Jump to content

Montreal Area CPL Team


Chad_Impact
 Share

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

It's not quite identical, but damn . . . I guess the team-formerly-know-as-the-Impact liked your idea. 

c230d8c3-5686-11eb-a88b-02fe89184577.jpg

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2021-01-14/l-impact-devient-le-club-de-foot-montreal.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also, if anyone else is like me and prefers the existing crest, a lot of their now-obsolete merch is on sale. https://www.montrealimpactstore.ca/montreal-impact/t-25780263+os-67+z-933313-3715273288

I like the logo, it's a lot better for branding purposes....buttt the name wasn't necessary to change. Plain and simple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

The great majority of people aren't very impressed with the change. This would be the ideal time for a CPL team in MTL area (Laval).

I agree, if Forge, Valour and Atletico can play out of CFL stadiums (including Whitecaps) there's no reason for a CFL investor to not prioritize Percival Molson. It's on the mountain, the view is insane and located downtown - close to the business centre.

Also, the league said that being downtown was key to Halifax success. Granted you may not have such location eveywhere, you can't miss such an opportunity when it presents itself.

My advice is to not do what CF Montreal did and you're already halfway there

SACREBLEU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2021 at 4:52 PM, Ansem said:

I agree, if Forge, Valour and Atletico can play out of CFL stadiums (including Whitecaps) there's no reason for a CFL investor to not prioritize Percival Molson. It's on the mountain, the view is insane and located downtown - close to the business centre.

Also, the league said that being downtown was key to Halifax success. Granted you may not have such location eveywhere, you can't miss such an opportunity when it presents itself.

My advice is to not do what CF Montreal did and you're already halfway there

SACREBLEU

The stadium is too big and has football lines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

The stadium is too big and has football lines. 

It's smaller than the stadiums in Winnipeg and Ottawa - about the same as Tim Horton and the pitch can be modified

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trouble brewing for the team formerly known as the Impact. The locals are getting restless, brandishing pitchforks and torches. Perhaps a good time to welcome them in a warm embrace into CPL's arms?

 

 
Il y a en ce moment une liste d'attente pour les annulations d'abonnement de saison car le volume est trop important. La pétition est rendue à 4100 signatures et ça monte rapidement depuis hier. On arrête l'hémorragie
 

https://twitter.com/ultrasmontreal/status/1352658985099390978?s=20

Edited by fil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would be interesting if an ‚ÄúImpact de MTL‚ÄĚcame to be lol.¬†

I feel with pandemic, and this name farcical there’s a lot of expansion opportunities that should be beneficial alternatives in 2022.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, fil said:

Trouble brewing for the team formerly known as the Impact. The locals are getting restless, brandishing pitchforks and torches. Perhaps a good time to welcome them in a warm embrace into CPL's arms?

 

 
Il y a en ce moment une liste d'attente pour les annulations d'abonnement de saison car le volume est trop important. La pétition est rendue à 4100 signatures et ça monte rapidement depuis hier. On arrête l'hémorragie
 

https://twitter.com/ultrasmontreal/status/1352658985099390978?s=20

It's not a good name or logo, but if the team performs on the field they'll get used to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's not a good name or logo, but if the team performs on the field they'll get used to it.

Thing is, it is not big enough for maybe 75% of the fans to even think about not renewing season tickets (leave Covid aside). Do they care about the other 25%? Of course they do. But that number, which I doubt is that high, has no alternative for pro soccer in the city. And it will go down each month, in 3 years there maybe a 5-10% loss maximum for a name change. 

But that does not account for the reverse process, those people who maybe have kids starting to play, or are at a career stage they can afford to pay for a season, and they are the potential new fans. Immigrants from soccer-crazed countries. So a re-branding could be the excuse for them to come on board. Same thing happens when clubs build a new stadium, it is often an incentive. 

I am sure a Montreal CPL team would dig into disaffection with Impact and its derivations, if presented right. Even if it were a shift of 1500 fans that would be insignificant for the MLS team but possibly definitive in terms of budget for a CPL team. Is York going in this direction? Would a Fraser Valley team do the same?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thing is, it is not big enough for maybe 75% of the fans to even think about not renewing season tickets (leave Covid aside). Do they care about the other 25%? Of course they do. But that number, which I doubt is that high, has no alternative for pro soccer in the city. And it will go down each month, in 3 years there maybe a 5-10% loss maximum for a name change. 

But that does not account for the reverse process, those people who maybe have kids starting to play, or are at a career stage they can afford to pay for a season, and they are the potential new fans. Immigrants from soccer-crazed countries. So a re-branding could be the excuse for them to come on board. Same thing happens when clubs build a new stadium, it is often an incentive. 

I am sure a Montreal CPL team would dig into disaffection with Impact and its derivations, if presented right. Even if it were a shift of 1500 fans that would be insignificant for the MLS team but possibly definitive in terms of budget for a CPL team. Is York going in this direction? Would a Fraser Valley team do the same?

No matter how good a team is, there's always a certain level of turnover in a fanbase each year just do to lifestyle or financial considerations  And you're right, the name/logo is a way to potentially encourage new fans to come out.  Are there 1500 fans who are SO disaffected that they're willing to abandon the team they've supported for ages over a logo/name change?  I don't see that.  That's not to say there is/isn't a potential fan base for CPL in Montreal, just that this isn't the catylist to get that going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think another area that would work is Parc Jarry, northern Montréal.

Lots of space, already have a tradition of hosting major sporting events like Tennis and used to host the Expos.

Still enough land for a Halifax-like stadium.

Both Parc and De Castelneau subway stations on the blue line and Jarry subway on the orange line carrying people from downtown and Laval.

Screenshot_20210814-005056_Maps.thumb.jpg.5034b928a53bee4e29734850c10d0c18.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard could be an option.

also McGill stadium. 

0EEFEADC-1850-4AC3-98AD-9C26AAB66A8A.jpeg

That would make far more sense than McGill. McGill is a great location but they have turf with football lines on it and do not see that changing anytime soon with both university ball and the CFL playing there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...