Tajon Buchanan

nolando

other than Kennedy & Johnston, I thought Tajon was outstanding during the recent WCQ games.  His speed and ability on the ball  gives us a real offensive weapon on the right flank and takes some pressure off Davies on the left. When he came on vs Suriname, it took their defenders a few plays to adjust to his pace and skill. That balance on both flanks is going to serve us well.

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

other than Kennedy & Johnston, I thought Tajon was outstanding during the recent WCQ games.  His speed and ability on the ball  gives us a real offensive weapon on the right flank and takes some pressure off Davies on the left. When he came on vs Suriname, it took their defenders a few plays to adjust to his pace and skill. That balance on both flanks is going to serve us well.

He is definitely a guy that I see as a major offensive threat for us - and he seems to have the kind of skills needed to grab a game by the throat and make something happen.  

Given his age and recent progress, I think he has one of the higher ceilings in our player pool right now.  

I personally would play him at right wing bank over Laryea at present as because of the TFC shit show he is out of form....Buchanan can attack as we all know but he also defend in a 5 man back line and as said by Kadenge, it gives us balance.

4 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I personally would play him at right wing bank over Laryea at present as because of the TFC shit show he is out of form....Buchanan can attack as we all know but he also defend in a 5 man back line and as said by Kadenge, it gives us balance.

I am a fan of Laryea but in a 3-5-2, I think you may be right.  Having said that, Tajon is a great option off the bench.   Running at tired defenders would make him even more deadly.  

Really I am good with either him or Laryea starting in that role know that the other can come in and potentially be a difference-maker.  (And that doesn’t even factor in ZBG, who I am a big fan of as well)

I would think Buchanan probably has passed or is close to passing Laryea in the depth chart at this point. He's younger, he has a higher ceiling, and he's currently in better form. You could maybe make an argument that Laryea's experience gives him an edge but I dunno if Herdman could justify playing Laryea over Buchanan right now. Seems like a good time to start giving him more meaningful minutes.

1 minute ago, frmr said:

I would think Buchanan probably has passed or is close to passing Laryea in the depth chart at this point. He's younger, he has a higher ceiling, and he's currently in better form. You could maybe make an argument that Laryea's experience gives him an edge but I dunno if Herdman could justify playing Laryea over Buchanan right now. Seems like a good time to start giving him more meaningful minutes.

I agree with all that. Gold Cup is a good time to test him.  And if he fails, you always have Laryea to go back to for qualifying in now less than 2 months time.  Good risk to take in my mind.

I do suspect both will get minutes.  I could also see Corbeanu getting minutes there if we need a goal late as he would be a pure attacking option.

58 minutes ago, frmr said:

As a huge Laryea fan, I think you're right.  A few years ago, I never would've thought we'd have a guy like ZBG on the outside looking in for a RB spot.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

A puppy weeps whenever people say Tajon is an RB.

Calling me a puppy.

Hes has way to much attacking flair, skill, and shooting abilities to be a RB. 

I don’t even believe Laryea is a true RB, he just got a look and performed in the position.

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Surely performance in camp plays a role, no?

So Cavallini gets a pass for his club's situation, which is far more permanent, but Richie doesn't when it's way more likely to be temporary, especially if he gets a move? Has Richie ever disappointed for the national team? Just because Tajon is the shiny new toy doesn't mean he automatically displaces Richie. He's gotta show a lot more than a few strong offensive performances off the bench against teams that had been battered all game, especially defensively first.

8 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

So Cavallini gets a pass for his club's situation, which is far more permanent, but Richie doesn't when it's way more likely to be temporary, especially if he gets a move? Has Richie ever disappointed for the national team? Just because Tajon is the shiny new toy doesn't mean he automatically displaces Richie. He's gotta show a lot more than a few strong offensive performances off the bench against teams that had been battered all game, especially defensively first.

I agree. I don’t think Laryea has lost his position but perhaps Buchanan has won it (if he can start and impress). He’s been consistently impressive for club and country since last fall. Laryea hasn’t been undroppable for Canada lately so it’s time for Tajon to get a shot.

You do have to feel for ZBG though. The guy has had a decent year and had a great match for Canada vs. Aruba but even an opportunity is tough to come by now.

Then again the discussion may be moot if Tajon is given a starting role up top, which is very possible. Playing off a Cavallini/Larin and combining with Laryea down the right could be deadly.

Edited by CanadaFan123

13 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

He is definitely a guy that I see as a major offensive threat for us - and he seems to have the kind of skills needed to grab a game by the throat and make something happen.  

Given his age and recent progress, I think he has one of the higher ceilings in our player pool right now.  

Yeah that and certain European club teams are already interested in him

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I still say he is closer to a RW in a 4-3-3, than a RB. 

Agreed. He had a short spell as a RB but he’s more suited to play further up the field. 

Personally I would find a way to play him in a slightly less advanced position than Davies. Then use switches of play to unbalance the defence and isolate opposing fullbacks. Both these guys are a headache to handle 1v1. 

The super sub role also makes sense. I think given our forward depth pool we should be doing things like this, asking the starters to go at 110% for 60 minutes and then bringing in the subs to roll over tired defenders. 

7 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Just because Tajon is the shiny new toy doesn't mean he automatically displaces Richie. He's gotta show a lot more than a few strong offensive performances off the bench against teams that had been battered all game, especially defensively first.

This seems pretty dismissive of what Tajon has been accomplishing with the Revs (and with Canada).  He isn’t just some kid who ran hard against tired legs in one or two games.  He has been one of the Revs most consistently dangerous players and has been playing very well all season - and much of the last one.  He was also our best player in Olympic qualifying and has looked electric for the senior team whenever he has come on.  

Not saying he is a lock to displace Richie but rewarding him with a start to see how he does wouldn’t be unwarranted. 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

This seems pretty dismissive of what Tajon has been accomplishing with the Revs (and with Canada).  He isn’t just some kid who ran hard against tired legs in one or two games.  He has been one of the Revs most consistently dangerous players and has been playing very well all season - and much of the last one.  He was also our best player in Olympic qualifying and has looked electric for the senior team whenever he has come on.  

Not saying he is a lock to displace Richie but rewarding him with a start to see how he does wouldn’t be unwarranted. 

Tajon deserves to start and honestly I would start him in the opening game against Martinique on Sunday

It's interesting that while a move to a 3-5-2 utilizes Davies' ability on both sides of the ball, it also shuts out our wingers from the starting lineup. Only one of Laryea/Tajon/ZBG starts and while Corbeanu/Hoilett/Millar, are positionally flexible up front, there is also Cav and Ayo as subs.

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

It's interesting that while a move to a 3-5-2 utilizes Davies' ability on both sides of the ball, it also shuts out our wingers from the starting lineup. Only one of Laryea/Tajon/ZBG starts and while Corbeanu/Hoilett/Millar, are positionally flexible up front, there is also Cav and Ayo as subs.

I think we need to see how Hoilett fits into that Osorio CAM role with this formation. He's never going to be a RWB and as you identify, there is a lot of competition up top even without David in the squad.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It's not meant to be dismissive to Tajon so much as to be boosting Richie and being realistic. Last year Richie was the second most dangerous player (from right back) on a team that finished second in the league. He's been a top 3 fullback in the league since he started at TFC. Olympic qualifying is nice but it isn't very relevant to playing against the top mens teams in CONCACAF. I'm sure Tajon will eventually overtake Richie (maybe sooner rather than later if he moves this summer), especially if the 3-5-2 is here to stay and he's earned a start, but saying he's clearly overtaken Richie and should be the penciled in starter from now on is wrong.