Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ansem

League 1 Ontario 2019

Recommended Posts

The season schedule is now available.

Several changes to the format:

  • Season runs May - August, 15-games each
  • Two-legged Quarterfinals & Semifinals
  • 1 Final Championship Match
  • L1O Cup Competition eliminated

 

Article on changes: https://www.league1ontario.com/news_article/show/1003860

Schedule: https://www.league1ontario.com/page/show/2309116-schedule-results

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So that's a net loss of 1 team on the men's side. Sanjaxx and TFC III are gone, Durham United is added.

Net gain of 1 team on the women's side. Toronto Azzuri Blizzard and West Ottawa are gone. FC Oshawa, Alliance United and OSU Force added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2018: "I'll go watch North Toronto Nitros when they play at Varsity."
(2018 schedule confirms team has folded)

2019: "I'll go watch Sanjaxx Lions."
(2019 schedule confirms team has folded)

PAY ME LARGE SUMS OF MONEY OR I'LL PLAN TO SUPPORT YOUR LEAGUE1 ONTARIO TEAM IN 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow first weekend of L1O and 'former' powerhouses Sigma visit Vaughan Azzurri on Saturday afternoon May 4th.  I say former because no two teams have had their rosters raided more than them.  Sigma players to Forge and Vaughan to York 9 (although one to Valour).  I won't be surprised if they fill their rosters with more teenagers this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NorthBayfan001 said:

I'm 100% for League 1 Ontario, but for those who say how the PDL only runs 2 months with a short schedule, L1O is only running 4 months with only a couple games more than PDL + playoffs. IMO, they should be running a 6-7 month, 20-25 game minimum.

Yeah, unfortunately the trend is in the wrong direction. The first year was a 16 game season, but that was a balanced home and away season, so it seemed OK. It also had the Cup to go along with it. Then from 2015 through 2017 it was a 22 game season, plus the Cup. Pretty respectable. Then it shrunk to a 16 game season plus the Cup last year, and now this year the schedule has shrunk by another game (to 15), they've also shed the Cup, and the number of teams (all this is on the men's side) has shrunk for the first time by 1 as well.

Hopefully these changes are for the better in some way, like sustainability, because we need more leagues at this level across the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
April 21, 2019 My game report on League 1 Ontario Oakville Blue Devils vs PLSQ A.S. Blainville exhibition game in Oakville. Includes interviews with coaches and players. Should also interest York 9 FC fans as they will play Blainville in the first round of the Voyageurs Cup.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FC Gatineau (PLSQ) 1 OSU (League One) 1

Friendly this afternoon.  Was a good game.  Mutual respect between both teams.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 12:53 PM, Kent said:

Yeah, unfortunately the trend is in the wrong direction. The first year was a 16 game season, but that was a balanced home and away season, so it seemed OK. It also had the Cup to go along with it. Then from 2015 through 2017 it was a 22 game season, plus the Cup. Pretty respectable. Then it shrunk to a 16 game season plus the Cup last year, and now this year the schedule has shrunk by another game (to 15), they've also shed the Cup, and the number of teams (all this is on the men's side) has shrunk for the first time by 1 as well.

Hopefully these changes are for the better in some way, like sustainability, because we need more leagues at this level across the country.

I think there's too much pressure from the more established players to return to their NCAA teams.

The L1O sides seemed to start playing their non-college B teams anyway once the later games hit with the longer schedule, which I don't think was what they wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I think there's too much pressure from the more established players to return to their NCAA teams.

The L1O sides seemed to start playing their non-college B teams anyway once the later games hit with the longer schedule, which I don't think was what they wanted.

I get that, but I thought I also heard comments (don't remember who was saying it) that the heavier/later schedule gave chances to play the younger guys and integrate them a bit more within the team. So even if a lot of the big guns have gone back to NCAA play, there seemed to still be some value. Maybe not enough value to justify the cost I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kent said:

I get that, but I thought I also heard comments (don't remember who was saying it) that the heavier/later schedule gave chances to play the younger guys and integrate them a bit more within the team. So even if a lot of the big guns have gone back to NCAA play, there seemed to still be some value. Maybe not enough value to justify the cost I guess.

It also detracted from the competition when championships were being fought by B teams instead of the team that played two-thirds of the season.

The later schedule was absolutely a benefit for getting those U18 guys some premium playing minutes, but it seems like they decided to go with their B league instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

May 3, 2019 details of the League1Ontario opening game between Darby FC and FC London

Includes sound files with both coaches (page down)

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o022.htm

The deal is a I add pics and play by play a few days later.

I'm trying to hit 4 games this weekend!   

 

Edited by Rocket Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
May 5, 2019  details of League1Ontario  Woodbridge Strikers vs Windsor TFC game at Vaughan Grove.  
 
 
photos, lineups, and game play in days to come but interviews with both coaches are up now (page down in report).  
 
Fourth L1O game for me this weekend (Saturday games to follow)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May 4, 2019  details of League1Ontario  Vaughan Azzurri vs Sigma FC at McNaughton Turf.  

my report at:  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o023.htm

photos, lineups, and game play in days to come but interviews with both coaches are up now (page down in report).  

The interview with Vaughan head coach Patrice Gheisar should be of some interest to HFX Wanderers fans as they will be first round opponents in the Canadian Championship.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May 4, 2019 details of League 1 Ontario game between Masters FA vs Pro Stars FC played at L'Amoreaux Park in Scarborough. 

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1o024.htm

photos, lineups, and game play in days to come but interviews with both coaches are up now (page down in report).

The interview with Masters head coach Rick Titus should be of interest to York 9 FC fans as I ask him about the different times he's coached Cyrus Rollocks since the age of 10.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...