Dayne St. Clair

section114row20

9 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Having a nice run in the MLS playoffs will give you that confidence!

I mean in general, I think if Dayne started on goal for Canada, I would feel our net is as well tended as with Borjan.. but with Max there was always a sense of uneasiness, mostly steaming from him looking unsure of himself.

The negativity towards Crepeau is sort of perplexing and a “what have you done for me lately” attitude. He’s been injured all season and led the league in saves last season. He’s also less error prone than Borjan IMO. The only knock on Crepeau compared to the other two is his height really. 

I obviously get why people are more comfortable with two presences like Borjan and St Clair. I see it as those two and then Crepeau at 3 but I would be comfortable with any of them (and Leutwiler as well tbh).

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The negativity towards Crepeau is sort of perplexing and a “what have you done for me lately” attitude. He’s been injured all season and led the league in saves last season. He’s also less error prone than Borjan IMO. The only knock on Crepeau compared to the other two is his height really. 

I obviously get why people are more comfortable with two presences like Borjan and St Clair. I see it as those two and then Crepeau at 3 but I would be comfortable with any of them (and Leutwiler as well tbh).

Nah, personally I've never rated Crepeau, and from Borjan to him it always was and still is a steep dip in quality. Seeing how Vancouver have been playing these past 2 season is it really surprising their keeper would lead in saves? Dayne has potential to play at a higher level than MLS, and the manner in which he has announced himself (in an American franchise nonetheless) out of nowhere is a testament of why he should be Canada's No2 and heir to Borjan.

49 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Nah, personally I've never rated Crepeau, and from Borjan to him it always was and still is a steep dip in quality. Seeing how Vancouver have been playing these past 2 season is it really surprising their keeper would lead in saves? Dayne has potential to play at a higher level than MLS, and the manner in which he has announced himself (in an American franchise nonetheless) out of nowhere is a testament of why he should be Canada's No2 and heir to Borjan.

I like Crepeau, but I sort of agree with this. I wouldn't be worried if we had to start Max in a big game, but I would certainly be more confident with Borjan, and probably with St. Clair to be honest, even though he has never played for us at any level. 

I buy the argument that St. Clair could play at a higher level. The Minnesota fans all rave about him and MLS neutrals are impressed. I doubt so many are wrong. Meanwhile, Crepeau for as good as he was last year never had anyone expecting him to move to Europe. He's a fine option to have, but I don't think he has the presence that St. Clair does. I look forward to him getting healthy to see where he is at though. 

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

our goalkeeper depth is improving    way to go St clair    my top three our  

Borjan

St Clair

Crepeau 

With Crepeau injured and Leutwiler playing I think the latter is in there. 

A keeper getting bombed on a weak team is not ideal, because with our CBs we need leadership at the back and he doesn't get to show it. 

Crepeau has always been excellent and is an experienced leader within the #CanMNT. He has the trust of his peers, earned over 5 years worth of #CanMNT call ups and even more international experience going back 10 years with our U17, U20s and U23s. He's been groomed by the CSA to perform at the international level for a reason - he's the real deal. 

St. Clair has had a great half season and has a very high ceiling, but has done zero at the international level. Simply being good in MLS does not necessarily translate to the Concacaf level. St. Clair has earned a call up, but will need to ride the bench and carry Max and Milan's bags for a couple years before playing for us in any game of consequence. 

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

St. Clair has had a great half season and has a very high ceiling, but has done zero at the international level. Simply being good in MLS does not necessarily translate to the Concacaf level. St. Clair has earned a call up, but will need to ride the bench and carry Max and Milan's bags for a couple years before playing for us in any game of consequence

okay, we aren't playing games so we can go with that.. until the coaching staff sees who the better keeper is 

13 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Agree 100%. Some of this from the same crowd who thought Roberts was more deserving of the starting spot in our U23 squad than Crépeau during the previous Olympic Qualifiers. And where is Roberts now? With Guyana. 

49 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Borjan

St. Clair

Crepeau

Hasal

and we've already forgotten about Leutwiler. Who is playing another game at club level for Fleetwood Town right now.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Ironically, St. Clair was helped at Minnesota United by the fact that Greg Ranjitsingh got a serious knee injury that required surgery.

T&T is a hot mess right now; it's prudent for St. Clair to stick with Canada. I'm not worried.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I hope St. Clair continues his excellent run of form and it translates into permanent class down the road.  Unfortunately, as quickly as people are to ordain they are equally as fast at writing guys off too hastily if they hit a rough patch in their development.  

I only watched the start of the last game but his reflex save on the line was top notch.  I haven't seen him enough to give an opinion of the other important parts of his game, like penalty area presence and distribution, so I look forward to the conference final.

14 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I hope St. Clair continues his excellent run of form and it translates into permanent class down the road.  Unfortunately, as quickly as people are to ordain they are equally as fast at writing guys off too hastily if they hit a rough patch in their development.  

I only watched the start of the last game but his reflex save on the line was top notch.  I haven't seen him enough to give an opinion of the other important parts of his game, like penalty area presence and distribution, so I look forward to the conference final.

Ive watched every MNUFC games cause of him. He's the whole package. Reminds me a lot of Zack Steffen at times, which is not surprising. Maryland seems to know know what its doing in regards to developing keepers.

I also don't think I've seen him lose a 1v1 when he comes out, or have any blunder. One of the reason why MNUFC are where they are now is because Dayne has helped them win games they've had no business winning. This guy will for sure push Borjan.

Edited by LeoH037

12 hours ago, Bdog said:

Big game against Seattle tonight. I don’t want them in the final without TFC there so let’s hope Dayne has a huge game!

Only started watching in the second half and he hasn’t been too busy (watched one smash against the post and picked one out of the net that was called back).  But they are still winning 2-0 so things going well so far.