At least the Whitecaps and Impact could join CPL

I'm really really sorry for trolling or beating a dead moose, but I have a thought:

The Impact and Whitecaps existed long before MLS was founded and were independent clubs before selling their souls to be a McFranchise of a gimmicky Mickey Mouse league. So it could be possible to sell their franchise rights to US investors and then pull out of MLS with some re-branding and maybe slightly change the names and become real clubs again.

Do Canadians want a commissioner who's a bumbling idiot say things like this:

Why should Dumbass Garber tell Whitecaps what to do with the money? This is all due to stupid single entity that the Caps can't act like an independent club and make their own decisions!!!

IS THIS A PROPER SOCCER LEAGUE?????? TALK TO ME/US!

Theoretically they could sell franchise/business unit rights either back to the MLS as Chivas did or to another investor that would move to another US market. Garber/MLS doesn't seem to have much reservations on moving to another market if it suits them and they don't need the Canadian markets.

Down the line, likely many years, this may happen for them and Toronto as well but its a long way off imho.

5 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Just to let you know I am a converted fan of Canadian soccer and CARE DEEPLY and I have TOO MUCH RESPECT to let Canadian soccer be dragged down to USA's dysfunctional fed and fake gimmicky league. O Canadian soccer, I'll stand on guard for thee against the USSF and MLS.

Look, I can’t stand the salary cap and arbitrary roster rules. I hate the idea of a college draft as a primary source of player intake. I can’t stand the obsession with top-down enforced ‘parity’, and I’m really not a fan of single entity crap. 

All that being said... TFC, then the Caps and the Impact, all took a massive chance by investing hundreds of millions when there was no track-record of successful soccer clubs here! That matters. Sure, CPL is more important, and I’m even more gung ho about the CPL than I was about MLS, but without MLS allowing us to have these three ‘franchises’ in their league, there’d still be nothing here. 

The CPL might never have come to be. 

I get everything you’re saying, and one day when this league does rival MLS for quality (which I doubt it will for a long time) and more importantly, when it rivals MLS for revenues, then and only then could I see the MLS clubs jump ship. 

What I don’t get though is your anti American derisive tone, it makes no sense, given all of the above, even if you feel that the MLS clubs should jump ship, you should be greatful for the fact that MLS exists, that it has succeeded as a league, and that it allowed us to have three clubs where none were thought possible! Now we have our own league, and I’d say it’s probably because the billionaires behind it saw that it can work here, thanks to MLS. 

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ams 1984...well put, but dont even waste your time arguing with him.  Philly is the boyfriend who is mad at ex girlfriend, and tries to date her roommate and only wants to talk about how much he hates he ex gf.  Dont fall for it.  

Cheers, thanks for the heads up. We’ll see how/if he responds. 

My issue if they all went to CPL is - you're putting all your eggs in one basket. I think the only reason the CPL is even in a position to take off is due to the public's general awareness of the 3 Canadian teams in MLS and those teams showing that high-level soccer is viable in Canada.

34 minutes ago, Initial B said:

My issue if they all went to CPL is - you're putting all your eggs in one basket. I think the only reason the CPL is even in a position to take off is due to the public's general awareness of the 3 Canadian teams in MLS and those teams showing that high-level soccer is viable in Canada.

That move makes sense only when CPL grows enough where it makes business sense for the 3 to join. I always used the CFL metrics for it. If CPL can one day match CFL in "Salary cap, revenues, sponsorship, TV contract etc..." then you have something to talk about. For the 3, selling their MLS franchise "high" and paying expansion to CPL "low" makes sense if they can maintain the same revenues, sponsorship, exposure and opportunities while expenses are lower, makes business sense. We aren't there because the league hasn't started so it's a premature talk

I don't understand what you mean by "putting all your eggs in one basket."

On 12/8/2018 at 10:39 AM, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Just to let you know I am a converted fan of Canadian soccer and CARE DEEPLY and I have TOO MUCH RESPECT to let Canadian soccer be dragged down to USA's dysfunctional fed and fake gimmicky league. O Canadian soccer, I'll stand on guard for thee against the USSF and MLS.

I'll tell you what. We'll take that dysfunctional fed, fake gimmicky, Mickey Mouse, McFranchise league off your hands, and in exchange you can have the "can't release a 2019 schedule" CPL.

Whaddya say, PhillyJawn-guy? Have we gotta deal?

49 minutes ago, Robert said:

I'll tell you what. We'll take that dysfunctional fed, fake gimmicky, Mickey Mouse, McFranchise league off your hands, and in exchange you can have the "can't release a 2019 schedule" CPL.

Whaddya say, PhillyJawn-guy? Have we gotta deal?

Wow. This is shaping up to be a real clash of the titans. 

Archived