League 1 Ontario 2019

Ansem

September 22, 2019  Oakville Blue Devils vs Masters FA Saints.   Second leg of semi-final  

My game report at:  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o119.htm  

Also some news about the year end Awards banquet being replaced by a presentation at the October 6, 2019 CPL game in Hamilton between Forge FC and York 9 FC.  

On 9/14/2019 at 11:49 PM, Rocket Robin said:

Now the two who suggested this were Alliance head coach Ilya Orlov and assistant Julian Green! I'd like to thank them now for their warning as the game ended 5-0 for London.

The fact that this semifinal matchup finished with a 15-0 aggregate score should be an absolute embarassment for the league.

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

The fact that this semifinal matchup finished with a 15-0 aggregate score should be an absolute embarassment for the league.

Wasnt there some sort of goof, where a bunch of the kids went back to U-sports and left them hanging with barely enough for an 11??  

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Wasnt there some sort of goof, where a bunch of the kids went back to U-sports and left them hanging with barely enough for an 11??  

Yeah, but you would hope these L1O teams would have a decent enough youth program to fill out the roster and not get beat THAT bad.

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah, but there should never be that kind of goof in a league that takes itself seriously.

Players going back to U-Sports and NCAA near the start of August is well-known.  If it's going to be disruptive to this extent (ie making a playoff semifinal match a complete joke), then they need to find another solution.

Having a summer/fall split is probably the best way to do things.  Or you shorten the season even more so this doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, but there should never be that kind of goof in a league that takes itself seriously.

Players going back to U-Sports and NCAA near the start of August is well-known.  If it's going to be disruptive to this extent (ie making a playoff semifinal match a complete joke), then they need to find another solution.

Having a summer/fall split is probably the best way to do things.  Or you shorten the season even more so this doesn't happen.

If you let more/all teams into the Canadian Championship then I think this becomes less of an issue. The champion can be the team that combines a great season with having a strong youth setup that can survive departures from the first team for NCAA and U-Sports. And it doesn't prevent the team that has the strongest best XI from having their shot at the big boys in the Voyageurs Cup, even if they aren't the champions.

I'd rather keep the long season than have it be a super short PDL type of season. It maybe helps the next generation make the leap the following year, and for any players that aren't in school soccer it keeps them from twiddling their thumbs for an extra month or two.

23 minutes ago, Kent said:

If you let more/all teams into the Canadian Championship then I think this becomes less of an issue. The champion can be the team that combines a great season with having a strong youth setup that can survive departures from the first team for NCAA and U-Sports. And it doesn't prevent the team that has the strongest best XI from having their shot at the big boys in the Voyageurs Cup, even if they aren't the champions.

I'd rather keep the long season than have it be a super short PDL type of season. It maybe helps the next generation make the leap the following year, and for any players that aren't in school soccer it keeps them from twiddling their thumbs for an extra month or two.

I had a chat with Dino on Twitter about this one time.  Apparently the L1O teams don't want more spots in the Voyageurs.  Sad to hear but I imagine it comes down to a cost/benefit argument (not to mention the administrative & logistical side of things, pity the league or CSA can't help with that though).

I'd rather keep the long season too but the general trend over the last couple of years has been to shorten it up.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, Gopherbashi said:

I had a chat with Dino on Twitter about this one time.  Apparently the L1O teams don't want more spots in the Voyageurs.  Sad to hear but I imagine it comes down to a cost/benefit argument (not to mention the administrative & logistical side of things, pity the league or CSA can't help with that though).

I'd rather keep the long season too but the general trend over the last couple of years has been to shorten it up.

Yeah, I have definitely noticed the trend of shortening the season and I don't like it. I hope it stops or ideally reverses itself but I admit I haven't exactly been doing no my part about going to L1O games. I'd also like it if games like tonight drew more than a half full crowd (especially since apparently the ticket came with season tickets). I wish the Voyageurs Cup was a bigger draw so that these L1O and PLSQ teams would be chomping at the bit to get in and make some money instead of being quietly happy that they don't have to foot the bill for playing in the tournament.

L1O has to watch at the other end of starting their season earlier.  You've got some of the teams not getting their players back until school is over so have to keep it as first weekend in May.  Also can't get some of the city parks fields until then.  

Alliance is only a second year team and besides the U of T players they have the rather smallish Markham SC and Wexford SC youth clubs to draw from.  

Now what Toronto FC III did last year, because of their commitments to joining the USSDA system, was complete their regular season finishing fourth (playing their last month on an accelerated schedule with a younger than U-19 team ie TFCIII team age group)  but also announcing a month ahead of time that they would NOT be competing in the playoffs.  

Sigma FC has the same problems come playoff time (except last year when they had older players hanging around knowing Forge FC was coming so they could be seen) and Vaughan Azzurri to a lesser extent.  

Can only think that one game playoffs would cut two weeks off or maybe only four teams make it might end the season earlier.  or no playoffs if more teams join the league etc.  

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just watched the Canadian Championship game on OneSoccer.  They had the whole post game ceremony--medals, trophies, interviews after the game (the L1O Women's Final had at 93 minutes "Looks like FC London wins and goodnight folks" even though all that stuff was filmed.   Tonight seeing the stadium with the 250 Montreal fans who stayed behind at BMO to cheer after the game ended, the L1O post game could rival that in excitement and numbers.  

However OneSoccer doesn't have the game in their schedule.  Rerun of the Sept 22nd Cavalry vs Pacific game.  When will they update?  30 minutes before game time?  L1O bent over backwards not playing on Saturday because of OneSoccer holding three CPL games.  Game time could be tough on FC London fans getting here +200km away through rush hour GTA traffic.  

8 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Oops.  Looks like One Soccer not covering the Men's Final but it will be Livestreamed instead.  Probably means more people will watch as it's free!  

https://livestream.com/accounts/8629960/events/8833728?origin=event_published&mixpanel_id=fc6c27dc51180-0dc668bf3-43681f0a-2ee000-fc6c27dc5274f&acc_id=9438654&medium=email

I like that it'll be streamed for free, but I don't like that OneSoccer is giving it a pass completely.

This is the most important match of the year for the league, and really provides us with good look at CPL's future prospects and the sides that will be in the Canadian Championship next year.

Hopefully we'll hear more in the near future about what we can expect from OneSoccer re: L1O matches in 2020. They have the rights, so I really want to see them use it.

It's unfortunate that a championship game has a red card, it was the right call though.  It was a fairly even match before the card, with London having the better scoring opportunities.  Without Koskinas in goal for the Saints London may very well have got out to an early lead and really change the way the game was being played. 

There definitely won't be that many that make the jump this season.  A lot of players came back to play in L1O because they new that the CPL was starting up this season, the cream of the crop was picked away.

What the CPL season has shown is that the L1O guys have performed well.  With the size of the cap I wouldn't be surprised if more teams are willing to roll the dice on a younger guy out of L1O instead of an older more established player.

• 4 weeks later...

November 11, 2019 Rocket Robin's Soccer in Toronto 2019 Review at www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o133.htm
I attended 77 games around the GTA including all the York 9 FC, Toronto FC II, Toronto held Canadian National team, and forty League 1 Ontario games.
You can read all my game reports for free!