Jadon Villfort

Dominic94

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's a bit of a stretch to claim that training with the first team before signing a contract makes him homegrown. Highly dubious.

He played a friendly with them last year, Gloucester seems to have a relationship with them, Jadon’s friend Jonathan David also trained with the Fury first team

5 minutes ago, jordan said:

He played a friendly with them last year, Gloucester seems to have a relationship with them, Jadon’s friend Jonathan David also trained with the Fury first team

Still not buying it. Apparently, there are some gullible Fury supporters who are, though.

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's a bit of a stretch to claim that training with the first team before signing a contract makes him homegrown. Highly dubious.

True. Yes he's grown at home but I don't think that's the point. They make it seem as if they invested in this kid while in fact they've only tested him last year. Sure, it's great that they offer him a contract, but why the false statement?

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

True. Yes he's grown at home but I don't think that's the point. They make it seem as if they invested in this kid while in fact they've only tested him last year. Sure, it's great that they offer him a contract, but why the false statement?

You and I are in agreement on this one. :-)

55 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, it's not like Alphonso Davies who came up through the ranks attending Whitecaps youth camps growing up and graduated through the ranks of the U15 and U17 team to the MLS.

Not sure if it's the usual sarcasm, but at least they HAVE an academy...

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, it's not like Alphonso Davies who came up through the ranks attending Whitecaps youth camps growing up and graduated through the ranks of the U15 and U17 team to the MLS.

Alphonso Davies was with the Whitecaps between the ages of 14 and 18. They played a huge part in his development into the player he is today, along with the various clubs he was part of in Edmonton. Also, in MLS, 'Homegrown' has a specific connotation when it comes to their roster rules. So, the Whitecaps weren't making any disingenuous statements when he was signed, nor at any point through his time with the club.

August 2015 - Joins Whitecaps residency.
February 2016 - Attends preseason training camp with VWFC first team.
July 2016 - Makes first team appearance with VWFC.

Really impressed with what the Whitecaps residency was able to do over the winter break to mold him into the player he is.

The hairs we are splitting are so fine.

You can't really blame the Whitecaps for letting him play professionally at age 16, him being such an exceptional talent. They could have kept him at the residency, but I think we can all agree they made the right call (and by doing so, helping hom develop). 

Fury fc had nothing to do with developing this kid, they just offered some 18 year old player a contract. Comparing these two is just a false equivalent. 

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

You can't really blame the Whitecaps for letting him play professionally at age 16, him being such an exceptional talent. They could have kept him at the residency, but I think we can all agree they made the right call (and by doing so, helping hom develop). 

Fury fc had nothing to do with developing this kid, they just offered some 18 year old player a contract. Comparing these two is just a false equivalent. 

The comparison is based entirely on considering them "homegrown", not their talent level.  Davies was considered "homegrown" and a "product of the residency" when he stepped on the field after less than a year in Vancouver, let alone with the team.  All of the development he did with the team was after this.

Just pointing out that charging that Ottawa Fury is doing something subversive while not recognizing that this is done everywhere, is a little disingenuous.  Same would go for TFC when they promoted Osorio.  I think he spent more time with Nacional than with TFC.  He had the same trajectory as Davies where he spent the fall with TFC Academy and was then an MLS starter.

Jadon has probably trained with the Fury as much as Davies and Osorio did with their teams prior to being first team players.

1 hour ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Article says he grew up in Ottawa playing for Cap U and Gloucester. Doesn’t say the Fury developed him. 

Some folks here really try too hard to rip on a club willing to give a Canadian kid a chance at a pro career. 

I agree to a certain extent but as with a lot of what OFFC does it comes across as inauthentic.

6 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Article says he grew up in Ottawa playing for Cap U and Gloucester. Doesn’t say the Fury developed him. 

Some folks here really try too hard to rip on a club willing to give a Canadian kid a chance at a pro career. 

I said it was great that they gave him a contract, but the point stands: why the false statement?

In MLS, homegrown means a specific kind of player, within the CAP system. Outside of MLS, it means developed by the team. Neither applies here.

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

I said it was great that they gave him a contract, but the point stands: why the false statement?

In MLS, homegrown means a specific kind of player, within the CAP system. Outside of MLS, it means developed by the team. Neither applies here.

https://ottawasun.com/2016/01/29/ottawa-senators-boast-three-homegrown-defencemen/wcm/384a6b7a-ed48-4c87-a48d-1d71bc6d824e

Sens didn’t develop Boro, Ceci or Methot. I wouldn’t read too much into the term. 

Archived