Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, red card said:

This ain't 2010 anymore. We aren't looking any warm body available.

Just because somebody puts in a few good matches in MLS doesn't mean he becomes part of the starting eleven or even part of final roster for World Cup qualifying in 2021. Just because you can watch him start to blossom doesn't mean he starts over somebody that is only watched by a couple of posters.

Plus, history has shown emerging MLS players have tended to have flat performances in their first national team appearances. Besides getting more seasoning at the MLS level, they need more seasoning at the national team via friendlies, Gold Cup and/or u23.  

 

All very good points. But I think Buchanan is different, sort of like Kaye or Laryea (two MLS guys who took well to the international game). He isn’t just an average footballer who is getting minutes based on adequacy, like Teibert. I think he has the talent and intelligence to contribute right away to the MNT.

It’s funny though the times we are in as CMNT fans - Buchanan wasn’t even making u23 mock lists here just a month or two ago. Competition is fierce and very close .. it bodes well for us. So different from the talented squad of 2008 where the talent was incredibly strong but the drop off meant that none of them ever had to worry about losing their spots. I.e Our midfield went from JDG/Hutch/Bernier to ... Harmse. Radzinski to Issey.. etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep in mind most mocks in his draft year had him going top 2 or 3 and some first. Not sure why he dropped. Ended up going 9th. St. Clair went 7th and even though TFC needed a young goalie and wingers

Tajon Buchanan is so fucking good that I had to log in and tell everyone.

Buchanan scores the Revs second goal in tonight’s playoff game  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s funny though the times we are in as CMNT fans - Buchanan wasn’t even making u23 mock lists here just a month or two ago. Competition is fierce and very close .. it bodes well for us. So different from the talented squad of 2008 where the talent was incredibly strong but the drop off meant that none of them ever had to worry about losing their spots. I.e Our midfield went from JDG/Hutch/Bernier to ... Harmse. Radzinski to Issey.. etc. 

Good point, neither of Buchanan or St. Clair were even talked about prior to this season, and at this point I'd confidently ship them both to Tokyo and pencil them in as starters with the U23 (hell, personally I feel better about St Clair then I ever have about Crepeau). Shows how much we know, and that not every player's path to pro soccer looks the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly has the athleticism for the RB spot.  Might have to improve defending when the guy he is marking is not on the ball as well as the other nuances of back line team defending/coverage, especially far post balls so he doesn't get Nerwinski-ed.

I hope he continues his trajectory from that RB/RWB position next year and beyond.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Keep in mind most mocks in his draft year had him going top 2 or 3 and some first. Not sure why he dropped. Ended up going 9th. St. Clair went 7th and even though TFC needed a young goalie and wingers and both these guys are from Toronto, they decided to take GRIFFIN DORSEY 6th! Good job Toronto.

Yeah, I was thinking about that ... sigh ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Keep in mind most mocks in his draft year had him going top 2 or 3 and some first. Not sure why he dropped. Ended up going 9th. St. Clair went 7th and even though TFC needed a young goalie and wingers and both these guys are from Toronto, they decided to take GRIFFIN DORSEY 6th! Good job Toronto.

Don’t let the TFC apologists hear this. They’ve never made a mistake and all decisions with disregarding Canadians are explained.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny Shaffelburgh I think it was in 2019 in the beginning of the TFC season was given a decent amount of playing time by TFC and did impress at first but then faded as the season went on but he showed some  flashes. Then last year just didn’t impress much whenever he played some minutes. But Buchanan just made the most of any playing time he got with New England and kept getting better where Bruce Arena just could not leave him off the roster. I’m hoping Shaffelburgh can improve this year because he has shown he has some potential and maybe be this season’s Tajon Buchanan. Hopefully Buchanan can inspire a guy like Shaffelburgh and he has a good season too, because he has speed and has some skill that he can hopefully improve on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoccMan said:

It’s funny Shaffelburgh I think it was in 2019 in the beginning of the TFC season was given a decent amount of playing time by TFC and did impress at first but then faded as the season went on but he showed some  flashes. Then last year just didn’t impress much whenever he played some minutes. But Buchanan just made the most of any playing time he got with New England and kept getting better where Bruce Arena just could not leave him off the roster. I’m hoping Shaffelburgh can improve this year because he has shown he has some potential and maybe be this season’s Tajon Buchanan. Hopefully Buchanan can inspire a guy like Shaffelburgh and he has a good season too, because he has speed and has some skill that he can hopefully improve on.

I've said it a few times before but Shaffelburg would make a great super sub, he'd fly past tired defenders. It was weird how he got a stretch of starts then Vanney basically made him disappear afterwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I've said it a few times before but Shaffelburg would make a great super sub, he'd fly past tired defenders. It was weird how he got a stretch of starts then Vanney basically made him disappear afterwards.

I hear he has been having a good training camp according to new TFC head coach Armas, and with Armas not shy in giving young players minutes from his past history with NY Red Bulls maybe Shaffelbugh sees more minutes and makes the most of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Keep in mind most mocks in his draft year had him going top 2 or 3 and some first. Not sure why he dropped. Ended up going 9th. St. Clair went 7th and even though TFC needed a young goalie and wingers and both these guys are from Toronto, they decided to take GRIFFIN DORSEY 6th! Good job Toronto.

Only reason why Dorsey got picked was that he's a Generation Adidas player, so no cap hit. 

Hindsight is 20/20, and with so many draft picks doesn't pan out nowadays, I can see why TFC FO went with Dorsey rather than the Canadians. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yohan said:

Only reason why Dorsey got picked was that he's a Generation Adidas player, so no cap hit. 

Hindsight is 20/20, and with so many draft picks doesn't pan out nowadays, I can see why TFC FO went with Dorsey rather than the Canadians. 

Wasn't Buchanan Generation Adidas as well? Same position as Dorsey too...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buchanon didnt click his first season with the REVS, and it took awhile and a position change to really ramp it up this past season.  Being a Gen Adidas and having a team that has some faith in him made sure he had some time to find his way.  Which is what drives me crazy about the guys who say player X didnt turn out after TFC gave him 300min a year for a couple seasons, and when TFC releases them at 22-23 they never caught on with another club, so managment was right.  So many examples of guys going nowhere with a particular coach/system/team etc and just needed the right push to go on and take off.  

I hate to defend TFC, but they have drafted thier fair share of CDN, Bekker, Welshman, Thomas, Higgins, Chapman might as well have been a draft pick.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Buchanon didnt click his first season with the REVS, and it took awhile and a position change to really ramp it up this past season.  Being a Gen Adidas and having a team that has some faith in him made sure he had some time to find his way.  Which is what drives me crazy about the guys who say player X didnt turn out after TFC gave him 300min a year for a couple seasons, and when TFC releases them at 22-23 they never caught on with another club, so managment was right.  So many examples of guys going nowhere with a particular coach/system/team etc and just needed the right push to go on and take off.  

I hate to defend TFC, but they have drafted thier fair share of CDN, Bekker, Welshman, Thomas, Higgins, Chapman might as well have been a draft pick.  

Position change ???? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...