2019 Algarve Cup

@tc-in-bc & @Vic , might as well start a new thread for the Algarve Cup.

As was posted already by @tc-in-bchttp://www.fpf.pt/News/Todas-as-notícias/Notícia/news/19966

Same 5 stadiums as last year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Algarve_Cup

With the new format that is based on groups of 3, it would seem that only 3 matches will be played but on 4 match days.

Based on the CSA information:

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-begins-fifa-women-s-world-cup-france-2019-campaign-with-two-matches-in-europe-followed-by-the-algarve-cup--p161993

In our case:

Wednesday February 27th vs Iceland

Friday March 1st vs Scotland

Monday March 4th - no match for us

Wednesday March 6th - opponent TBD based on placement.

Scotland will actually play Iceland in Spain in a January friendly, so their fixture will be a rematch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Vic said:

The odds of seeing a new name in a roster are about 100/1.

Pretty strong statement about the depth of women's soccer in Canada.

I'm not sure what you are saying? Out of 24 players, 8 are over 26, Leon and Zadorsky are 26, Beckie is 24 and the rest of the roster is 23 or younger (that's 13 players 23 or younger!) In the last year or two we've seen Grosso, Huitema, Rose, Carle, etc introduced into the first team.

There are lots of new names introduced lately.  Are you talking about there being little room for young players over the last few years to break into the team?  I'm just wondering where you're coming from. (By the way, I do agree with the notion that young players are going to have to work to get onto this team).

Just looking for clarity on your post!

Hey there - sorry missed this. Good question. If you go back 20 years in the program it's been more like a family gathering than a national team. In countries with leagues you tend to have a lot more turnover, who is on form, who is off, etc. The reason we have young players has usually been most of the oldies want real lives. The one's who can make a decent living in the game stick and hang. When is the last time a 25-30yr old Canadian (in her prime) was brought in? That should be happening every single camp.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:25 AM, Vic said:

Hey there - sorry missed this. Good question. If you go back 20 years in the program it's been more like a family gathering than a national team. In countries with leagues you tend to have a lot more turnover, who is on form, who is off, etc. The reason we have young players has usually been most of the oldies want real lives. The one's who can make a decent living in the game stick and hang. When is the last time a 25-30yr old Canadian (in her prime) was brought in? That should be happening every single camp.

Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought that is where you were going and I agree. I think the women's game in Canada is worse off than the men's right now. Until very recently there have been very few opportunities for our girls to play beyond US college. The euro leagues are starting to provide opportunities for some of the best young players, but the NWSL is an absolute mess. 

As a result, in my opinion ("opinion" being the operative word) the CWNT has slogged on with familiar faces and a familiar style of play as the rest of the world is catching up fast and surpassing us with much more skill and technical abilities as we rely on "athleticism" and the hope that one or two world class players can have a moment of brilliance to get us through. 

I hope that changes as more opportunities open up over seas, and hopefully in our own back yard as the CPL grows.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:04 PM, Symp_Res said:

Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought that is where you were going and I agree. I think the women's game in Canada is worse off than the men's right now. Until very recently there have been very few opportunities for our girls to play beyond US college. The euro leagues are starting to provide opportunities for some of the best young players, but the NWSL is an absolute mess. 

As a result, in my opinion ("opinion" being the operative word) the CWNT has slogged on with familiar faces and a familiar style of play as the rest of the world is catching up fast and surpassing us with much more skill and technical abilities as we rely on "athleticism" and the hope that one or two world class players can have a moment of brilliance to get us through. 

I hope that changes as more opportunities open up over seas, and hopefully in our own back yard as the CPL grows.

I think you're being too hard on CWNT.  Compare your team to the USWNT.  The US is much larger and has a much bigger pool of players to pull from.  Yet the rosters are pretty stagnant with a new face here and there.  Player development is focused on the youth levels.  If a player hasn't broken through by 20, they won't be getting development resources to surpass an existing roster player.  Thus you only see young new faces and not those in their mid-20s. 

If the women's leagues ever become stronger at developing players, this could change.  But right now Canadian women seem screwed.  The rare one gets a starting opportunity in the NWSL and they are forced to go abroad where it's hit and miss if they play strong enough competition to develop further.  I haven't understood why so few have started in the NSWL.  IMO, several have been good enough but passed over for people who seem less capable.  Maybe more teams would change this but I think the CSA needs to use some influence to make sure their players are allocated where they're wanted and not wasted. 

On 2/24/2019 at 1:04 PM, nstarsfan said:

I think you're being too hard on CWNT.  Compare your team to the USWNT.  The US is much larger and has a much bigger pool of players to pull from.  Yet the rosters are pretty stagnant with a new face here and there.  Player development is focused on the youth levels.  If a player hasn't broken through by 20, they won't be getting development resources to surpass an existing roster player.  Thus you only see young new faces and not those in their mid-20s. 

I agree, but I also think that the US are in the same boat as Canada.  Other nations - specifically in Europe - are developing soccer players at a much higher rate than Canada or the US.  The US does have the population to draw from, but I don't think either National Team are going to improve (relative to other countries) until they have a proper development system in place.  The same can be said for both Men's teams as well.

BTW, is there any word on streaming for Wednesday?  Canadasoccer.com? 

3 hours ago, red card said:

A worrying trend since Kenneth Heiner-Møllertook over is the difficultly in scoring even one goal in a match.

Obviously Sinclair has fallen off and no one has filled the gap. In part, KHM seems hesitant to play the younger, pacer players a full 90.

I'm not sure it's about Sinclair falling off.  Someone needs to get the ball up there for her to score.  But I think KMH seems stubborn in sticking with this lineup and the team seems more dynamic once subs come in.  He better start experimenting to figure out the starting 11 or they won't make it out of the WWC group stage.  The midfield needs rethinking and the forward group definitely seems better once subs are made.

Iceland's tactics paid off but Canada still could have came out on top with two glorious chances. I hope to see Leon out there today as i find she is super aggressive in the final third.

They have virtually no chance to play in final but should be in the 3rd 4th place match.

1 minute ago, sting said:

Hate those uniforms.

Yes who and when was it decided that Canada is now black and white?

Poor finishing on 2 breakaways kept this game close at least Sinclair did get 1. meanwhile back at the ranch Poland is leading 2-0 over Spain at HT. 

5 hours ago, mtlfan said:

Yes who and when was it decided that Canada is now black and white?

Poor finishing on 2 breakaways kept this game close at least Sinclair did get 1. meanwhile back at the ranch Poland is leading 2-0 over Spain at HT. 

Scotland were dirty but they played a very good defensive, tight marking, pressing, disciplined game. In the end it was fitting that they were undone by a foul (in the box for a pen).

5 hours ago, sting said:

Hate those uniforms.

I like them. White with black shorts and red numbers is quite a classic look (albeit not for Canada, but still...).

Looks like Canada is going for a 3-5-2 with Schmidt playing as one of the CBs.  Not a bad move considering we have very little fullback depth, and this allows us to use non-defenders out wide in the midfield.  I believe Beckie was playing the right-wingback role the last 2 games, and Chapman/Lawrence taking up the left-wingback role.  This also allows us to move Lawrence up and utilize some of her creativity and skilled passing.

Archived