Why isn't there a Canada/USA rivalry in men's soccer?

PhillyJawn-guy

The US and Mexico had some rivalry for a while since the 1990's and on forums and reddit Mexican fans always look down on the US and laugh at their misfortune. I'll say much of it is deserved as Mexico is so far above the US it's not even a real rivalry. But the US and Canada never developed a rivalry in soccer for some reason, despite the 2 countries being more similar in skill level and international accomplishments compared to Mexico. You can say that Canada has underperformed for the past 30 years and fell to minnow levels but in the past 2 years a new crop of Canadian talent has appeared and IMHO they're superior to anything the US has ever had. So with Canada improving faster than the US with the possibility of surpassing them, the 2 teams are more even now than ever since  the 1980's when Canada was the better team. So is it time for a soccer rivalry with the US? And since Canada doesn't speak Spanish, we need a new phrase to replace Dos a Cero.

I feel like Canada and the US are rivals, we just never play each other in official matches.  We’ve only played 2 Gold cup games since 2007.  

Unpopular opinion: our men’s team is a closer rival to the US than our women’s squad, we just don’t play enough matches.  

In the last 15 games (since March 1991) between Canada and USA in men's soccer, Canada has 0 wins, 6 draws, and 9 losses.

In the last 35 games (since June 2001) between Canada and USA in women's soccer, Canada has 0 wins, 6 draws, and 29 losses.

In the last 27 games (since the start of 2000) between USA and Mexico in men's soccer, USA has 14 wins, 6 draws, and 7 losses. (note, in World Cup qualifiers and the Gold Cup the results are very even. USA 6 wins, 2 draws, and 7 losses. Mexico never beats USA in friendlies and all but 1 friendly over this time period has been hosted in the USA)

That's why we don't really have a rivalry with the USA, and why Keegan's opinion that our men's team is a closer rival than our women's team is probably correct, and why the USA vs Mexico rivalry is more even than you try to lead on.

From the Canadian perspective we are totally rivals. Other than making the World Cup my number one dream as a Canadian soccer fan is to return to the days when we beat them regularly, or at least once before I die.

From the American perspective... wait, Canada is a real country? How do they play soccer on ice?

12 hours ago, Keegan said:

I feel like Canada and the US are rivals, we just never play each other in official matches.  We’ve only played 2 Gold cup games since 2007.  

Unpopular opinion: our men’s team is a closer rival to the US than our women’s squad, we just don’t play enough matches.  

The most obvious reason we don’t play them often in official matches is that we don’t qualify for the hex nor do we advance far enough in the Gold Cup. i.e. we just haven’t been anywhere near good enough to cultivate a rivalry with them.

Archived