CPL players with senior Canada caps

Kent

29 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Soccerway tends to be more accurate for stats

https://us.soccerway.com/players/bertrand-owundi-ekoo/532069/

He has two caps, not three and yes - they’re official caps. 

Wait, now I'm confused. Where do you see his caps on there? This is all I could find and it makes it look like 3, not 2.

image.png.62fdb0d89e96253962b55de73196f4b1.png

Edit: I see it now.

image.png.49a0e013469cf3f6e8c4fccdf798a084.png

Edited by Kent

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Wait, now I'm confused. Where do you see his caps on there? This is all I could find and it makes it look like 3, not 2.

image.png.62fdb0d89e96253962b55de73196f4b1.png

Edit: I see it now.

image.png.49a0e013469cf3f6e8c4fccdf798a084.png

Looks like he stayed on the bench for one of those games.

someone on reddit noted justin springer is listed as part of york 9 despite no team announcement. he is also listed as a member on wikipedia and apparently confirmed on twitter by jacques passt, the head coach of his national team saint kitts and nevis. he has 10 caps for them

https://twitter.com/coachpassy/status/1070771019336441857

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Springer

if true and stkn go to the gold cup (which seems likely) this could be big for cpl optics wise

Edited by matty

• 1 month later...

OK, after a bit of a hiatus, I've updated the original post. I've added Marcel de Jong, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Ben Fisk, Quillan Roberts, Mason Trafford, James Marcelin, Justin Springer, Kareem Moses, and Elimane Oumar Cisse.

Obviously Pacific shot up the table with their additions. Edmonton also surpassed Forge, and Valour still doesn't have any capped players.

Let me know if you see any mistakes!

14 minutes ago, matty said:

sorry missed the signing of marcelin

Not sure what you had said before you edited your comment, but I'm guessing if I get a bit less lazy sometime and put the team name along with the country name in the second table it will make things easier/better for people.

OK fine, I'll do it now.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Not sure what you had said before you edited your comment, but I'm guessing if I get a bit less lazy sometime and put the team name along with the country name in the second table it will make things easier/better for people.

OK fine, I'll do it now.

oh i was just confused how fce had more caps than forge and then realized marcelin was why. no big deal

Just now, matty said:

oh i was just confused how fce had more caps than forge and then realized marcelin was why. no big deal

Yeah OK. That's what I thought you must've done. The change I just put up was easy to do. Now it'll be easier to see "Ah, this Marcelin guy is on FCE, that's how they surpassed Forge!"

On 1/10/2019 at 3:02 AM, Kent said:

This is one of the reasons I want to stop updating when the season kicks off, and start again next offseason. I want to see year to year the changes. Both in terms of signing capped players, and players getting capped based on CPL.

The other reason I want to stop then is laziness.

Here I was thinking we should find a way to force you to update regularly, or just harass you.

I personally don't care about comparisons, I want a running total, and it's your responsibility. I hope you are up to it.

17 hours ago, Kent said:

OK, after a bit of a hiatus, I've updated the original post. I've added Marcel de Jong, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Ben Fisk, Quillan Roberts, Mason Trafford, James Marcelin, Justin Springer, Kareem Moses, and Elimane Oumar Cisse.

Obviously Pacific shot up the table with their additions. Edmonton also surpassed Forge, and Valour still doesn't have any capped players.

Let me know if you see any mistakes!

Also worth noting that along with Valour, Wanderers are the only other team with no CANADIAN capped players. Which is a bit of a bummer - hopefully CPL helps change that!

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Here I was thinking we should find a way to force you to update regularly, or just harass you.

I personally don't care about comparisons, I want a running total, and it's your responsibility. I hope you are up to it.

I'll consider it. It will mostly come down to how busy I am and how much work it turns out to be and how well my interest is maintained. I suppose this period is the busiest it will ever be, so it's possible I can update numbers between international windows. For my own interest I definitely want before and after numbers. Would be nice to know how many caps for players WHILE they are in the league as well.

4 hours ago, Copes said:

Also worth noting that along with Valour, Wanderers are the only other team with no CANADIAN capped players. Which is a bit of a bummer - hopefully CPL helps change that!

While Valour doesn't have any Canadian caps, Galvis was called into the 28 man - national team camp for the Curacao friendly in 2017 but  ultimately did not make the game roster.

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'll consider it. It will mostly come down to how busy I am and how much work it turns out to be and how well my interest is maintained. I suppose this period is the busiest it will ever be, so it's possible I can update numbers between international windows. For my own interest I definitely want before and after numbers. Would be nice to know how many caps for players WHILE they are in the league as well.

I am really just joking about how obsessive we can be on this board. But also as a way to say great work on that list, it is really interesting and makes us all realise that in spite of the modesty, there is prestige in CPL as well. 

My question: a few players are Canadians but capped by another country, being not quality enough to make our national team, or perhaps impatient, or perhaps also with allegiances to that other country. So I wonder: should CPL be going after that kind of profile: Canadian, but capped by another country? Is it part of the "league for Canadians " package, or not?

I'm thinking of a guy like Miki Cantave who I've followed. Played youth for us, then, after the New Zealand match (not being called in for it) he switched to Haiti and ended up playing that friendly vs. Argentina. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Now that we are developing a base of Canadians with caps in the CanPL, will the national team begin running domestic camps like you see with many Central American countries?

I know, there is still distance to contend with, but isn't there value in running B style camps? They don't even need to fall on FIFA dates, per se.

Lots of other countries play outside of the FIFA window, right? Now that we have a league with current and prospective internationals, why not us?

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Now that we are developing a base of Canadians with caps in the CanPL, will the national team begin running domestic camps like you see with many Central American countries?

I know, there is still distance to contend with, but isn't there value in running B style camps? They don't even need to fall on FIFA dates, per se.

Lots of other countries play outside of the FIFA window, right? Now that we have a league with current and prospective internationals, why not us?

Add in the MLS and USL guys, and there's literally no reason why there shouldn't be an annual camp in January.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am really just joking about how obsessive we can be on this board. But also as a way to say great work on that list, it is really interesting and makes us all realise that in spite of the modesty, there is prestige in CPL as well. 

My question: a few players are Canadians but capped by another country, being not quality enough to make our national team, or perhaps impatient, or perhaps also with allegiances to that other country. So I wonder: should CPL be going after that kind of profile: Canadian, but capped by another country? Is it part of the "league for Canadians " package, or not?

I'm thinking of a guy like Miki Cantave who I've followed. Played youth for us, then, after the New Zealand match (not being called in for it) he switched to Haiti and ended up playing that friendly vs. Argentina. 

I appreciate the compliment on the work. Knowing people are getting something out of it motivates me more than if this thread were silent. Don't worry though, I'm not close to the point of feeling obligated, I'll only do it as much as my interest takes me so any feedback is appreciated and considered, but you don't have to worry about feeling like you are giving me a homework assignment :)

As for your question about Canadians capped by other nations, I don't have an answer for that, but I have to admit I had been assuming for a while that they would be using the Voyageurs Cup definition of a Canadian (meaning, eligible for Canada). As long as the number of domestics that aren't eligible to play for Canada is small, I won't be too concerned. Hopefully such a population doesn't grow at a greater rate than Canadians that ARE eligible to play for Canada (or at least, not to the point where it becomes problematic and stunts CMNT growth).

One guy with senior caps who is still on a free is Stefan Cebara.  Does anyone know what happened to him? I can think of a handful of capped Canadians in their 20s who aren’t attached. 

Guys who have been called to the CMNT but never capped include Awuah, Choiniere, Grant, Gasparotto, Di Chiara, Galvis, Carreiro, Farago. 

2 hours ago, masster said:

You can add Welshman to your list under Foreign Caps

Another Canadian spot taken up by a player ineligible for Canada.

It's not that big a deal right now, but the precedent is set.

2 hours ago, RS said:

Another Canadian spot taken up by a player ineligible for Canada.

It's not that big a deal right now, but the precedent is set.

he's taking up one of the 7 foreign spots. Guyana doesn't allow duals

Edited by matty

You don't get to draft the employment legislation that CanPL operates under. It is crystal clear now that either citizenship or PR status (and probably refugee status as well) is enough to be considered a domestic player by CanPL as the individual concerned has the legal right to work in Canada without needing a work visa. Even Victor Blasco of Pacific FC who there has been some confusion about is now listed as a domestic player:

https://canpl.ca/article/rosters-canadian-premier-league-clubs-continue-filling-squads-as-pre-season-approaches