. I was a little bit skeptical about the name initially but I am over it and the public reception to the name and story has been overwhelmingly positive here.

HFX is my "other" team.

And I would also like to say that I am LOVING the variety of team colours. Well done CPL!

Edited by dsqpr
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kent said:

York 9 for me. And I still love TFC but they get demoted from favourite team to 8th favourite team.

Valour for me, but I agree about TFC, I wont be so invested in them anymore.  Ah hell, all the MLS teams just got demoted! 

Among the other CPL, I have always had a soft spot for Hamilton, and I love the Halifax logo, colors and the KING OF DONAIRS!!  GO HARTSIE!!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...