Tajon Buchanan

nolando

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Obviously we want TB to make a deep run into the playoffs, if not win the MLS cup, but should they get dumped out early I assume he'll go to Brugge right away and maybe get into a couple UCL games. Can't lose either way if you're Buchanan.

Hw won't be able to play for Brugge until the transfer window opens in January.

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

Only 2-3 players from the last Belgian NT actaully played their club soccer in Belgium. And those guys, i dont recall ever seeing on the pitch.   As for the others,  i dont know the extent of their deveopment in Belgium.  

I went through their Euros roster.  Every player except Jason Denayer and Thorgan Hazard (who signed with his older brother’ -the Captain of Belgium’s team- Ligue 1 team) came up through the ranks of the Belgium system.

The Belgium system is right there as the best per capita development programs in the world.  

Tajon going to the best club in Belgium is actually a big deal and great for his career.  If he has 1 or 2 good seasons there he can and will be transferred on to bigger and better leagues.

9 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Am I ACTUALLY seeing this?!...TSN with a legitimate on air piece on Tajon and his move to Brugge. Okay okay, it was 2 mins but still. Stunned🤯

I had the MLS vs Liga MX skills competition on last night. When Sportscentre started they put a little banner on the bottom of the screen (separate from the ticker) that said "Coming Up: Tajon Buchanan transferred to Club Brugge". I was shocked to see that! That's big news treatment (even if it still took like 20 minutes of covering a bunch of other stuff before they eventually got to it). It could very well be because the lead in was MLS related, so they wanted to keep that audience (like me, it worked), but it was still surreal to see that.

Different player but on that same topic, CBC made mention of Alphonso Davies in their Paralympic coverage on the news last night. Apparently he sent a note of encouragement to the refugee team, so "Canadian soccer star Alphonso Davies" gets mentioned on CBC news.

I also love in the Tajon announcement video the giant Canada flag. We are becoming relevant folks!

3 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Riiiight.

You're making that up.

Nope, there he was, Mr. Steven Caldwell in all his "massive" glory talking about the move while some of Tajon's best plays were gracing the screen. I had to rewind it on the PVR a few times to make sure it had indeed happened and that I wasn't still simply in shock after attending the 3-nil Valour match 🤣

22 hours ago, Free kick said:

Only 2-3 players from the last Belgian NT actaully played their club soccer in Belgium. And those guys, i dont recall ever seeing on the pitch.   As for the others,  i dont know the extent of their deveopment in Belgium.  

Looking at their current NT, almost all of them debuted with Belgian clubs.  Even those that didn't, their youth careers were all spent in Belgium.

Ok move nothing earth shattering, still think he could have gone to Germany’s top tier . But I guess it’s a stepping stone hopefully to a bigger league . Maybe it was his age that didn’t get any teams in bigger leagues to bite , but it’s not like 22 is old for a player. Let’s see how he does here I’m hoping he does well and he gets to one of the top Euro leagues and for a decent team.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So do you think, right now, as we stand, Brugge is a better football team than the New England Revolution? 

That's a good question, I certainly don't know, but does history and proximity enter into the situation. 

I know we can see everything on video and we have Zoom and all that but I bet scouts still want to see players in person and if it is only a couple hours train ride away isn't that better for the player to be more accessible.

Do we know if he had any type of workouts with the Bundesliga teams, maybe he felt more comfortable with the smaller step of Brugge.  Obviously he did if he signed with them, he did so for a reason.

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's a good question, I certainly don't know, but does history and proximity enter into the situation. 

I know we can see everything on video and we have Zoom and all that but I bet scouts still want to see players in person and if it is only a couple hours train ride away isn't that better for the player to be more accessible.

Do we know if he had any type of workouts with the Bundesliga teams, maybe he felt more comfortable with the smaller step of Brugge.  Obviously he did if he signed with them, he did so for a reason.

I was so nervous posting that comment I misread the notification and thought Tajon was commenting directly on it, fucked up. 

I bet they're about the same. It's not like going to play in Mexico that's for sure. 

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So do you think, right now, as we stand, Brugge is a better football team than the New England Revolution? 

Brugge are quite a bit better. New England has some players that could play for Brugge like Bou, Gil and a few others but they have some starters and subs that would never get in the Brugge squad. I mean guys like McNamara, Boateng, Teal etc..no way they could play for Brugge.

Not a perfect comparisons but: Brugges transfermrkt value is $140m vs $40m for NE.

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Brugge are quite a bit better. New England has some players that could play for Brugge like Bou, Gil and a few others but they have some starters and subs that would never get in the Brugge squad. I mean guys like McNamara, Boateng, Teal etc..no way they could play for Brugge.

Not a perfect comparisons but: Brugges transfermrkt value is $140m vs $40m for NE.

About 7 million of that 40 is from Buchanan as well, so really it's more like 140m vs 33m

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just looked up payrolls for both teams:

Brugge: ~25 mil US last year

Revs: 12.5 mil US this year

Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story...being in the CL also is a bit of a dead giveaway that they're a quality side.

39 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I see what you’re getting at, and part of me would have rather see him transfer to Germany.  But for what it’s worth, Club Brugge has a higher EloRating than Augsburg.  And do we think he had any other legitimate options?

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I watched a lot of Jupiler League games when David was in Gent and Brugge is easily better than NE.  That said, the mid-table teams are comparable to mid-table MLS and bottom 4 or 5 teams are significantly worse.

1 minute ago, PegCityCam said:

Just looked up payrolls for both teams:

Brugge: ~25 mil US last year

Revs: 12.5 mil US this year

Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story...being in the CL also is a bit of a dead giveaway that they're a quality side.

Those European teams overpay. 

Anyways, Sherrif Tiraspol is in CL this year too, and that also means that they're a quality side. 

Sorry folks, this is undershooting or lowballing, don't care how you want to spin it. No American at Tajon's level this season would be going to a little town in Flandes, but the Canadians get duped.