Ansem

League 1 Ontario 2019

6 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

August 11, 2019 League 1 Ontario  Vaughan Azzurri vs Pro Stars Academy FC played at NMRP in Maple.  

My game report at http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o094.htm  

Another Goal of the Year contender.  

Rocket Robin..you are our L1O expert here.  Who is making a splash this year that might be in the CPL next year??  Any good defenders that would like to come to help Valour??  

On 8/12/2019 at 2:48 PM, Bison44 said:

Rocket Robin..you are our L1O expert here.  Who is making a splash this year that might be in the CPL next year??  Any good defenders that would like to come to help Valour??  

There's probably quite a few.  HFX just signed their third player from Vaughan Azzurri by picking up defender Duran Lee who also played for Sigma FC and the Toronto FC Academy in previous years.  

Posted (edited)

Friday August 16, 2019  League 1 Ontario  North Mississauga Panthers SC vs Sigma FC played at Paramount Fine Foods Centre in Mississauga.  

The deciding game of the Sauga City Collective supporter's group Credit River Cup. 

My game report at:  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o097.htm  

Edited by Rocket Robin

On 8/12/2019 at 11:48 AM, Bison44 said:

I find this an interesting question. There seems to be little correlation between L1O and NCAA. Brandon Duarte looks like a prospect in L1O but did very little for St John's in NCAA. His teammate there Alistair Johnston was scoring so many goals he transfers to one of the best programs in the US at Wake Forest. But he barely plays for Vaughan Azzurri. 

Duarte is a '97 and Johnston is '98, so maybe it's just a year of maturity in a physical league.

August 18, 2019  Woodbridge Strikers vs Unionville-Milliken SC at Vaughan Grove.

My game report at: http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o098.htm

I attended 29 League 1 Ontario Men's regular season games and saw each team a MINIMUM of 3 times.

Tough with York 9 FC and Toronto FC II  games.

Bring on the playoffs!

On 8/12/2019 at 2:48 PM, Bison44 said:

off the top of my head a bunch of the Alliance backline (Stakic, Nazemi, Lioutas, Maurutto-Robinson) that conceded only 6 goals all season are at UofT so could be drafted?

i don't understand eligibility stuff, but i believe Lioutas will be 5th year and therefore can sign to whoever - if someone wants him. he's good at taking set pieces. Stakic has also scored a load of penalties this year.

victor gallo at oakville is another that could be gambled on. he's a bit older at 27 so may have a lower ceiling but could do a job in a pinch. i believe the rest of the Oakville defence are in Usports or NCAA

others that could come in directly that are not involved in Usports/NCAA are Leaford Allen, Maksym Kowal, Ethan Gopaul, Rajvir Kahlon (though i think he has a good job that will pay more than CPL), zach drake. Tyriq Armstrong - i think could make the jump and is only like 18/19 yo. i haven't seen anything about him going to uni, i expect him to go to forge as he moved to sigma from oakville this year.

probably missing some

The Men's Final will be held on Friday September 27th at 8:00pm.  It's already been announced as being streamed on OneSoccer.   

Asking L1O Commissioner Dino Rossi before Saturday's Women's Final, I found out it will be held at the Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan.  It's on a Friday as OneSoccer has a triple-header of CPL games on Saturday.  

I don't have a problem with that (all going well) although I'm going to have to have to blast away from BMO Training Centre in Downsview where TFC II will have finished playing their final home game of the season in theory by 6:00pm.  

It just will be hard on supporters if their team is from out of town.  The Men's teams of FC London and Oakville Blue Devils (who actually finished first) are in the quarterfinals right now.  London is a two hour drive to Vaughan (north of Toronto) on a Saturday holiday weekend but try to get here on a weeknight with rush hour traffic.  Oakville is a lot closer but it's harder to avoid the Toronto traffic.  

Also still in the mix are teams inside the GTA:

Alliance United and Master's Futbol   both from Scarborough 

Sigma FC and North Mississauga both from Mississauga  

Vaughan FC from Maple,  new field is less than 10 km north-east from Ontario Soccer Centre

Woodbridge Strikers (their home field is less than 500 metres from the Ontario Soccer Centre) 

A late dagger into the heart of Azzurri last night. 

For the first time ever neither Vaughan nor Woodbridge will lift a trophy.  Anyone know why there was no L1 Cup this year?

Edited by Stouffvillain

On 9/9/2019 at 3:09 PM, Stouffvillain said:

A late dagger into the heart of Azzurri last night. 

For the first time ever neither Vaughan nor Woodbridge will lift a trophy.  Anyone know why there was no L1 Cup this year?

The owners didn't want the Cup games (over the years scheduled midweek) which wouldn't leave much time to promote nor even rent out a stadium on short notice.  

Just a quick message from the League 1 Ontario games of Saturday September 14, 2019 as I've got an early start tomorrow.

Today was the first game of the semi-finals with the second legs happening next weekend.

I was at the Masters FA vs Oakville Blue Devils game at L'Amoreaux Park in Scarborough. That ended 0-0 and was a pretty rough game with at least two multi player dustups. At the end of the night both teams had a player Red carded and OBD earned five Yellows and Masters had two. Referee Brian Butler knew what he was doing and didn't fall for any in the box diving.

Trainers had to be called out a few times for injuries to both teams.

I thought there may have been about 100 people on this cool night with the temperature dropping as the sun had set just before the game started.

Good defences on both sides with Spiridon Koskinas for Masters and Lukas Birnstingl for Oakville. Birnstingl has a shutout stretching through the playoffs back to the regular season.

I had started the evening at Mt Joy for the Alliance United vs FC London game as I expected I could be in Oakville next weekend and therefore would have seen the 'final four' again before the championship game.

It was suggested that I leave well before the game started because Alliance had only eleven players and none of their University of Toronto guys were here (two games this weekend?) and the team had no substitutions. They were trying to call in some guys just to sit on the bench and avoid the fine imposed by the league. “The game (score) could get ugly” and “it'll be a massacre” was what I heard. Quite a shock as the team only lost 1 game all season! I took his advice and drove to L'Amoreaux (it was actually on my way home anyway).

Now the two who suggested this were Alliance head coach Ilya Orlov and assistant Julian Green! I'd like to thank them now for their warning as the game ended 5-0 for London. While at the Master's game the L1O tweets stopped early so I though the game was still 1-0. Well the chances of going to the return leg in London next Friday night were remote anyway but now that's saved me the drive for sure. Now AU won't bother to play U of T players even if they have no games next week with a scoreline like that.  

More details in a few days but I may have a larger role tomorrow at the York 9 matinee game as a lot of reporters will be at the Toronto FC game downtown (the games overlap) and even the CPL league reporters will be split up as the Forge FC game in Hamilton will end at the exact time as the York game begins.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

twitter @RocketRobin01

7 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

More details in a few days but I may have a larger role tomorrow at the York 9 matinee game as a lot of reporters will be at the Toronto FC game downtown (the games overlap) and even the CPL league reporters will be split up as the Forge FC game in Hamilton will end at the exact time as the York game begins.

If this means you'll get to do a write up for the game for canpl.ca or something, congrats! Well deserved.