Veteran Canadian soccer official Morgan Quarry let go after 19 years

This story just popped up on my Reddit stream:

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/veteran-canadian-soccer-official-morgan-quarry-let-go-after-19-years

Morgan Quarry, who worked with 10 different head coaches of the Canadian men’s soccer team, is no longer with the Canadian Soccer Association after 19 years on the job. An association spokesman said Quarry’s men’s national team general manager job no longer exists “as part of the ongoing internal reorganization within the national teams department.”

His name used to be mentioned on this board quite a lot when people uncovered Canadian players nobody knew about playing overseas.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

...Will one person deal with logistics for all teams? 

Seems to be what is being hinted at in the article. Having the CWNT head coach taking over the CMNT job is an unusual scenario, which might have inspired that sort of rationalization, if John Herdman was used to dealing with somebody else in that role and preferred to keep doing so. Everything that I've ever seen mentioned on here about Morgan Quarry has been positive, so probably best not to speculate any further and to hope it all works out well for him.

His hiring seemed to correspond with things starting to run more professionally at the CSA and also with increased cooperation with the Voyageurs. One never knows the full reasons for such moves but when good people like this are let go I do not interpret this as a good sign. It increases my unease that things are going in the wrong direction under the current CSA leadership.

It’s sad that Morgan Quarry got let go.  Maybe of internal rumblings within the CSA, not that its new anyways, but I remember he used to post on the board way back in the early 2000’s and stopped abruptly.  Man, this board used to be a livelier forum and now, very divisive and alot of good people left.

Very sorry to hear this - I met him numerous times back in my “traveling” days in the early 2000’s when I had the time to follow the team around. He was always helpful and always appreciative and would help the traveling fans get great (but unobtrusive) access to the players and training sessions. He also helped to get the V’s a copy of the game tape of Canada’s 3-1 win over Switzerland even though the game wasn’t broadcast anywhere - he sent me a copy on VHS and then I would make copies and mail them around to fellow interested V’s in those pre-torrent days. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived