2019 Concacaf Champions League

Toronto FC will face Club Athletico Independiente of Panama in the first round in February, so at least they avoid playing another -25 game in Colorado (or whatever that was last year).

KC get the toughest draw for the MLS teams this time as they face Toluca of Liga MX in the first round.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/16/2019 at 1:31 PM, Nerf said:

This is getting quite close now. All I want to see is a non-Mexican team win. Preferably TFC, but I don't think that is going to happen.

A non-Mex team breaking the status quo would be much needed to make the competition interesting. As long as a US team doesn't win, it's all good.

And with a 1-1 draw last night, TFC are out of the 2019 Champions League.

I'm so glad they get to rest all the way to the Canadian Championship semi-finals because of their long and exhausting battle in the Champions League. It would be completely unfair to have them compete in the Canadian Championship while they're fighting it out in Champions League... /s

I guess we can lock this thread now eh? Nothing to see here.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, Ruffian said:

Is anybody able to watch the non Toronto FC games? It seems Yahoo bought the rights for the USA and Canada but their streams are region locked in Canada. I really hope TSN didn't pay for the rights of all of it to Yahoo and just not broadcast it.

Last week I was in Cuba and it was glorious because they had the games on the Spanish version of ESPN. I managed to watch bits of some games. It's a shame there is seemingly no way to watch in Canada.

MLS loses the first leg of each quarter-final tie.  Say what you will about DP's, and player development, the only way to change this long term is money.  The salary cap may be great for parity, but it's a barrier for them in this tournament.  And whether they like it or not, the CCL is the measuring stick for MLS.  Their teams are routinely swept aside by Liga MX clubs, and often enough by others too. 

Oh well, the fun of watching a Canadian team compete continentally will make up for the inevitability of MLS capitulating in the CCL.

43 minutes ago, RJB said:

MLS loses the first leg of each quarter-final tie.  Say what you will about DP's, and player development, the only way to change this long term is money.  The salary cap may be great for parity, but it's a barrier for them in this tournament.  And whether they like it or not, the CCL is the measuring stick for MLS.  Their teams are routinely swept aside by Liga MX clubs, and often enough by others too. 

Oh well, the fun of watching a Canadian team compete continentally will make up for the inevitability of MLS capitulating in the CCL.

The cap was more about keeping owners from spending themselves into the the poorhouse while the league built something.  Now with DP, TAM GAM etc, there are ways that big owners can blow damn near as much cash as they want on 3-5 players, parity out the window.  A handful of MLS clubs spend many times more than the rest and even on those teams the money is really spent on 3-5 stars and not so much on the rest...  Is it all that much different from MX??  Serisouly asking cause I dont follow it enough to know the wages and history of the clubs.  

On 3/9/2019 at 5:34 PM, Bison44 said:

The cap was more about keeping owners from spending themselves into the the poorhouse while the league built something.  Now with DP, TAM GAM etc, there are ways that big owners can blow damn near as much cash as they want on 3-5 players, parity out the window.  A handful of MLS clubs spend many times more than the rest and even on those teams the money is really spent on 3-5 stars and not so much on the rest...  Is it all that much different from MX??  Serisouly asking cause I dont follow it enough to know the wages and history of the clubs.  

You make a good point. The original reason for the salary cap is obsolete. Why do they insist on keeping it now? The rules no longer protect owners from spending themselves into oblivion, and it doesn't even ensure parity even though I think that was just a side effect of the salary cap rather than the main reason. So why still have the cap? All it does is force teams to spend their money in a specific way, and that way is incredibly inefficient in terms of money spent for performance on the field.

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

You make a good point. The original reason for the salary cap is obsolete. Why do they insist on keeping it now? The rules no longer protect owners from spending themselves into oblivion, and it doesn't even ensure parity even though I think that was just a side effect of the salary cap rather than the main reason. So why still have the cap? All it does is force teams to spend their money in a specific way, and that way is incredibly inefficient in terms of money spent for performance on the field.

I think its still to keep the rank and file players down, and the small purse teams can say, i'm spending all i can (6-7mil??), trade thier TAM and GAM money, and have low wage (in comparision) DP's.  ie San Jose...2DPS 1.3 and 800g, everyone else under 500g, total salary last year 7.7.  Houston was 5.6, Columbus 7.7, Van 7.9mil.  Impact 12.3, LAFC 14.6, Atlanta 10.5.  TFC had a 26.6mil total salary.  Any parity gained through this system is long gone.  Top dog pays 4-5 times the salary of low end clubs. 

BUT......................I know I am playing with fire and UT will no doubt slaughter me on this but I did a quick look at LaLiga.  Barca, and Real Madrid, both around 550mil US dollars, bottom of the table around 30mil US dollars.    Top pays about 17-18 times what the bottom club does in wages.  So I guess the disparity could be worse.  

• 4 weeks later...

Highlights of SKC's 5-0 loss to Monterrey below.

Note: It's 5 individual videos, one for each goal. And there is a 15 second add that plays in front of each one, so best to play them at the same time and pause until you are ready to watch rather than wait to press play after the previous one is done.

https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/article/cf-monterrey-v-sporting-kc-recap

• 2 weeks later...