Sign in to follow this  
Kent

CPL bilingualism

Posted (edited)

So the Fury actually aren't good for Canadian football if they prefer not to exist rather than join the CPL? They rather die by their own sword rather than being captured by the enemy?

What has got De Guzman so irked about the CPL? 

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, red card said:

So the Fury actually aren't good for Canadian football if they prefer not to exist rather than join the CPL? They rather die by their own sword rather than being captured by the enemy?

What has got De Guzman so irked about the CPL? 

My guess is the Fury will still be in USL next year.

I don't understand why they want to stay though. That league is a joke of a behemoth now. The MLS affiliates cheapen it as well.

51 minutes ago, narduch said:

My guess is the Fury will still be in USL next year.

I don't understand why they want to stay though. That league is a joke of a behemoth now. The MLS affiliates cheapen it as well.

Look at it from an american point of view.  They work in partnership with MLS (unlike NASL) they can act like a feeder system of sorts for US college kids trying to make MLS.  And its a test run for a lot of expansion sites.  And look at all the little hotbeds of soccer support they have found. Cincy, Indy, Vegas, Hartford.....Hartford is drawing almost 6000 fans.  Everytime i think we might be closing on the US I look at the 300 USL-Champ and USL-One teams...they actually have the makings of a pyramid.  They could have pro/rel if the will was there.  But you are 100% right, why would a CDN team choose to stay in that system now that there is a viable CDN option??  

I think in the long run the MLS affiliates will go in their own separate league

But for Ottawa does playing Bethlehem or NYR! II really matter.  I'd rather play a Canadian team

14 hours ago, narduch said:

But for Ottawa does playing Bethlehem or NYR! II really matter.  I'd rather play a Canadian team

To the fans? It really shouldn't. May as well play against Timbuktoo and Whereareyou.

To the FO, sure does. As the sole Canadian Team in the USL, they have a couple things they get to play off of:

• Direct line toward the MLS.
    • Teams in the MLS, especially affiliate teams, look to the USL first to fill back bench positions.
    • The direct affiliate provides a visible link to a pro contract
  • Chest-thumping Canada vs USA action.
    • As the only Canadian Team, Fury get to claim they're fighting back the American behemoth. That thrill we get whenever we beat the Americans at anything, is exactly what they're going for. In the capital, this need to beat the Americans should be even stronger. It doesn't really work out for the way FO expects/hopes, but that's just poor marketing.
    • Provide a direct way to compare "Canadian Players" stack up against the USA
  • Small fish, big pond
    • As a small fish in a big pond, if they screw up, it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. This allows for some experimentation on field or in operations. Fury are basically floated as a tax write-off by OSEG, but they would like to turn a profit on it someday. So they have some room to experiment and see if it happens.

I would absolutely love for them to be a part of CanPL. I would also love to see a lot more French and even some Anishinaabemowin (though that's definitely a pipe dream).

(Looped it back on topic for ya. ;) )

17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

JDG is only the hired help. John Pugh is more likely to be making the key decisions.

Pugh is more a minor partner compared to the rest of the ownership. It's probably Roger Greenberg and John Ruddy that are making most of the decisions and everything is filters through the RedBlack's lens. They have financial priority, follow probably equally by the 67's and the Fury.