Voyageurs in France - 2019 Women's World Cup

Admin

• 1 month later...

I might have just purchased Juve museum tickets for June 12...anyone else thinking of going to Italy between first and second game?  

Buying the flight this month -- just been watching the price. Finding Barcelona the cheapest to fly into. Thinking Barcelona - Montpellier - Turin - Grenoble - Paris - Vimy - Reims - Paris -- Barcelona -- home to watch men win Gold Cup is my plan right now...

99 days, man...

Edited by Duane Rollins

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 9:45 PM, Duane Rollins1555362254 said:

I might have just purchased Juve museum tickets for June 12...anyone else thinking of going to Italy between first and second game?  

Buying the flight this month -- just been watching the price. Finding Barcelona the cheapest to fly into. Thinking Barcelona - Montpellier - Turin - Grenoble - Paris - Vimy - Reims - Paris -- Barcelona -- home to watch men win Gold Cup is my plan right now...

99 days, man...

Because I am here in Barcelona, and it is indeed close to Montpellier, I am happy to say hi and have a drink with anyone coming through. Of course there is no football to be seen here that time of year, except the promotion playoffs of lower tiers. There's the Barça museum, though I think someone other than me should give their opinion of it.

I am planning to drive to Montpellier that same day.

• 4 weeks later...

Flight booked! Arriving in Paris on June 8 at 10am local time. 

This is my rough plan: 

June 8-9 in Paris (I may travel to Valenciennes on the 9th to catch Australia v Italy -- depends on what my travel partner wants ;). I plan on walking around going HOLY SHIT I'M IN PARIS all day the 8th -- and probably looking at Lisa and the tower)

June 10 Montpellier for Canada v Cameroon

June 11-14 Barcelona

June 15 Grenoble for Canada v New Zealand

June 16-17 Turin (Juve museum!)

June 18-19 Paris (June 19 Scotland v Argentina)

June 20 Reims for Canada v Netherlands

June 21-24 Paris with a day trip to Vimy and, if I can get tickets, June 23 Group A winner (likely France) v a 3rd place in Le Harve

June 24 YYZ

For anyone planning on Montpellier.

The old quarter is a not very large knoll and has many good restaurants. The region is Languedoc, I find it is not too expensive, people are quite pleasant, food is good.

It is a bit far to walk to the stadium from the centre, it is maybe 4 km. As not many pub options near the stadium, we'll have to meet up in town, or find a spot open nearby the stadium; there are buses and also, very convenient, a tramway line from the centre. 

The one tourist attraction you should not miss is the historical anatomy museum, part of the old Faculty of Medicine. It is like a cabinet of 19th century horrors, IMO one of the great finds amongst French museums. Mondays most museums are closed though in France, so would have to be the day before or the next.

Not much more to do in the city, though it is pleasant to hang around---unless you want to see the "futurist" Antigone neighbourhood done in the 80s, very close in. 

Don't be deceived by relative proximity to the coast, there really are not good beach options nearby. One cool city on the coast not far, if you have a vehicle, is Sète, which has canals, and a charming old cemetery overlooking the sea, fish restaurants; but is a sort of working-class canal city. Nimes and Arles are bigger cities within a half hour drive, both worth it if you have time.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 minutes ago, Duane Rollins said:

I've actually booked a table at a restaurant called Le Bellagio for 6pm on the 10th -- I wanted to make sure I could eat before the game and I was told that the pizza is southern France is apparently to die for (who knew).  

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g677459-d8370690-r514376206-Le_Bellagio-Juvignac_Herault_Occitanie.html

Remember a pizza in southern France automatically comes with olives. So a plain cheese pizza is actually a "cheese & olive" pizza.

On 4/22/2019 at 10:17 PM, Duane Rollins said:

I've actually booked a table at a restaurant called Le Bellagio for 6pm on the 10th -- I wanted to make sure I could eat before the game and I was told that the pizza is southern France is apparently to die for (who knew).  

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g677459-d8370690-r514376206-Le_Bellagio-Juvignac_Herault_Occitanie.html

I somehow do not believe you. You booked two months in advance for French pizza?

I fear I might end up eating a famous southern French French Fry sandwich:

Resultado de imagen de frites baguette

11 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

In France, when you put fries in a sandwich, or in the bun with your merguez/hot dog, it's called having at "à l'Américaine".

Also, if the #CanWNT plays Spain in Pamplona on June 1st, will you go?

Hey, did not know about that friendly, is it confirmed?

As Barça has a chance at the Champions final still, and it is on that day, I highly doubt I'd go to Pamplona; I'm hoping to get tickets through the internal club lottery.

Pamplona in any case is quite a bit further away for me than Montpellier from Barcelona.

I had an Americaine in Marseille, precisely, at Les Puces, and I thought they also put meat in it. It was, in any case, disgusting.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:00 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't be deceived by relative proximity to the coast, there really are not good beach options nearby.

My mom spent about 8 years of her childhood in the south of France, so I asked her about beaches nearby.

I asked her to read this, and she agreed that it is a reliable source for those looking for a beach séjour. Unnamed Trialist is correct, still options but not super straight forward. Good reference regardless.

https://www.golanguedoc.com/best-south-france-beaches/montpellier-beaches-in-languedoc.html

She 100% agrees about the museum.

Edited by apbsmith

On 4/28/2019 at 10:14 PM, admin said:

Does anyone have any experience in these places to pick some pre game / post game spots? 

Or any suggestions on how to go about finding something?

I don't know specific places, but I know Montpellier: it is nice in the old quarter, lively, lots of people around, but in June there will be space in places still, no tourism of any note yet. So I think it is better to be in town, find a pension or hotel near the old quarter or between it and the train station, and do our meet-ups and meals nearer the centre. Then to the stadium, the tramways are efficient. 

The good thing about an early spot in town is that all sorts of people can come through easily, then go to the stadium with plenty of lead time. 

PS Mondays are typical closure days in France, even some pubs and restaurants, so have to watch that.

We stayed in Montpellier last April for a week. Not really a tourist destination (a friend moved there for a year, so we were visiting her) but seemed like a wonderful place to live. As mentioned above, a tram takes you from city centre (with a stop right by the Gare) to a short walk to the Stade de la Mosson. The stadium is, well let's just say that if this was the men's world cup, it wouldn't be held in Montpellier. It's in a somewhat typical French suburb with apartment blocks. 

We took a tram and then walked (one or two kms?) to Plage Carnon. It was sandy, clean and fairly large. Better than most Canadian beaches in early June!

I tried to remember the names of a few restaurants we visited but couldn't. We did have some great French meals there but, if I were you, I'd at least try one that I'm not sure was even there last year. It is, and I kid you not, the Poutine House (yes, in English). Their logo is a moose wearing a lumberjack shirt, and they claim it's "Canadian Food." Bon appetit.

I'll chime in some more. I know it does not sound too authentic, but there are a lot of those imitation Irish pubs, which are not a bad option if we get numbers. All we need is to find one, in the old quarter is best as it's nicer (though some are in the newer part near the train station, less charming), that we can use as a base.

I'll try to make some suggestions before mid-month.

Have the earliest arrivals go speak to them and "reserve" it (eg Sunday afternoon and eve, all Monday before and AFTER game). Specifically, the Voyageurs base in Montpellier, as other Canadians will be all over the place.

Remember that there might be a thousand of us Canucks in Montpellier, or more even, so watch to reserve lodging early, or asap. As I wasn't planning to sleep there, not worried about this. 

For what it's worth a year later, here are a couple of restaurants to sample in Montpellier for a nice meal: Restaurant L'Angelus, we sat inside but the outside seating would be great, served our kids ice cream even though not on the menu (the French don't often go "off menu"); La Bistrote, we sat outside at this one, first time my kids were ever served an entire shrimp including head, antenae, etc. Not much English spoken at either, menus (cartes) in French only, but we really enjoyed the meals. Both are in pedestrian areas so no vehicle traffic to bother you if seated outside.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 12:00 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't be deceived by relative proximity to the coast, there really are not good beach options nearby. One cool city on the coast not far, if you have a vehicle, is Sète, which has canals, and a charming old cemetery overlooking the sea, fish restaurants; but is a sort of working-class canal city. Nimes and Arles are bigger cities within a half hour drive, both worth it if you have time.

Another option (which I visited some years ago) to the east is Aigues-Mortes, what used to be the entrance to the inland shipping for eastern France.  The beaches in that vicinity (Grau-du-Roi) are pretty nice.  But this still requires a car.

On 5/7/2019 at 4:39 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'll chime in some more. I know it does not sound too authentic, but there are a lot of those imitation Irish pubs, which are not a bad option if we get numbers. All we need is to find one, in the old quarter is best as it's nicer (though some are in the newer part near the train station, less charming), that we can use as a base.

I'll try to make some suggestions before mid-month.

Have the earliest arrivals go speak to them and "reserve" it (eg Sunday afternoon and eve, all Monday before and AFTER game). Specifically, the Voyageurs base in Montpellier, as other Canadians will be all over the place.

Remember that there might be a thousand of us Canucks in Montpellier, or more even, so watch to reserve lodging early, or asap. As I wasn't planning to sleep there, not worried about this. 

I am currently living in France(about 2 hours from both Montpellier and Grenoble). I like the suggestion of an "immitation" Irish Pub(which are actually more authentic than ones in Canada I find). 

In Montpellier there is Fitzpatricks which is in the old town. It's not super big but it's very sports centric and is in a big court where the festivities can spill out into(which unlike Canada is not frowned upon!). I can call them to set something up. They were the host for the Iceland supporters in the last men's world cup. Drinks here aren't cheap(they aren't cheap at any bar in France) and the likely don't have many food options(besides saucissons and chips), but they're are plenty of kebaberies and tacos places where you can grab things and bring em to the pub.

For transportation to Stade Mosson we walk 500m/5min to Tram #1 and it's a 30 minute or so trip then walk the remaining few minutes to the stadium.

As for the beach, it is fairly doable. Take the Tram #3 to the last stop and walk 30 minutes(like 3kms) and you'll be at a great beach(atleast it is for kids, with lots of sand and a nice slow entry).

Anyone wanting France info or tips you can pm me.

22 hours ago, Sam said:

So plan is to meet at Fitzpatricks next Monday then? I can post on the facebook page as well 

Hi @Sam 

Some people here have been in contact with them and though they haven't 100¡% confirmed, we think it is  a go. Just wait a day or so, and if have not gotten anything firm, we may go with it anyways or change if they are not cool.

This is how we want it to go in Montpellier and all game cities (Grenoble, Reims), so folks can get the word out:

FB page with name and address of pub or bar.

First Canada fans to arrive, even a few days early (which is likely to happen) should say hello in the name of the Voyageurs, and see if they'll put up some flags or similar, or if anyone has a banner. Take small flags to leave there to signal our presence.

All fans should tweet and retweet, especially onto accounts with many followers (players, CSA) and take pics, so we can get momentum. If it gets crowded, it can always spill over into the adjoining square. 

We'll leave from the pub with enough lead time, say 2.5-3 hours, by tramway. If folks are game, return and close out the place (open until 1 am everyday, and our match ends at 11).