Jump to content
Olympique_de_Marseille

Canada vs French Guiana Sunday March 24th 2019 in Vancouver

Recommended Posts

Edgar remains in the squad despite a total lack of continuity at club level. Vitoria and Straith remain uncapped in the Herdman era.

Tiebert and ZBG also questionable callups. Herdman sure has his pet projects. 

Not enough defensive cover on the squad. 

Happy to see Johnson back, glad he's still in the plans.  

Disappointed not to see Wotherspoon, Cordova, Akindele, Vitoria, Straith.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, king1010 said:

would there be room for davies hoillet david as well though? 

Of course it’s a 3-5-2 we’ll find a way. 

 

Could play Like this:

Cav-David

davies-Arfield-Hoilett

hutch Kaye

adekubge-Henry?-Godihno

Borjan

 

Holy **** this is hard, like Osorio, Ballou, Millar, Piette, Johnson and Teibert on the bench guys... with Cycle Larin... who would of ever imagined this. Swap Piette and Osorio in for say Kaye and Arfield and you still say good luck getting the ball FG...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I hope we go for the gusto, and put out a team to dominate the game/scoreline. 

Depending on what you mean, I may or may not agree.

I would rather us put out the sort of team we will use (both in terms of formation and personnel) when facing tougher competition rather than putting out some attacking juggernaut in an attempt to post a basketball score against weaker opponents.  Tough tests are coming, and given our lack of friendlies I want to see us use the competitive matches to  buy into a system (whatever Herdman's system is).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Edgar remains in the squad despite a total lack of continuity at club level. Vitoria and Straith remain uncapped in the Herdman era.

Tiebert and ZBG also questionable callups. Herdman sure has his pet projects. 

Not enough defensive cover on the squad. 

Happy to see Johnson back, glad he's still in the plans.  

Disappointed not to see Wotherspoon, Cordova, Akindele, Vitoria, Straith.  

 

We're very soon to forget that David Edgar was easily our first choice CB before his long term injury, and surely we don't want Doneil Henry to be the most veteran CB in the squad. It seems to me like they at least value Edgar's leadership and experience with the NT.

As for ZBG being questionable, he's looked good in the few times that we've seen him in the senior team. He's been in good developmental environments in Lyon and got some minutes already in the MLS, surely Cordova wouldn't be much of an upgrade if any. 

Teibert has been a complete spark plug for us the last few times he's come on, plus with it being in Vancouver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Edgar remains in the squad despite a total lack of continuity at club level. Vitoria and Straith remain uncapped in the Herdman era.

Tiebert and ZBG also questionable callups. Herdman sure has his pet projects. 

Not enough defensive cover on the squad. 

Happy to see Johnson back, glad he's still in the plans.  

Disappointed not to see Wotherspoon, Cordova, Akindele, Vitoria, Straith.  

 

 

Actually thought this might be the first lineup ever we were all happy with. Guess not lol. 

Akindele went down injured last match. Don't think hes fit for callup. 

Who would you replace for Wotherspoon? Teibert? 

Our defence is our weakest link so I could see some of those suggestions you made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pottsy3 said:

We're very soon to forget that David Edgar was easily our first choice CB before his long term injury, and surely we don't want Doneil Henry to be the most veteran CB in the squad. It seems to me like they at least value Edgar's leadership and experience with the NT.

As for ZBG being questionable, he's looked good in the few times that we've seen him in the senior team. He's been in good developmental environments in Lyon and got some minutes already in the MLS, surely Cordova wouldn't be much of an upgrade if any. 

Teibert has been a complete spark plug for us the last few times he's come on, plus with it being in Vancouver. 

I would have much preferred Straith or Hainault who are both playing regularly as opposed to Edgar who hasn't played in months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Would rather the MLS players left out for players in peak form and fitness where possible. Osorio has been piss poor for TFC and doesn't look anywhere near top fitness. Clearly he wasn't selected based on his current form.

Surely someone like Straith or Hainault would be more valuable at this point than Edgar considering the amount of football he has played recently?

 

**Looking forward to the full completion of Westhills Stadium. Hopefully it means we don't have to watch our National team on turf anymore

Edited by KW519

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Borjan

Godinho-cornelius-henry-davies

--------------------Hutch---------------

Hoilet--arfield----david---kaye

-------------cavalinni-------------

That's who I would start. I hate using Davies at lb but there's way too much talent up front and nothing in the back four. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Borjan

Godinho-cornelius-henry-davies

--------------------Hutch---------------

Hoilet--arfield----david---kaye

-------------cavalinni-------------

That's who I would start. I hate using Davies at lb but there's way too much talent up front and nothing in the back four. 

Davies at left back makes want to retreat into a closet and shivering in shock lol!

In a 3-5-2, Davies can be used as a winger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

Guyz! African countries are playing in the Concacaf League of Nations now!

*facepalm*

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/12/canada-name-march-squad-need-win-qualify-gold-cup 

Maybe they edited out the African reference as I don't see it, although in any case the first line of the article is incorrect. Canada doesn't need a win to qualify for either the Gold Cup or the League of Nations Group A. A single point is all that is needed to guarantee both as there are only 6 teams sitting on 9 points, and everyone else below them has 6 or less. So unless Concacaf starts awarding 4 points for a win, none of those other teams are going to catch us if we get to 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the squad selection, a bit surprised that Johnson is back but as he's playing regularly at the moment this is not a bad thing. That said my guess is that he, Piette and Teibert will start on the bench in terms of the midfielders. Rusty Teibert is just that - rusty from not having played any games yet this year. Also expect Cavallini will continue to get the start up front over Larin. I suspect we still might see Davies at left back for this game so that he, Hoillet and David can all start at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Maybe they edited out the African reference as I don't see it

I’m still seeing it. In reading the announcement, people who already knew we’re playing French Guiana come to the word “French” and then tend to read what they expect to see, which is “Guiana,” not “Guinea.” That’s what I did on my first read.

Edited by Grandbloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Edgar remains in the squad despite a total lack of continuity at club level. Vitoria and Straith remain uncapped in the Herdman era.

Tiebert and ZBG also questionable callups. Herdman sure has his pet projects. 

Not enough defensive cover on the squad. 

Happy to see Johnson back, glad he's still in the plans.  

Disappointed not to see Wotherspoon, Cordova, Akindele, Vitoria, Straith.  

 

I'm curious why ZBG is questionable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

I’m still seeing it. In reading the announcement, people who already knew we’re playing French Guiana come to the word “French” and then tend to read what they expect to see, which is “Guiana,” not “Guinea.” 

Ah, yes I see what you mean now. Combined with the erroneous first line and how little else the article says, it's a pretty shoddy effort all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'm curious why ZBG is questionable?

He's never had continuity in a first team environment.  If he were to win a starting spot with the Impact, then sure he's earned it. Cordova is coming off an injury so maybe that has something to do with this selection, but I doubt it. ZBG is a Herdman favourite, I hope he develops. Herdman was ahead of the Curve selecting David so I'll keep an open mind for now.

Godinho is hands down our starting RB, assuming we play with fullbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

He's never had continuity in a first team environment. Godinho is hands down our starting RB, assuming we play with fullbacks.

Can Godinho play left wingback? If he can, we could use a 3-5-2, with Davies and Godinho as the wingbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grandbloke said:

Can Godinho play left wingback? If he can, we could use a 3-5-2, with Davies and Godinho as the wingbacks.

He played the second half against Celtic a couple weeks ago at LB iirc. But even if he can, wouldn't you rather have Davies on the left and Godinho on the right to have them in their natural positions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Can Godinho play left wingback? If he can, we could use a 3-5-2, with Davies and Godinho as the wingbacks.

Yes he can, he’s played there on occasion this season and last!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

He played the second half against Celtic a couple weeks ago at LB iirc. But even if he can, wouldn't you rather have Davies on the left and Godinho on the right to have them in their natural positions?

Sorry, my mistake. I meant “right wingback.” Godinho on the right side, Davies on the left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...