Nike?

Admin

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Unless you consider $ an important factor.

Yeah but under Umbro and or Adidas Canada was not making money with their Jersey sales...but at least with Nike making way more in sales than they ever did with either of those companies and most countries these days are signed with Nike especially the big names like France, Portugal, Netherlands, Brazil, USA, Chile, Australia, etc

46 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but under Umbro and or Adidas Canada was not making money with their Jersey sales...

Says who? And how do those sales compare to now?

At least with Umbro and Adidas the CSA was paid for the privilege of creating and selling jerseys, something that is standard for any self-respecting governing body. 

And Umbro was passionate about their position, they had working relationship with the Vs and the CSA. They also offered full customization and at an affordable price, it's been a year and half with Nike and that's still not available.

Soooooo ya. Nike has a slick design people think they're a cool company, I guess it was worth it?

16 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Says who? And how do those sales compare to now?

At least with Umbro and Adidas the CSA was paid for the privilege of creating and selling jerseys, something that is standard for any self-respecting governing body. 

And Umbro was passionate about their position, they had working relationship with the Vs and the CSA. They also offered full customization and at an affordable price, it's been a year and half with Nike and that's still not available.

Soooooo ya. Nike has a slick design people think they're a cool company, I guess it was worth it?

Yeah it was worth it because most Canada jerseys that I have seen especially where I come from for Men's and Women's jerseys usually are best sellers and with Nike, Canada if they stay Nike and qualify for Qatar 2022 they stand to make even more money in jersey sales

8 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah it was worth it because most Canada jerseys that I have seen especially where I come from for Men's and Women's jerseys usually are best sellers and with Nike, Canada if they stay Nike and qualify for Qatar 2022 they stand to make even more money in jersey sales

How do you know? Please provide all figures and tables related to jersey sales of the top 100 highest revenue generating football associations.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And Umbro was passionate about their position, they had working relationship with the Vs .

What was that exactly? 

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

They also offered full customization and at an affordable price, it's been a year and half with Nike and that's still not available.

This is true. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

What was that exactly? 

This is true. 

The President of Umbro Canada as well as other staff used to post here and they read the comments related to merchandise. And it seemed to matter to them.

They also donated lots of hoodies, shoes, jackets, jerseys, etc. for viewing party giveaways. They helped pay for some print advertising. They promoted our viewing parties on the social media. They were involved and said multiple times that they wanted to grow the   national teams and the brand in Canada, not in public spaces to an audience but privately when no one was listening and it didn’t serve them.

I remember when the blue centennial jersey was about to drop a rep contacted me to show in advance of the unveiling because he knew I would appreciate it. He was also super excited for the audio wave of us singing O Canada stitched into the neck of the jersey.

I haven’t seen anything like that from Nike.

Very interesting. Thanks @BuzzAndSting

The thing I disliked about Umbro was that every jersey was literally from their team wear catalog without absolutely no custom features (there was only 2 custom jerseys IIRC) The soundwave thing was cute, but really cheap IMO. 

So I definitely can see how much it easier it was to giveaway jerseys when there wasn't much customization. (Oh yea the numbers, were cool too) 

Although I will say pre-Adidas the Umbro kits were sick! 

I think we gotta keep in mind that we are in our 2nd year with Nike, and i like our first custom jersey. Going forward, Im interested in seeing the benefits from the sporting side ( Nike Tournaments etc). 

Edited by Shway

Exactly Canada is fairly new to Nike still unlike most countries who have already been with Nike as a kit sponsor for years. Plus there will be many benefits I am sure that come with Nike provided Canada starts qualifying for major tournaments from now going into the future from here on out. Plus the Nike kits are much more good looking.

8 hours ago, Shway said:

Very interesting. Thanks @BuzzAndSting

The thing I disliked about Umbro was that every jersey was literally from their team wear catalog without absolutely no custom features (there was only 2 custom jerseys IIRC) The soundwave thing was cute, but really cheap IMO. 

So I definitely can see how much it easier it was to giveaway jerseys when there wasn't much customization. (Oh yea the numbers, were cool too) 

Although I will say pre-Adidas the Umbro kits were sick! 

I think we gotta keep in mind that we are in our 2nd year with Nike, and i like our first custom jersey. Going forward, Im interested in seeing the benefits from the sporting side ( Nike Tournaments etc). 

We're also a year in and a half with Nike and we still can't buy a crested jersey, that's unacceptable.

45 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

We're also a year in and a half with Nike and we still can't buy a crested jersey, that's unacceptable.

Yeah but the thing about being with Nike though is that every year or 2 they constantly update or even change a country's jersey in terms of design and overall look but that's good 

39 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but the thing about being with Nike though is that every year or 2 they constantly update or even change a country's jersey in terms of design and overall look but that's good 

Big deal. Umbro released at least 1 new jersey per year.

So you're more interested in style, some of us are more into financial benefit for the organization. 

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Big deal. Umbro released at least 1 new jersey per year.

So you're more interested in style, some of us are more into financial benefit for the organization. 

Obviously into financial benefit but that doesn't just happen overnight you know like it is like you're expecting instant results here...these things obviously take time and I can understand the impatience but come on we have only been with Nike for like a year and a half like geez have patience. The financial benefits come when the team is performing but then again consumers are going to want to buy more Canada jerseys if the team let's say were to qualify for a World Cup.

16 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

If the team performs and let's say qualifies for the World Cup it will sell its jerseys who ever the supplier is I would assume.

Exactly what I'm saying or what I've been trying to say that if Canada qualifies for the World Cup, jersey sales will improve. However, until then you just can't expect instantaneous results right away when it comes to jersey sales especially with Nike. Like come on, patience people!!!

32 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Obviously into financial benefit but that doesn't just happen overnight you know like it is like you're expecting instant results here...

A year and a half is instant?

34 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

these things obviously take time and I can understand the impatience but come on we have only been with Nike for like a year and a half like geez have patience.

Name one thing in the year and half that Nike has done to further the brand of the CSA. We can't even order an Alphonso Davies jersey, how ridiculous is that? 

36 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

The financial benefits come when the team is performing but then again consumers are going to want to buy more Canada jerseys if the team let's say were to qualify for a World Cup.

What an astute observation... A successful team will be more popular and a more popular team will sell more merchandise? You must be a professor of marketing. Please enlighten us.

It is more an observation but it is not exactly rocket science if you know your marketing...if you have a product (that of course being the Canada jersey) and your product is under a certain company that being a kit sponsor of Nike...your product of course is going to go through a boom period but then there are obviously going to be downturns in the economic market. Downturn being that Canada for the most part is not competing in any major tournaments right now. We are not in the middle of a Gold Cup or World Cup season so sales are going to be low right now. Boom period however starts when Canada is in the middle of a major tournament let's say a Gold Cup or a World Cup. Sales will only go up if the country qualifies for said tournament. However, the boom period can go one of 2 ways. If it is a Gold Cup yeah sure sales will be high but sales will only be higher if the country say qualifies for a World Cup. The price Canada pays for signing with Nike because Nike if anything cares about in case of a national team if said national team qualifies for a major tournament but if that major tournament is the World Cup, sales double even triple tenfold because of just how special of an event the World Cup is.

14 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Exactly my point

That wasn't your point in your first two posts: 

Yeah but under Umbro and or Adidas Canada was not making money with their Jersey sales...but at least with Nike making way more in sales than they ever did with either of those companies...

Whether Nike designs better jerseys than the others is highly subjective.  I like some of their kits with other countries but they have also whiffed on many others. So far, Nike hasn't done much to generate sales beyond what Adidas or Umbro have done previously. 

As other have noted, for a country like Canada, results on the pitch matter more than anything a kit provider does. We have seen this with the women where jersey sales jumped post London. Nike jersey sales will have a hard time matching that sales level until the men's team qualifies for the WC.

For Nike so far, they had a good tv ad for the Women's World Cup and an ad featuring AD that got some traction online. Up until this release, the jersey has been pretty generic and not widely available.