Tajon Buchanan

nolando

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry folks, this is undershooting or lowballing, don't care how you want to spin it. No American at Tajon's level this season would be going to a little town in Flandes, but the Canadians get duped. 

If no one else creeped his agent's IG profile, he's the same agent that got Sam Vines to Antwerp and Busio to Venezia.

Just now, grigorio said:

If no one else creeped his agent's IG profile, he's the same agent that got Sam Vines to Antwerp and Busio to Venezia.

I'm sure where he is corresponds to a market reality. I just got greedy, and besides, he's old enough and good enough to aspire for more.

Vines: after his very good GC I'd say he deserved a better move too. 

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Those European teams overpay. 

Anyways, Sherrif Tiraspol is in CL this year too, and that also means that they're a quality side. 

Sorry folks, this is undershooting or lowballing, don't care how you want to spin it. No American at Tajon's level this season would be going to a little town in Flandes, but the Canadians get duped. 

2020-21

Brugge 3rd CL group F > Transfer to EL

Sherrif DNP

2019-20

Brugge 3rd CL group A > Transfer to EL

Sherrif DNP

2018-19

Brugge DNP

Sherrif DNP

2017-18

Brugge DNP

Sherrif DNP

2016-17

Brugge 4th CL group G > Eliminated

Sherrif DNP

But sure....it's basically the same. 

Just now, Obinna said:

2020-21

Sherrif DNP

2019-20

Sherrif DNP

2018-19

Brugge DNP

Sherrif DNP

2017-18

Brugge DNP

Sherrif DNP

2016-17

Sherrif DNP

I read in context. 

If someone says that the mere fact of playing in CL is a factor, then we cite teams playing in CL to see how well the argument holds. 

Sherrif knocked out Borjan's Red Star, and rather handily. 

I've watched Belgium league, those teams are nowhere close to being major players in Europe, probably not since Radz was at Anderlecht. I think the current Revs in Belgium would probably match Brugge. 

It's a minor move for Tajon and I'm disappointed. 

Just now, Obinna said:

2020-21

Sherrif DNP

2019-20

Sherrif DNP

2018-19

Brugge DNP

Sherrif DNP

2017-18

Brugge DNP

Sherrif DNP

2016-17

Sherrif DNP

And just for fun...

2020-21

Brugge EL Round of 32

Sherrif DNP

2019-20

Brugge EL Round of 32

Sherrif DNP

2018-19

Brugge EL Round of 32

Sherrif DNP

2017-18

Brugge DNP

Sherrif EL 3rd Group F > Eliminated

2016-17

Brugge DNP

Sherrif DNP

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I read in context. 

If someone says that the mere fact of playing in CL is a factor, then we cite teams playing in CL to see how well the argument holds. 

Sherrif knocked out Borjan's Red Star, and rather handily. 

I've watched Belgium league, those teams are nowhere close to being major players in Europe, probably not since Radz was at Anderlecht. I think the current Revs in Belgium would probably match Brugge. 

It's a minor move for Tajon and I'm disappointed. 

You are comparing Brugge with a club that has never been to the UCL group stage until now.

Edit: I get you were trying to show the fallacy in @PegCityCam's statement, but picking the most extreme example doesn't disprove his point, which is that Club Brugge is a step up from New England (speaking of context). You are the one who posed that question to us.

By the way, he prefaced his CL statement with "this doesn't tell the whole story".

Seems you are just grasping at straws because you don't like the move.  

Edited by Obinna

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

And just for fun...

2020-21

Brugge EL Round of 32

Sherrif DNP

2019-20

Brugge EL Round of 32

Sherrif DNP

2018-19

Brugge EL Round of 32

Sherrif DNP

2017-18

Brugge DNP

Sherrif EL 3rd Group F > Eliminated

2016-17

Brugge DNP

Sherrif DNP

But you're setting yourself up for a fall with such dumb arguments. Betis hasn't played CL in recent years. Leeds United hasn't either. 

You're arguing Tajon is better off at Brugge than Leeds or Betis? Or any other of the 50 odd teams in the big 4 leagues who can't qualify for CL because where they play its actually hard (you proved to us Brugge has had it easy in Belgium, thanks). Where even the last place team would be an absolute juggernaut. 

We're trying to get past this cowering mentality in Canada that celebrates mediocrity. A 23 year old in Belgium is nothing special (Klukowski) so let's not spin it that way. Especially when he seemed to have had offers from teams playing a far higher level week in week out. 

But fine, when he's 26 he can make that big move. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyways, Sherrif Tiraspol is in CL this year too, and that also means that they're a quality side. 

Simply providing a little info as per your original question, which I thought was a good question tbh. You go from asking to stating Euro teams overpay and Canadians are getting duped? Okay. Pretty sure Tajon isn't feeling duped by possibly earning upwards of 10 times what he's getting paid now. 

Brugge are in Pot 4 of the Champions league draw.  In pot 4 there are certain slots that are decided by 2-4 streams of clubs from the qualifying rounds.  There is 1-2 streams of the champions from the smaller countries in Europe and, every year, those teams are dogs of the champions league (ie: the whipping boys for the other teams,  the free square on the bingo card).  They are the The teams that don’t belong there,

I looked at the other pots,  I can’t honestly find someone from pot 1 and 2 that Brugge could stand a chance against.   Except maybe <ahem cough> Lille.

the draw is tomorrow at 1800 hrs CET by the way

Edited by Free kick

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You're arguing Tajon is better off at Brugge than Leeds or Betis? Or any other of the 50 odd teams in the big 4 leagues who can't qualify for CL because where they play its actually hard (you proved to us Brugge has had it easy in Belgium, thanks). Where even the last place team would be an absolute juggernaut. 

No I am not arguing that. I would definitely take Tajon at Leeds and especially Betis over Club Brugge, but I would take the Belgian club over Augsburg and probably Frieburg.

Out of the reported options, Brugge for me was the best one, but I won't die on a hill for it. Had he moved to either of those Bundesliga teams, I would of been a little disappointed, but he'd still be in a very good club situation, so I would be happy for him and I would very much look forward to seeing him testing himself at a great level week-in, week-out.

48 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Brugge are in Pot 4 of the Champions league draw.  In pot 4 there are certain slots that are decided by 2-4 streams of clubs from the qualifying rounds.  There is 1-2 streams of the champions from the smaller countries in Europe and, every year, those teams are dogs of the champions league (ie: the whipping boys for the other teams,  the free square on the bingo card).  They are the The teams that don’t belong there,

I looked at the other pots,  I can’t honestly find someone from pot 1 and 2 that Brugge could stand a chance against.   Except maybe <ahem cough> Lille.

the draw is tomorrow at 1800 hrs CET by the way

Not sure if I understand what you are trying to get across but however they get there, pots are decided by co-effiecient, except the winners of the Uefa cups and the winner of the top six leagues, which are 1s.  So it is determined by your past success or that of your federation (or lack thereof). Shakhtar Donetsk play in a pretty poor league as well but their success in the past mean they are a 3. 

Club Brugge's co-efficient is above their federation one, so the have had some limited success on their own.  See above. 

And it is the Champions League, so the champions belong.  You could argue Liverpool don't belong because they were not champions of anything last year. The romance of cups and all that.  Just one view I heard from old, old football fans.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Transdnistria is a fascinating place - a gangster state right on the fringe of Europe. Probably not the most enjoyable road trip for visiting teams. The guys who own Sheriff seem like a real couple of gems. They seem to have some cash, although they probably wouldn't pass a source of funds test.  If it doesn't exist already, we need a Jonathan Wilson article about them. 

Edited by Soro17

20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure if I understand what you are trying to get across but however they get there, pots are decided by co-effiecient, except the winners of the Uefa cups and the winner of the top six leagues, which are 1s.  So it is determined by your past success or that of your federation (or lack thereof). Shakhtar Donetsk play in a pretty poor league as well but their success in the past mean they are a 3. 

Club Brugge's co-efficient is above their federation one, so the have had some limited success on their own.  See above. 

And it is the Champions League, so the champions belong.  You could argue Liverpool don't belong because they were not champions of anything last year. The romance of cups and all that.  Just one view I heard from old, old football fans.  

No thats not what i was getting at.  I was just painting the picture of what the chances for Brugge are in the champions league.  They are not good. And its for the reasons i mentioned. 

Edited by Free kick

20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Hah glad someone else said it.  Those teams in Pot 4 deserve it a lot more than 4th place teams from Big 4 leagues.

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

No thats not what i was getting at.  I was just painting the picture of what the chances for Brugge are in the champions league.  They are not good. And its for the reasons i mentioned. 

And some people I talk to still want it to be a straight knockout competition with good and bad teams - like where you get Bayern winning 0-12 tonight -  a lot of times but sometime get those sweet Cinderella stories.

But we will never see that again because that is not where the money is or what the money wants.    

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

Brugge are probably pretty equivalent to a very good Championship club / bottom table first tier club - like Fulham or Sheffield United. Of course they have no chance at advancing in Champions League.

They held their own against Madrid, what was it, two years ago? 

6 hours ago, theaub said:

Hah glad someone else said it.  Those teams in Pot 4 deserve it a lot more than 4th place teams from Big 4 leagues.

Not a chance.  😀  Not if you want to see a competitive competition with the best teams in Europe on display.   And thats what people expect to see with the UCL,  the best teams in europe.  The best teams and the best talent is in the big 4 leagues.   By far.  There are maybe 4-5 exceptions outside of the big 4.

And that gap between the top four leagues (or top clubs in europe)  and the rest has been widening every year since the Bosman ruling.  

Edited by Free kick

22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Not a chance.  😀  Not if you want to see a competitive competition with the best teams in Europe on display.   And thats what people expect to see with the UCL,  the best teams in europe.  The best teams and the best talent is in the big 4 leagues.   By far.  There are maybe 4-5 exceptions outside of the big 4.

And that gap between the top four leagues (or top clubs in europe)  and the rest has been widening every year since the Bosman ruling.  

Were you/ do you remain a supporter of the Super League then?

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Were you/ do you remain a supporter of the Super League then?

I honnestly did not have any objections to the super league.  I have many long reasons for this and my thinking has developed on this subject from observing the game over many years.   Its late,  so i dont feel like typing a long post.  But i will just say that way too many clubs in europe have free loaded off of the big clubs for eons.   When we think of european soccer and when we look at the fact that since the last 20 years, we can now watch european soccer on televsion in North america, it because of these big clubs and the strenght of their brand.  

The only objection that i had with the Superleague is that its was only 14 clubs give or take. By my count,  that number should be around 40.  As for the rest that are outside of those 40 (ie.: the biggest free loaders),  well the rest of the world (in cluding North america) could do just as well.  And probably is doing just as well. For example, Just look at nice crowds and beautiful stadiums that we see from Mexico during the concacaf champions league games.  Why arent those clubs recognized like Brugge and west Ham?  Answer: its Because they are not in the same country or continent as Manchester United, Real madrid, Barcelona, Juve, etc..

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I honnestly did not have any objections to the super league.  I have many long reasons for this and my thinking has developed on this subject from observing the game over many years.   Its late,  so i dont feel like typing a long post.  But i will just say that way too many clubs in europe have free loaded off of the big clubs for eons.   When we think of european soccer and when we look at the fact that since the last 20 years, we can now watch european soccer on televsion in North america, it because of these big clubs and the strenght of their brand. 

Fair enough.  It looks at soccer/football a different way than I grew up with but it is valid point of view and may win out because it is the more lucrative one.

At this point, thankfully for me, enough supporters (even of the big clubs) in my neck of the woods value the jeopardy/excitement of relegation and similar in the cups enough that we won't see it happen for a bit at least.  

I find the possibility of Leicester happening again; or Celtic beating Barcelona or Ajax doing Real Madrid part of what what makes the game great. 

Each to their own.

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Fair enough.  It looks at soccer/football a different way than I grew up with but it is valid point of view and may win out because it is the more lucrative one.

At this point, thankfully for me, enough supporters (even of the big clubs) in my neck of the woods value the jeopardy/excitement of relegation and similar in the cups enough that we won't see it happen for a bit at least.  

I find the possibility of Leicester happening again; or Celtic beating Barcelona or Ajax doing Real Madrid part of what what makes the game great. 

Each to their own.

I'm definitely NOT in favour of the Super League and was pretty angry that Liverpool were in on the scheme. However, I do believe that quite a few clubs in England, including West Ham, need a strong reality check about where it is from which their money comes. It was galling to me to listen to the self-serving cunts in charge of West Ham, Aston Villa, Norwich, and Brighton trying to use the early-stages of the pandemic as cover in trying to insulate themselves from the risk of relegation. Their supporters went along for the ride, frankly embarrassing themselves with some of the shit they came out with. Without the world-wide appeal of Liverpool, Man Utd, and Arsenal, those clubs wouldn't be much further ahead then they were in the '80s. A little bit more gratitude wouldn't be out of place.