Sign in to follow this  
MM3/MM2/MM

Referees you expect to see in CanPL

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, masster said:

Thats harsh. You have no idea whether that poster has watched her ref or not.

The match I am thinking of was an international in Montreal, I think. Might have been Canada vs. Colombia/Brazil, maybe 4-5 years ago. I have no idea why he thinks I would criticize a referee I have never seen. Why would anyone do that?!

Jeffrey seems to be trolling me these days because I keep noticing that he has posted right after me. Luckily I have him on mute so I don't see his post unless someone quotes it.

We have crossed swords a few times in the past so perhaps he feels I have bested him in those exchanges (I have 😉😁) and is now trying to get his "own back" with his rather childish and nonsensical retorts.

Standing by... 😂

Edited by Lofty

The fact that Gantar was better yesterday than the first day, well that is a good sign. It is also a way of growing our refs, it means more work for them, some unknown on the lines or doing 4th official, are getting experience. I think this is excellent. 

I also think that women reffing is very positive, and I have no illusions about the reality of things. I have seen women's football enough to be able to say that overall, the reffing is worse than for the men. I just saw Barça-Bayern in the women's Champions semifinal, and the ref, a Swiss, was really pretty poor and managed some things atrociously. They missed shocking stuff you would never seen in the men's game (a shot on goal is deflected off and not one of them sees it). This is because for men, around the world, you have to be promoted through a tiered system and it is hard and arduous, and of course all based on reffing committees giving you good reports.

If men's refs don't seem better than women in elite games, I believe it is because things are way close to the limit for the men, it is wilder and the edge is way sharper. And the players are more volatile and push way harder, and are way moutier as well. So reffing competitive men is hard and that makes it seem men's reffing is not so great at times. 

Reffing controversy is fun for a league, and bad blood about errors, and guys getting reds, like Smyrniotis after virulently complaining about the placement of a free kick leading to the winner (he was nervous, but it was silly). In two weeks we have come a huge way.

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

The match I am thinking of was an international in Montreal, I think. Might have been Canada vs. Colombia/Brazil, maybe 4-5 years ago. I have no idea why he thinks I would criticize a referee I have never seen. Why would anyone do that?!

Jeffrey seems to be trolling me these days because I keep noticing that he has posted right after me. Luckily I have him on mute so I don't see his post unless someone quotes it.

We have crossed swords a few times in the past so perhaps he feels I have bested him in those exchanges (I have 😉😁) and is now trying to get his "own back" with his rather childish and nonsensical retorts.

Just waiting for you to admit you were wrong about Chenard instead of hiding in the woodshed after shooting off your mouth, in a clearly sexist post. But that won't happen, will it? You'd have to have character to do that.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are not saying that Cavalry won because they got to play a few extra minutes undeservedly with 11 are you (second yellows should always be judiciously given)? 

I am not saying that. I have no way of knowing what would have happened after given a second yellow.

What I do know was not producing a second yellow was a blatant mistake and has significant consequences. Not only on the rest of that match, but on future matches.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just waiting for you to admit you were wrong about Chenard instead of hiding in the woodshed after shooting off your mouth, in a clearly sexist post. But that won't happen, will it? You'd have to have character to do that.

If you read sexism and misogyny into that previous post, that is your inference. Asking a poster to retract something that you inferred is not called for.

Posted (edited)

Even with Gantar, who most of us brace for whenever he refs, because we have seen him consistently and recently and he has proven his level time and time again, did not get the garbage thrown on him previous to his first game (which was rather calamitous) or even the second game. 

But Chenard did. By one particular person. She did not deserve it. And her reffing job, and the whole crew, proves she did not deserve it. 

The person in question has been cowering in the bushes since, like a child after throwing matches on the woodpile and then now owning up. Just say that you are glad she did a proper job, notwithstanding whatever you want to whine about to not have to accept your error.

All I ask from @Lofty is to not be a professional coward on a soccer message board, and to stop being obviously sexist then hiding behind subterfuge to not have to be an adult about it.

If you want to defend that garbage, Mass, fine, but just stay in your seat when m. 35 comes along next at BC Place and be consistent.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

41 minutes ago, masster said:

If you read sexism and misogyny into that previous post, that is your inference. Asking a poster to retract something that you inferred is not called for.

I see the troll has no comment to make on my criticism of the male referee for the Valour vs. HFX match! It is absurd to suggest that criticism of a female referee is simply based on her gender, unless of course that is stated explicitly. A better criticism of my post would be that it was based on only one match, and that would be fair. I have certainly seen good performances from female referees and I'm sure I have said as much at the time (likely over in the WNT forum) as, having done some officiating myself in the past, I do usually note the performance of the officials and appreciate a good one, male or female.

Maybe you should get the writers for season 8 of GoT to help you with your arguments, they might make more sense--right now that is the best insult I can come up with. 

It is not the first time I have enjoyed something that was fundamentally idiotical, if you get my drift.