Game Thread: Canada vs St Kitts & Nevis, Nov 18 (R)

rob.notenboom

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Mediocre performance

The Henry-Cornelius duo wont be good enough against stronger teams..bring in Hainault, Straith, James and try Hutchinson at cb, where he has experience and go with the best duo..could be Hutchinson directing the play with Straith beside him, a trio of Piette, Hoilett, Arfield in front of them with Davies and Wotherspoon on the wings and Cavallini at striker

Gotta be careful playing all these youngsters..most of them arent ready for do or die situations against strong teams

Not convincing at lb rb..spots to be won there between de jong,petrasso,cordova,adekugbe,brault..and why not even a strong usl player like dover or someone could emerge from cpl

I think Henry is better than James. I actually think him and Cornelius make a good pair. Henry is the hard tackling gets stuck in type, while Cornelius is more of a ball playing type. Both have enough pace.

I think Doneil gets himself in trouble when he goes into tackles in a rash manner. That said, I can't accuse him of doing that in this match and actually I can't remember the last time he cost us.

His game has really grown in Vancouver.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Against usl level competition its fine..against mls level its the same mistakes over and over as seen in vancouver..better solutions will be needed in those cases..but if he somehow is better with the national team than club just like some are weaker that would be fine also..time will tell

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Against usl level competition its fine..against mls level its the same mistakes over and over as seen in vancouver..better solutions will be needed in those cases..but if he somehow is better with the national team than club just like some are weaker that would be fine also..time will tell

By all accounts he was outstanding in USL, not just fine, but I would say he was just fine in MLS. I think that's more fair to say. He definitely wasn't amongst the best in the league or anything, but a deserved starter for sure.

I watched a lot of Vancouver this year and honestly, I didn't think Henry was too bad at all. There is definitely room for improvement, but in my opinion he was better for Vancouver this season than he ever was for Toronto, and the league has only gotten tougher, so from me it's a credit where it's due sort of thing.

On 11/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, Heepster said:

I'm not sure if it is a realistic option. I think, since the Argos left and part of the concrete floor was dug up for the Blue Jays new dirt infield,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/construction-begins-new-dirt-infield-rogers-centre-1.3442659 

it may have made using the stadium for football or soccer impractical. Even if the lower (100 level) stands can still be moved into that configuration, I would assume they no longer have an artificial turf field for that set-up, and I doubt anyone would be willing to pay millions of dollars for a new one that would likely only get used once or twice. 

The comments at the time were that it didn't preclude the use for soccer and Canadian football - it only made the change-over time longer, which precluded games during the baseball season. Has there been any indication that this has changed since then?

Covering up the infield doesn't seem to stop them playing soccer games at Yankee Stadium!

On 11/26/2018 at 5:13 PM, nfitz said:

The comments at the time were that it didn't preclude the use for soccer and Canadian football - it only made the change-over time longer, which precluded games during the baseball season. Has there been any indication that this has changed since then?

The CBC article has a Rogers Centre guy saying "we are not going to play football anymore in the stadium". I assume, at least during the baseball off-season from November through March, they can put plating over the baseball infield areas of the floor and maybe move the lower level stands into the rectangular configuration. But then they would be faced with the question of what to do for a playing surface. The last time a temporary grass one was used in November (a few years back for a Brazil/Chile match), it tore up in pizza box-sized pieces. As I said above, it's likely that the only artificial turf playing surface now at Rogers Centre is for baseball, with those very large gaps for the new larger dirt infield, with no easy (or cheap enough) way to turn it into something that would be acceptable for a one-off TFC or CMNT match. 

I think I remember reading somewhere else more recently that someone from TFC (maybe Manning?) ruled out any chance of using Rogers Centre when asked about it.

Archived