Jump to content

CPL's Independent Club League Model (Not Single Entity)


Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, longlugan said:

At no point was he trying to solve the problem...asshole.

No, he was being a big-headed asshole, I offered to discuss a rather hefty subject by personal message and he started pontificating like an idiot. But since he is probably sitting on your face, you didn't notice. 

There, that was fun. Back to CPL. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Destroyed the forum mostly.  

Dropping a few more links/quotes here for reference : I assume that CSB is a registered company - who owns CSB (and %) and who are the directors?  Yes, CSB is a registered company – it’s own

They could be agreeing together. But then that would be a form of trust or monopoly, and then, regardless of the supposed independence, they'd be violating the principles associated with independent b

Posted Images

Must be difficult for Barca having to be sympathetic to independence even though it's a one way ticket to a Vardar Skopje or Buducnost Titograd/Podgorica sort of scenario of being shrunk down massively in scale by having to play in a greatly reduced domestic league that most fans are unlikely to want to watch regularly. Easier to be the traditionally Unionist club like Espanyol.

We are very lucky to be allowed to have exceptional circumstances for our clubs in "cross-border" terms. Without MLS showing pro soccer can be made to work single-entity and independent club would be viewed as equally pie-in-the-sky by most potential investors. Hopefully the best balance between the possible polar extremes on that has been struck.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No, he was being a big-headed asshole, I offered to discuss a rather hefty subject by personal message and he started pontificating like an idiot. But since he is probably sitting on your face, you didn't notice. 

There, that was fun. Back to CPL. 

 

You’re not doing yourself any favours with such petulant infantile insults. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...

Dropping a few more links/quotes here for reference :

I assume that CSB is a registered company - who owns CSB (and %) and who are the directors? 

Yes, CSB is a registered company – it’s owned by CPL team owners who will be the company’s directors.

How will CSB be different than SUM in the US? 

CSB was created purposefully for CPL owners and investors along with representing Canada Soccer. We can’t comment on SUM or their operations or structure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/03/29/the-creation-of-canadian-soccer-business-brings-opportunity-risk-and-the-seed-of-future-conflicts/#2b90f6acb983

The league will eschew the franchise-ownership model used by MLS, and instead opt for a “club-based style” built “from the ground up.”

https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/1/12/16882202/canadian-premier-league-cpl-welcome-news-in-turbulent-week-for-canada-soccer

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are not directly involved, I don't see how the recent Duane Rockerbie interview can so easily be dismissed when trademarks for each team are being registered by a CanPL holding company, there is a single kit deal with Macron and shirt sponsorships and stadium naming rights are being handled through CSB. Actions speak louder than words, and marketing and finance can be two very different things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you are not directly involved, I don't see how the recent Duane Rockerbie interview can so easily be dismissed when trademarks for each team are being registered by a CanPL holding company, there is a single kit deal with Macron and shirt sponsorships and stadium naming rights are being handled through CSB. Actions speak louder than words, and marketing and finance can be two very different things. 

Yes it can, he's not a CSB or CPL employee while the commissioner of the league said it wasn't single entity.

It can be dismissed unless you're implying that the commissioner (all the owners) are liars.

Edited by Ansem
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not calling anybody a liar. I have pointed out previously that it could easily be a case of there being enough of a difference from how MLS is structured to be able to draw some distinction which they have chosen to define in terms of club vs franchise for marketing reasons.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'm not calling anybody a liar. I have pointed out previously that it could easily be a case of there being enough of a difference from how MLS is structured to be able to draw some distinction which they have chosen to define in terms of club vs franchise for marketing reasons.

At the end of the day, that's just your opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you are not directly involved, I don't see how the recent Duane Rockerbie interview can so easily be dismissed when trademarks for each team are being registered by a CanPL holding company, there is a single kit deal with Macron and shirt sponsorships and stadium naming rights are being handled through CSB. Actions speak louder than words, and marketing and finance can be two very different things. 

Single kit deal, Shirt sponsorships, etc don't mean single entity and CSB is not owned by a single entity but is owned by the CPL club owners as we already know.

Rockerbie talks of a 10 team limit for CPL which is also the opposite of the 14-16 team maximum league officials have talked of. He recalls incorrect dates the late 80's CPL was in operation, and incorrectly says most of that leagues teams were in Ontario.

Rockerbie's comments are in the face of multiple statements by the league saying CPL is not single entity in its model. He really has no credibility when we look at the overwhelming opposite info coming from the league. He helped with an initial study/assessment years ago when the types of models for the league were being looked at but in the end the CPL choose the club based model and not single entity as we have seen by info from the league itself.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing we know with 100% certainty at this point is that Ozzie_the_%%%% will be citing this Rockerbie fella as irrefutable evidence to back up whatever bullshit claims he's making about CanPL for years to come, regardless of the number of times those claims are contradicted by direct quotes from actual credible sources in the interim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

This post says a lot more about you than it does about him.

What I hope it says about me is that I think the poster to whom I referred is a cunt...and that he's single-handedly destroying the CanPL sub-forum for a large percentage of members. The only worthwhile posts he makes are when he puts up the highlight links for individual matches.

If that's what it says about me, I'm more than content.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

What I hope it says about me is that I think the poster to whom I referred is a ****...and that he's single-handedly destroying the CanPL sub-forum for a large percentage of members. The only worthwhile posts he makes are when he puts up the highlight links for individual matches.

If that's what it says about me, I'm more than content.

Destroyed the forum mostly.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Owners buys into CSB and owns shares of CSB (Expansion fees = buying into CSB)

CSB-->Marketing arm of CPL & CSA --> Redistribute profits to CPL clubs & CSA

CSB --> owns CPL, L1O

CPL--> Regulates the league --> Clubs are league members ,not owned by the league --> Clubs owns the contracts --> players and clubs abides by CPL regulation

So far so good?

Edited by Ansem
Link to post
Share on other sites

If CanPL has what would be conventionally understood within the sport as independent clubs why was a 25% wage cut imposed league wide last season rather than having each club handle the matter separately with their contracted players as happened in European leagues? Why is the league imposing a 4 imports vetted from an agency rule this season rather than allowing the clubs to build their own rosters as they see fit?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If CanPL has what would be conventionally understood within the sport as independent clubs why was a 25% wage cut imposed league wide last season rather than having each club handle the matter separately with their contracted players as happened in European leagues? Why is the league imposing a 4 imports vetted from an agency rule this season rather than allowing the clubs to build their own rosters as they see fit?

They could be agreeing together. But then that would be a form of trust or monopoly, and then, regardless of the supposed independence, they'd be violating the principles associated with independent business practices.

The "advantage" of practices involving the unofficial exercise of a trust is that a club could always opt out, there is no contractual obligation to behave in favour of the monopoly. I personally believe that some clubs, soon, and perhaps even now, are rogue in other areas, with the result that other proposed monopolistic practices are not applied.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...The "advantage" of practices involving the unofficial exercise of a trust is that a club could always opt out,...

True, but Aird25's post about Pacific FC possibly being about to intentionally leave roster spots vacant that are allocated to agency approved imports would suggest an element of compulsion that moves beyond the unofficial exercise of a trust, if accurate. Will be interesting to watch what unfolds on that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...