CPL players with senior Canada caps

Kent

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If the definition is the same as "Canadian domestic player" and applies to the players labelled that way on the league website roster tracker there is no obvious reason for there to be an issue on that.

the classification of welshman as a domestic could create issues for him as guyanese law frowns on dual citizenship. it might not seem like an issue but guyana's laws are somewhat blurry and there has been backlash in guyana towards public guyanese figures having dual citizenship.

Edited by matty

7 hours ago, MtlMario said:

That is not right. He should be an international, according to me.

On 3/9/2019 at 4:34 PM, RS said:

Another Canadian spot taken up by a player ineligible for Canada.

It's not that big a deal right now, but the precedent is set.

Expecting this league to be purely for Canadian eligible people is really funny. This league was always going to be for Canadians, as in people with citizenship or residency or what have you. And all those Canadians who end up playing for other countries do so simply because they aren't good enough for Canada.

So you're saying a Canadian who never gets a look from our country and if given a chance to play for another programs (very usually a weaker program) should then be told sorry you're an international now and screw you for trying to play international soccer, then that's a pretty narrow-minded view.

MLS has a large number of US born players who are currently playing their trade for other countries and there is no issue there.

3 hours ago, Vince193 said:

So you're saying a Canadian who never gets a look from our country and if given a chance to play for another programs (very usually a weaker program) should then be told sorry you're an international now and screw you for trying to play international soccer, then that's a pretty narrow-minded view.

Uh, no. I said what I wrote. You seem to have filled in the rest with assumptions.

I only brought it up again because some on here insisted that anyone not eligible for Canada would be counted as an international in the CPL. That is clearly not the case, given Springer, Blasco and Welshman's signings and subsequent designations as domestics.

I'm fine with it, as obviously the majority of the league is going to be Canada-eligible for a long time. All I've been pointing out is that the CPL could face a problem in the long term (a la MLS) with many domestics being ineligible for Canada, but it's a problem that is years away.

MLS has a large number of US born players who are currently playing their trade for other countries and there is no issue there.

MLS' problem has more to do with the ease of gaining a U.S. green card. Their percentage of U.S-eligible domestics is dwindling, although the overall number has grown due to expansion.

Edited by RS

while we're talking national teams and with several national teams with canpl players playing games, who do you think gets some action?

my picks: springer, welshman, and de jong. i know estevez got a call up but don't know if taipei see him as ready yet while the others are established

On 3/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, Obinna said:

I can't believe he is 27, yet Jamie Peters is 31.

What ever happened to him, as you said he is only 31 years old and has not played in years, last club and national team appearance was in 2012. He just fell off the map.

45 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The league hasn't even started yet and they are in preseason. We might see De Jong and others in the Gold Cup

I was disappointed at first, but it makes sense. None will have played any games yet and better for them to stay in preseason camp and gain familiarity with their new teams

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I was disappointed at first, but it makes sense. None will have played any games yet and better for them to stay in preseason camp and gain familiarity with their new teams

The 2019 team we'll send to the CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship might be CPL heavy this October

Looking at who did make the roster, I am sure one of De Jong or Awuah should crack the squad at left back. Bekker and Haber are good players, but we're too deep in those positions clearly. Hopefully the CPL develops one or two defenders (Skylar Thomas / Luca Gasparotto with the outside chances)

Edited by michaeltfc91

Playing for Valerenga is not too shabby a pedigree for the left back that did get picked and Norwegian top tier teams are still in preseason mode as well. Think there needs to be some realism that the players being signed by CanPL are well down the depth chart in CMNT terms based on where things stand in the here and now. Nothing wrong with that because adding more depth so there are fewer Unaffiliated FC players was something that was very much needed. CanPL should be able to uncover a few more Mark-Anthony Kaye type players in the years ahead that put the pieces together after getting discarded by the MLS teams, and will no doubt also find some promising youth players, but they won't hang around long once larger clubs with bigger salary budgets start to get interested.

The CPL will add depth to our player pool but I don't expect a lot CPL players to be called up to the NT....probably the youth teams though.

The only way I could see CPL players on the mens national team is if it's a young talented player rapidly developing and hasn't been scooped up by a bigger team yet or there are a bunch or injuries to other top players or we are going through a severe talent drought...

I was thinking that since we a short on the depth in defense there was a possibility we might see a player or two from CPL get called up but I dunno..

The CanPL website has an article describing a CanPL only CMNT roster:

https://canpl.ca/article/what-would-a-canmnt-made-out-of-cpl-players-look-like

Something to ponder maybe is how many of Croatia's roster at the World Cup were from their domestic Prva Liga:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia_at_the_2018_FIFA_World_Cup#Squad

Unless you have one of the top domestic pro leagues in financial terms, it's usually not good from a national team standpoint to have too many national players playing at home.

The 1000 minutes for U-21 players angle was a good way to try to ensure that there is some sort of genuine youth development role happening even in the absence of MLS style free-to-play academies, so it will be interesting to see how much of a dent CanPL puts into the normally MLS Academy heavy rosters at the youth national team level in the years ahead. 

• 1 month later...

Updated the original post with Petrasso, Malonga, and Welshman. I'm not actually sure how many caps Malonga has. Transfermarkt had him at 5 and also 7, and soccerway mentioned 2. So I just picked one. If anyone has reliable info on him (or can just point out how stupid I was somehow) that'd be appreciated. With Petrasso signed now all teams have at least one player with senior national team caps. Now only Wanderers don't have any Canada caps.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm not actually sure how many caps Malonga has. Transfermarkt had him at 5 and also 7, and soccerway mentioned 2. So I just picked one. If anyone has reliable info on him (or can just point out how stupid I was somehow) that'd be appreciated.

It's 7 official caps for Malonga:

• 1 cap in 2015 African Cup of Nations qualfying
  • 2 in the 2015 African Cup of Nations
  • 3 in 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifying
  • 1 friendly appearance against Morocco in 2016

https://www.national-football-teams.com/player/57947/Dominique_Malonga.html

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Do you believe that what happened to Quillan Roberts and Ryan Telfer will arrive for other binational playing in the CanPL?

I'm pretty sure some players like Dominic Samuel, Chris Nanco, Ali Musse, can be called by other national teams

Edited by mtlsab

15 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

Do you believe that what happened to Quillan Roberts and Ryan Telfer will arrive for other binational playing in the CanPL?

I'm pretty sure some players like Dominic Samuel, Chris Nanco, Ali Musse, can be called by other national teams

Musse would be a star for Somalia, but obviously he must still want to take his chances with Canada before commiting to one of the worst NTs in the world.

Nanco is eligible to play for India and Jamaica, but I'm not sure if he was enough of a standout this year to attract attention from either one. I would say he definitely wasn't good enough for Jamaica, and India is pretty hard to know since their whole team is domestic-based.

Dunno about Samuel, but I'm guessing he has Caribbean heritage?

Johnny Grant could also play for Guyana and Skylar Thomas could play for Trinidad.

Will more of them commit? Probably some, but I'm sure many of these guys in their mid-20s are still waiting to see how their careers pan out before completely giving up on playing for Canada. Some guys might be content with the possibility of only getting a few caps for Canada and fading away, but most would like to have more substantial international careers, so it usually pays to wait a little.

8 minutes ago, Zem said:

Musse would be a star for Somalia, but obviously he must still want to take his chances with Canada before commiting to one of the worst NTs in the world.

Nanco is eligible to play for India and Jamaica, but I'm not sure if he was enough of a standout this year to attract attention from either one. I would say he definitely wasn't good enough for Jamaica, and India is pretty hard to know since their whole team is domestic-based.

Dunno about Samuel, but I'm guessing he has Caribbean heritage?

Johnny Grant could also play for Guyana and Skylar Thomas could play for Trinidad.

Will more of them commit? Probably some, but I'm sure many of these guys in their mid-20s are still waiting to see how their careers pan out before completely giving up on playing for Canada. Some guys might be content with the possibility of only getting a few caps for Canada and fading away, but most would like to have more substantial international careers, so it usually pays to wait a little.

Probably, Yousef form HFX was starter as a forward dor Somalia without playing any minute in CanPL

Probably for Samuel