4 hours ago, red card said:

This ain't 2010 anymore. We aren't looking any warm body available.

Just because somebody puts in a few good matches in MLS doesn't mean he becomes part of the starting eleven or even part of final roster for World Cup qualifying in 2021. Just because you can watch him start to blossom doesn't mean he starts over somebody that is only watched by a couple of posters.

Plus, history has shown emerging MLS players have tended to have flat performances in their first national team appearances. Besides getting more seasoning at the MLS level, they need more seasoning at the national team via friendlies, Gold Cup and/or u23.  

All very good points. But I think Buchanan is different, sort of like Kaye or Laryea (two MLS guys who took well to the international game). He isn’t just an average footballer who is getting minutes based on adequacy, like Teibert. I think he has the talent and intelligence to contribute right away to the MNT.

It’s funny though the times we are in as CMNT fans - Buchanan wasn’t even making u23 mock lists here just a month or two ago. Competition is fierce and very close .. it bodes well for us. So different from the talented squad of 2008 where the talent was incredibly strong but the drop off meant that none of them ever had to worry about losing their spots. I.e Our midfield went from JDG/Hutch/Bernier to ... Harmse. Radzinski to Issey.. etc. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buchanan scores the Revs second goal in tonight’s playoff game  

Congrats to Tajon who won the Youth international player of the year.  Tajon has  had a great breakout year for sure. Big things ahead for him... https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/tajon-buchan

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s funny though the times we are in as CMNT fans - Buchanan wasn’t even making u23 mock lists here just a month or two ago. Competition is fierce and very close .. it bodes well for us. So different from the talented squad of 2008 where the talent was incredibly strong but the drop off meant that none of them ever had to worry about losing their spots. I.e Our midfield went from JDG/Hutch/Bernier to ... Harmse. Radzinski to Issey.. etc. 

Good point, neither of Buchanan or St. Clair were even talked about prior to this season, and at this point I'd confidently ship them both to Tokyo and pencil them in as starters with the U23 (hell, personally I feel better about St Clair then I ever have about Crepeau). Shows how much we know, and that not every player's path to pro soccer looks the same.

Clearly has the athleticism for the RB spot.  Might have to improve defending when the guy he is marking is not on the ball as well as the other nuances of back line team defending/coverage, especially far post balls so he doesn't get Nerwinski-ed.

I hope he continues his trajectory from that RB/RWB position next year and beyond.