How about a CPL club signing Landon Donovan for 1st season publicity?

I just thought of this idea on 1st season marquee signings and CPL might have Landon Donovan for publicity and to attract fans. It will be something similar to what Leon in Liga MX did, as in sign him to sell merch and get attention but not make him a starter or key player but still make him a super-sub or something along the line. And considering he's half Canadian and wiling to sell out to other countries besides the US, would this be something to consider?

This is just an outlandish suggestion, so no need to be angry at me for shit-posting because I'm not really serious. I realize a twice-retired player isn't adding much competitive value to any CPL side.

3 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

I just thought of this idea on 1st season marquee signings and CPL might have Landon Donovan for publicity and to attract fans. It will be something similar to what Leon in Liga MX did, as in sign him to sell merch and get attention but not make him a starter or key player but still make him a super-sub or something along the line. And considering he's half Canadian and wiling to sell out to other countries besides the US, would this be something to consider?

This is just an outlandish suggestion, so no need to be angry at me for shit-posting because I'm not really serious. I realize a twice-retired player isn't adding much competitive value to any CPL side.

I would actually love to see Landon in the league if he were willing to come.

24 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Also this could give people a chance to boo him for not choosing Canada and make him a villain. Imagine people chanting "Landy-cakes" at a match.

Only if he tags with Teal Bunbury and they play up to the crowd. 

Plus third times the charm for coming out of retirement! Think he is quite heavily involved in bringing San Diego an MLS club so its probably as likely bringing DeRo back, but twice as less likely to disappoint the fans watching. 

The name factor is a tough one with this league. I think any fan that has bought in to the league would be happier seeing money spent on a good age and experienced player with potential to grow than a "name" that will likely be underwhelming past the shirt sales. Attracting the neutrals and other normal people aside from ourselves is important though and that is the MLS way of doing it. Ultimately if you get those new potential fans into the game and they are underwhelmed then you lose them anyway. The product and game day experience first and foremost will keep fans coming.

I hope the league continues to be smart and savy with where and on whom they spend their money. 

Archived