Tajon Buchanan

nolando

On 7/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, Strait Red said:

I’d love to see him end up at Atalanta. They play free flowing football and his speed would be well used there. Unfortunately they usually shop for lower priced guys, so I’m not sure if Tajon would be priced too high for them.

they have recieved a lot of champions league money so they may have the cash, at the same time I dint think his value would not be that high 

18 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Perhaps not Buchanan, if he does have interest from the clubs in Europe we’ve seen rumoured, but I’d like to see more Canadians in Mexico. I think it would help the national team 

Plus they pay a lot more than MLS 

22 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I'd like to see him start at a good club in an decent league like Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, or even France, etc, and go from there.

As with Davies, David, Millar, and everyone else. I want Tajon to go to the highest level possible where he can start. We don't know what that is (most of us didn't think Davies would start for Bayern so quickly) but that's my hope for how it all works out. 

17 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Perhaps not Buchanan, if he does have interest from the clubs in Europe we’ve seen rumoured, but I’d like to see more Canadians in Mexico. I think it would help the national team 

Why Mexico? Liga mx isn’t that good imo no clue why you would suggest such a thing. It’s either Europe or bust for tajon.

13 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Why Mexico? Liga mx isn’t that good imo no clue why you would suggest such a thing. It’s either Europe or bust for tajon.

LigaMX is probably still a bit above MLS and certainly about the Estonian 4th division***. Not all European leagues are created equal. 

***Not that the FC Jõgeva Wolves couldn't use the help. They've gone 0-3-2 in their last five, being outscored 30-3

Edited by Yoginess

12 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Because it's the best league in the federation we compete in and one of the strongest in all of the America's. In order to win trophies, we need to be able to beat Mexico and USA, and having more players familiar with that level and style of play would seemingly be beneficial. I'd prefer Mexico to most European leagues outside of say the top 5-10 leagues

While Mexico is the best league in the federation, it's still nowhere near Europe. It's much easier to move from a 5-10 league to a top 5 league in Europe than it is to move from Mexico to a top 5 league in Europe. At the end of the day we want as many of our players as possible playing tier 1 football, as Herdman has said many times over. Mexico is not teir 1 football. I can't see any reason at all why anyone would want our players in Mexico over Europe. Imagine if Davies had went to Mexico instead of Bayern, or if Jonathan David had went to Mexico instead of Belgium. He wouldn't be at Lille right now and he wouldn't be French champion. That would be like a hockey player setting his sights on KHL instead of NHL. Yes it's a good league but it's on the wrong continent and it's certainly not what the goal of our players should be.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Because it's the best league in the federation we compete in and one of the strongest in all of the America's. In order to win trophies, we need to be able to beat Mexico and USA, and having more players familiar with that level and style of play would seemingly be beneficial. I'd prefer Mexico to most European leagues outside of say the top 5-10 leagues

Who cares if it's the best league in the federation? It's not even close to the best league in the world, which is the only thing that should matter if we want to actually be at a high level. USA's starting XI are basically all playing in top 5 leagues in Europe, as are Mexico's best players. If we want to beat USA and Mexico we need as many players as possible playing at the top level as well. By aiming for the top league in the federation, you're basically just giving yourself a glass ceiling. Do you think Eustaquio would be on the radar of Napoli and the Portuguese giants if he didn't immediately move back to Europe when he recovered? Not to mention lower leagues in Europe can get Europa league which puts the player on a massive global stage competing against top teams. Look at David scoring against Roma in Europa League with Gent. That would have put him on a lot of clubs radars if he wasn't already. Compare that to CCL and the possibility of scoring against Columbus Crew. Who cares if our players are familiar with Liga MX, firstly that won't help whatsoever against the US, and secondly, we're Canada, we play the Canadian way. That style is being forged right now with our players who are plying their craft at levels much higher than in Mexico and at home in Canada (and some in the US). Mexico as a top destination is arbitrary and pointless, and arguably objectively worse for a players career.

Edited by frmr

Tajons ceiling is more then likely above Liga MX, but more Canadians in the league would be great for the program.

You don’t see too many players move from Liga MX to top 5 Euro leagues because the majority of Mexican National players in the league are very comfortable with staying in Mexico, the league pays great and has a good skill level, dominating the region. Any player with the quality to play regularly in that league is capable of top Euro leagues.

Part of me is always scared to wish for Canadians to come to West Ham and therefore the Premier League.  It can chew you up and spit and the supporters can be very hard on players (and we seem to break players with any injury history and some without). 

But there are a handful of our national team, I would love to give it a try.  Eustaquio, David, and now part of me wants to see Buchanan as a Lingard replacement. Feel like the speed and physically would help him up his game but probably just a half dream for now.  

15 hours ago, El Diego said:

Buchanan seems like a really good "fit" for a team like Atalanta, but that would be a pretty big jump in level. With the strides he's making, who knows what his ceiling is...

Buchanan in a league like Serie A would actually be good for his development

15 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Normally I’d say ‘baby steps’ with a prospect on the rise… but something about Tajon’s fearlessness that has me wanting a really big club take a chance.  He’s developed so rapidly in the past year that I want to see him take on a really big challenge and hopefully crush it.

The reality is that he is now 22 years old and has been showing what he can do in MLS for a couple of years now.  He isn’t some 18 year old fresh out of the academy.  He has been playing against seasoned pros and he knows what he needs to do (and has been doing it). 

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Either way, with each passing game he is making whoever at TFC drafted Peter-Griffin Donkey (or whatever his name was) over Tajon look like an even bigger idiot. If it was Curtis it’s another reason to can him after the Armas debacle 

Ah yes, I remember the story on this one well. Dorsey has a bang-average combine and is also a lower tier prospect but gives a “Remember the Titans” speech in his draft interview and a bunch of idiot GM’s start drooling over the potential leadership qualities. Lot of good that is when you don’t have the talent to be on the field. 

All that said, still think the draft is a bit of a crap shoot and maybe it was best for the player he didn’t end up with TFC