DJT

Canadians abroad: December 28, 2018 - January 3, 2019

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for December 28, 2018 - January 3, 2019.
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

England

Hoilett starts against Leicester City. 83 mins for Hoilett, Cardiff wins it late. 

Leutwiler is the back up for match with Sheffield United

Scotland

As mentioned above Arfield started against Celtic and came out in extra time in a 1-0 win. He completely bossed the game. 

Wotherspoon starts for St Johnstone against Dundee FC. Went 90 in a 2-0 win. 

Simeon Jackson starts against Kilmarnock. 90 mins in a 2-1 loss. 

Zanatta starts for Alloa against Dundee United who are giving Aird a rare rest. Aird played the last in a 2-1 loss. As stated below Zanatta had the winner in the 89th and a yellow late. 

Charlie Trafford starts on the ICTFC bench for match with Ross County. Remained on the bench in a 2-1 loss. 

Harry Paton starts for Stenhousemuir against Dumbarton. Paton put Stenhousemuir ahead in the 10th. 90 mins in a 2-2 draw

Haber remained on the bench for Falkirk in a 4-2 loss.

Godinho starts for Hearts against Hibs. 90 mins ina 1-0 win

Edited by jordan

4 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Zanatta with the winner in the 89’. I think that’s goals in three straight for him

If somebody finds a video...please post it.

Jack Haugh @JackMHaugh
FollowFollow @JackMHaugh
More

2-1 and Dario Zanatta has just scored one of the goals of the season. Incredible

8:46 AM - 29 Dec 2018

Watched the hearts hibs game and godinho is the weak link defensively..too many times late tracking back and beaten..hard to see him being a starter once injured defenders return

On 12/29/2018 at 12:14 PM, jordan said:

Scotland

As mentioned above Arfield started against Celtic and came out in extra time in a 1-0 win. He completely bossed the game. 

Wotherspoon starts for St Johnstone against Dundee FC. Went 90 in a 2-0 win. 

Simeon Jackson starts against Kilmarnock. 90 mins in a 2-1 loss. 

Zanatta starts for Alloa against Dundee United who are giving Aird a rare rest. Aird played the last in a 2-1 loss. As stated below Zanatta had the winner in the 89th and a yellow late. 

Charlie Trafford starts on the ICTFC bench for match with Ross County. Remained on the bench in a 2-1 loss. 

Harry Paton starts for Stenhousemuir against Dumbarton. Paton put Stenhousemuir ahead in the 10th. 90 mins in a 2-2 draw

Haber remained on the bench for Falkirk in a 4-2 loss.

Godinho starts for Hearts against Hibs. 90 mins ina 1-0 win

Great report. 

Ummm...maybe I have ben out of sync with everyone else given my expat situ, but WHY are there so many Canadians playing in Scotland? What's the story with that, anyway? Any elucidation for an old confused Canuck....?

11 hours ago, beachesl said:

Great report. 

Ummm...maybe I have ben out of sync with everyone else given my expat situ, but WHY are there so many Canadians playing in Scotland? What's the story with that, anyway? Any elucidation for an old confused Canuck....?

Godinho, Paton, and Zanatta have the same agent. All three ended up at Hearts 3 summers ago.

17 hours ago, beachesl said:

Great report. 

I can think of a combination of agents, linkages between expat Scots in Canada, common language (somewhat) and/or family ties.  

I’m still a bit puzzled as to why a disproportionate number of Canadians have wound up at Hearts more so than any other club - going back to Kevin McKenna.  And I’ve been a supporter since the bad old 1970s.

28 minutes ago, KW519 said:

To those familiar with the Scottish premiership, how does it compare quality wise to MLS? 

I think top to bottom MLS is better, but Celtic, Rangers and a few of the other top sides would compete with the top sides in MLS.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:39 PM, Brethers8 said:

Love this tweet by rangers

And this is the greatest drop ball ever contested, scotty rolling up the shorts ready to kick the **** out of brown

I wonder how many Scotts regret Scotland not capping Arfield, now that he is back in the SPL and showing he’s one of the top midfielders in the division?

Hoillet played the entire 2nd half with the final score already up, 0-3 for Spurs. He was easily their most dangerous attacking player, even touching the ball in maybe 10 attacking plays, he had over half their shots and a few dangerous ones. He was even dangerous when he was not trying to be. But the team was very soft in defense 1st half, without Spurs doing anything special. And in general Cardiff City is weak without the ball, Hoillet included and maybe even worse than most: they are positionally quite the mess, the players are constantly trying to sort each other out, pointing fingers. Pressure is inconsistent and half-hearted, if the rival didn't attack they wouldn't get the ball back. With the ball they are not bad at all, they are quick coming out. Probably also missing a better centre forward as they are playing Paterson, a CB, as attacker, and he has actually done better than the others: but he's obviously not a real attacking talent. 

Clearly Cardiff City are playing a different league and avoiding relegation did not involve a result today. 

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Pedro Pacheco came on m. 58 for Santa Clara in top flight Portugal, they lost late to Tondela 1-2 but are mid-table. They'll still need points to avoid relegation but are in a good place.

Call him up!

He should be at camp poutine!  

You don't call up the captain of a 1st division Portugal team to a camp outside of FIFA window, that would be silly and insulting. He is obviously on form enough to help us, if we need him. If we were to have a need at DM, either Hutch or Piette injured, MAK maybe not back on form properly for the Gold Cup, we should call him in: he is, based on tier and the last 18 months, better than he ever was.