Game Thread: Canada vs St Kitts & Nevis, Nov 18 (R)

rob.notenboom

10 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Hasn't he scored more for the national team than any active player besides Ricketts, and as many in competitive matches as Ricketts?

I guess, but Cav and David have goals per game ratios. Besides that would suggest bringing tos over tabla, millar and wotherspoon which is crazy 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Honest question: what has Larin done to ever warrant a Canada call up? Not by his club play, but his play with GE CMNT.

13 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Hasn't he scored more for the national team than any active player besides Ricketts, and as many in competitive matches as Ricketts?

Not going to disagree with his current form for club but I would bet that at 43 MLS goals in 87 MLS games would likely put him as the 2nd highest scoring Canadian in MLS history.  Also if you take away the two most capped players on this current Canada squad (Hutchinson & Edgar) - The goals are broken up as follows: Larin 8 goals - Remaining 20 Canadian players combined 16. 

A bit harsh to question why he's ever warranted a call up.

7 minutes ago, badname22 said:

I guess, but Cav and David have goals per game ratios. Besides that would suggest bringing tos over tabla, millar and wotherspoon which is crazy 

David looks great but he has only played against St Kitts, Dominica & US Virgin Islands.

Pretty much guaranteed to qualify for Gold Cup, a win or probably even a draw gets them into the A division.

Taking 1st place is likely a lock with a +4 win at home vs French Guiana. The competition for 1st Cuba and Haiti actually play each other. Haiti is +2 on Canada, can definitely catch them. A draw or loss to Cuba even is conceivable. 

Was really hoping that since the next game is at home that scheduling a 2nd friendly would be a possibility. be nice to see more of the guys being called in to camp but not getting minutes. But the FG match is scheduled for March 26th, the FIFA window closes that same day. So again will be a 1 game window unless they're crazy enough to schedule a friendly before the key game.

Delighted for Teibert he has had a good season especially at the end and good to see him bringing that form to the national level. 

Not convinced at all by Cornelius and having Davies next to him probably didn't help.

Cavallini was an animal. Shame we couldn't give him decent enough service. 

It was expected to be a tougher game, probably shouldn't have been that tough but the 3 points is huge. Almost certainly through to the gold cup and a win in March against French Guiana and we are in the top group. 

Not pretty but job done. Question now for me is wherever we have a January camp and game. I hope so. 

Im gonna so miss watching Davies up close at BC Place. There is just something about this kid. I put nothing past him. As far as the team performance.  Happy for Teibert.. we missed Arfield up the middle. Hoping for more gpals but completely dominant from start to finish so whatever. With the game in March im hoping they go in doors at BC Place. Or throw a CPL market a bone.. will Victoria be ready?

7 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

Herdman just said in the post match interview the French Guiana game will be played in Vancouver, will be nice to see the men’s team play back in the west!

Interesting considering he confirmed it was at BMO after the last game. Wonder what occurred there. The toronto crowd was a bit embarrassing (albeit against other things happening) in comparison to Vancouvers crowds in recent years.

A smart marketing move with it being alphonso's first return to Vancouver. 

5 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

Herdman just said in the post match interview the French Guiana game will be played in Vancouver, will be nice to see the men’s team play back in the west!

Wut. Really? 

I'll be in Vancouver so.... good thing (for me)

For all of the talk about Canada not having any defenders and being all offense from now on, I thought collectively the defenders were the best unit. Atiba was MOTM and not just for the goal. Teibert & Piette worked hard but they overhit way too many passes, and Teibert was particularly frustrating in the final third with his passes (yes, I know he hit the cross for the goal, but he had about half an hour to make that cross, any time he had to make a pass or cross quickly it was overhit or played in a stupid area, often behind our attackers or in the opposite direction they were heading). I don't really like having 3 defensive midfielders in the middle of the park together against a team like St. Kitts - I assumed Atiba would play further up and Piette would be at the bottom of the triangle but instead it was Atiba. The trio was good defensively though, as one might expect. Davies I think was somewhat wasted at left back, eventually he's got to be pushed up.

Anyway, its difficult to take too much from these games, other than I think it demonstrates that more games and more teamwork is still needed. It was an improvement vs. 2011 and we got the win. We are now in 2nd place (tied with Cuba but again we have a massive advantage on the first applicable tie-breaker after goal differential, which is apparently road goals - we lead them 9-2). Curacao still has to play but they are playing against Guadeloupe, which won't necessarily be an easy win for them. If they win though, they go up to 2nd. I think we pretty much have qualified for the Gold Cup now (unless we lose the final game at home 6-0 or something like that) but Group A for LoN isn't quite certain yet. Martinique can also join us on 9 points after 3 games if they beat Antigua and Barbuda.

Of the teams on 6 points after 3 games, Bermuda & Dominican Republic have to play each other. El Salvador plays at home to Jamaica, so if they beat them to get to 9 points they would have to pound them mercilessly in order to likely match our goal differential (unless, as I say, we also conspire to get blown out at home in March to French Guiana) which would mean that we'd still be ahead of Jamaica. Monsterrat has 6 points (who saw that coming?) but are only plus 2 although who knows, maybe they could destroy the Cayman Islands.

We have an advantage in that we play on the final match day in March, so we will know exactly what we'll need to do to either win the whole bloody thing or at least qualify for Group A.

6 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

Probably because, well, March.  In Ontario.  With a new field trying to seed itself.  Not complaining.  Will definitely round up another gang to take the ferry over for this one.

I don't think Teibert was convincing outside of the cross for the goal.. his other crosses are skied and easy to defend.  

What has Cornelius done to earn a start in a match like this?  That needs to be evaluated, especially if his club situation isn't sorted out by March.  We have a lot of central defenders in the pool that Herdman hasn't taken a look at.  

22 minutes ago, shorty said:

Probably because, well, March.  In Ontario.  With a new field trying to seed itself.  Not complaining.  Will definitely round up another gang to take the ferry over for this one.

That's what I'm thinking as well. The BMO crew had a rough one this past year so with TFC in Chanpions legue once again want to limit the cold weather field thrashings. Good for Vancouver but the indoor games means we lose the cld-weather advantage.

9 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I don't think Teibert was convincing outside of the cross for the goal.. his other crosses are skied and easy to defend.  

What has Cornelius done to earn a start in a match like this?  That needs to be evaluated, especially if his club situation isn't sorted out by March.  We have a lot of central defenders in the pool that Herdman hasn't taken a look at.  

Its hard to evaluate Cornelius, I guess he hasn't embarrassed himself, played solid same as Henry but the attacking competition of course has been poor.

Obviously having a starting CB as a bench player in Serbian 2nd Div (actually he doesn't seem to be even making the bench??) isnt a good look for a nation aiming for WC. Hope the exposure brings some interset from other more prestigious leagues.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Wut. Really? 

I'll be in Vancouver so.... good thing (for me)

Yes it was funny the put out a 4:26 second post video with him saying it was in Vancouver then it was taken down, and put back up as a 3:01 minute video with that part taken out!

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I thought Teibert played well, and he's my MoM. He used his high intensity motor, and not just running around like a headless chicken. There were countless times his hustle led to turnovers from the other side - sometimes directly in that he'd track back and win the ball himself but other times he forced quick and errand passes. Not all his crosses were good, but he did the little things well which I sometimes miss in his game. Best I've seen him play in a long time.

2 hours ago, Strait Red said:

A win is a win, take the 3 points

Larin is so frustrating to watch, his “give a shi- level” is at 0 sometimes.

nice to see Atiba get one.

To be honest, I thought Larin was a team player. His role when he came on was more than to score. He took a few fouls that were clearly in the best interest of the team.

4 hours ago, Corazon said:

Not going to disagree with his current form for club but I would bet that at 43 MLS goals in 87 MLS games would likely put him as the 2nd highest scoring Canadian in MLS history.  Also if you take away the two most capped players on this current Canada squad (Hutchinson & Edgar) - The goals are broken up as follows: Larin 8 goals - Remaining 20 Canadian players combined 16. 

A bit harsh to question why he's ever warranted a call up.

Scoring in MLS doesn't mean anything since the quality of play isn't international level. Maybe Larin is a cautionary tale about how terrible MLS really is at developing competent players and in the future any Canadian NT players should stay away from that league.

2 hours ago, Daryn27 said:

Yes it was funny the put out a 4:26 second post video with him saying it was in Vancouver then it was taken down, and put back up as a 3:01 minute video with that part taken out!

Pretty much confirms that they monitor the forums and don’t want anyone to know until the official announcement 

Archived