Tajon Buchanan

nolando

I’ve slept on Buchanan admittedly during this hype cycle. After the Olympic qualifying I still wasn’t totally sold and I was reserved in thinking he was amongst our best five players but okay, I’m a convert now. The hype is real. Dude surgically converted a half-chance in a cup semi-final i’m front of 70k+. The kid’s a baller and I now see the light. For me, Buchanan and Eustaquio are battling for third best Canadian player, and that says a awful lot considering Larin is still in the discussion and is scoring goals at will. Half of our starting XI is bordering on elite. What the fuck kind of reality is this?

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

That is a bit harsh. I was at the Emirates when he bossed Arsenal as a 15 year old. No doubt the kid has talent, just wonder about the application. 

It was exaggerated for effect partially down to him playing Billy Big Bullocks and wasting that talent.  But I did also watch him live, the last time against Shrewsbury I think (close to as cold as I have been here, so I remember the night at least) where Moyes gave him a last chance.  Not much of that talent there or since in Germany.  Centre back can develop late but he has a ways to go for me.

6 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Mexico had no answer for him, lucky for them he was getting a bit gassed towards the end. But damn, you are nuts if you don't think we need to have him and Davies starting together for WCQs

It’s definitely worth experimenting. I worry if you have forwards this aggressive on both sides and who like to play from the channel cutting in it limits our ability to field someone like Laryea, for example, and get the most of him. But a Tajon on the Right, Davies on the left scenario is too good not to experiment with.

My main take away is, regardless of who you start, we should be making use of the depth in our forward pool. Ask guys to go at 110% and utilize the extra subs at 60 to hammer away at tired defenders. Really an under appreciated but very effective tactic 

Edited by ag futbol

3 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

It’s definitely worth experimenting. I worry if you have forwards this aggressive on both sides and who like to play from the channel cutting in it limits our ability to field someone like Laryea, for example, and get the most of him. But a Tajon on the Right, Davies on the left scenario is too good not to experiment with.

We are now at point where if all our guys are healthy. There will be notable omissions!

Thats the real beauty of how strong are team is right now.

I can't remember another National team player with his career trajectory - was a pretty mediocre young MLSer a few years ago and in a few months he'll be in a contributor in a top 5 league. i don't think anyone (except Bruce Arena) could have foreseen this trajectory. He's really put it together in the last 12 months - unbelievable development. 

Another NCAA --> MLS success story for us (like Laryea, Johnston, Miller)

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I can't remember another National team player with his career trajectory - was a pretty mediocre young MLSer a few years ago and in a few months he'll be in a contributor in a top 5 league. i don't think anyone (except Bruce Arena) could have foreseen this trajectory. He's really put it together in the last 12 months - unbelievable development. 

I've followed him since the MLS draft and a few people at that time were saying he could go #1 and specifically his college coach was talking up his talent and potential, which is notable given the amount of talent that has come out of Syracuse. Revs fans and media were high on him early and he impressed but then he stopped getting minutes in 2019. Then last year he came back with a bang.

Reading his story I think a lot of people, in particular Revs fans, foresaw this pretty early on. He's only going to get better too.

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I've followed him since the MLS draft and a few people at that time were saying he could go #1 and specifically his college coach was talking up his talent and potential, which is notable given the amount of talent that has come out of Syracuse. Revs fans and media were high on him early and he impressed but then he stopped getting minutes in 2019. Then last year he came back with a bang.

Reading his story I think a lot of people, in particular Revs fans, foresaw this pretty early on. He's only going to get better too.

Man - that is not the narrative I got from reading reddit MLS and New England boards since he was drafted. There was a lot of confusion as to why Arena was playing Tajon so much. It also took Tajon nearly 30 appearances to get his first goal. He wasnt productive at all early on - even his advanced metrics were quite poor.

A lot of revs fans are holding up their hands and saying "Bruce was right and I was wrong"

We could go back 12 months on this forum and still see a lot of skepticism from our own fan base.  I remember posting some comments last summer about him and there were naysayers only a year ago.  It just shows how great he has become in 12 months.  He was a good young player for the majority of his first two seasons.  He really exploded into some great performances to end the season last year and then into playoffs.  That is when the hype started and the Olympics really proved he had talent.  This MLS season has proven that the end of last season wasn't luck and now the Gold Cup has proven that he has become an exceptional player.  What a rise to witness!

Edited by Corazon

Just now, Corazon said:

We could go back 12 months on this forum and still see a lot of skepticism from our own fan base.  I remember posting some comments last summer about him and there were naysayers only a year ago.  It just shows how great he has become in 12 months.  He was a good young player for the majority of his first two seasons.  He really exploded into some great performances to end the season last year and then into playoffs.  That is when the hype started and the Olympics really proved he had talent.  This MLS has proven the end of last season wasn't luck and now the Gold Cup has proven that he has become an exceptional player.  What a rise to watch!

Tbh I was a big naysayer - and that was mainly from following Revs fans takes on him. I also watched some of his matches and while he was able to  get into good positions he generally made the wrong decision, had a poor touch or was wasteful. He has done a 180. Clearly I was wrong 

What a coming out party for Tajon. This game alone just saw his value soar to a point I can't imagine the Revolution not enticed to see him to Europe. A line up with Tajon, David, Larin up front with Davies on the left side is going to be scary. Can the WCQ just start already please.....

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

His first 1  1/2 seasons he was finding his footing but afterwords he’s be on fire and constantly on the up. 

The early story didn’t get much play because he’s in on a low-profile team and there were several really good DP signings as well that got a lot of the airplay (not unjustifiably either as both Gil and Bou are both fantastic in their own right).

Like Davies in his last season in MLS, Tajon has been toying with MLS defenders this season and he did it to the Mexican defenders last night.  Think that's a clear statement that he's good enough to play in a top 5 league.  Hope his agent guides him to the right club for his continued success and development. Anyone else  in favour of minimizing the defensive responsibilties of Davies and Tajon on the wings and letting them run amok, terrorizing the opposition?

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

Johnson has been a key contributor in Nashville from day one.  The other two didn't pan out at Orlando, for whatever reasons.

I see a lot of similarities with Davies with Tajons style of play with the pace and skill. He doesn't quite have Davies uncanny ability to beat people 1on1 (though to be fair, Davies is amongst the best in the worlds best so tough comparison). 

Really excited to see where he can go with his club career. 

2 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I see a lot of similarities with Davies with Tajons style of play with the pace and skill. He doesn't quite have Davies uncanny ability to beat people 1on1 (though to be fair, Davies is amongst the best in the worlds best so tough comparison). 

Really excited to see where he can go with his club career. 

While Phonzie was good on the dribble in his last MLS season, his skill on the ball really took off after he was at Bayern. He now has so many different ways to beat a player 1v1 that he's difficult to shut down. I think Tajon at the right club can elevate his ability as well

42 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Love this kid and his 24/7 mean mug. Plays with a big chip on his shoulder and that would serve him well in Europe. Fantastic showing in the Gold Cup and I expect a big move for him

Kid has balls.  Took Herrera on in the corner and didn’t back down. Herrera was surprised then gave him the stare and spit down to the ground.  Wasn’t too happy that the kid didn’t give a cm.

Edited by Club Linesman

1 minute ago, Club Linesman said:

Kid has balls.  Took Herrera on in the corner and didn’t back down. Herrera was surprised then gave him the stare and spit down to the ground.  Wasn’t too happy that the kid didn’t give a cm.

I noticed “no back down” from a lot of our guys last night. They weren’t intimidated by Mexico. Some of our squads in the past were timid against the better competition. Those days are gone now. I don’t know if it’s Herdman, his staff or the sports psychologists but something in the mindset of our players has changed and it’s great to see.

Tajon didnt have much fear of the mexicans, but we are getting a bunch of young guys like that.  Lareya seems to be a reincarnation of a central american shit disturber from the 80's.  He definitely has a good handle on all the dark arts.  Osorio has been through plenty of these games with TFC and thrived. 

Did anyone catch at the end what got Miller so riled up?? And who was Crepeau going after etc??  I would not want to run into Crepeau, Miller, Henry and Cav coming out of a club at closing time.