Game Thread: Canada vs St Kitts & Nevis, Nov 18 (R)

rob.notenboom

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what? I'll take that. We may not have played well, but 3 points are 3 points.

The substitutions made sense until Larin for Cavallini, but we got away with that one. Our young team needed to experience a tough, scrappy win. Not every game is going to be easy for them; this'll leave them better off for tougher matches against better-quality sides.

Well, not  an amazing game by any stretch, but not the banana Peel that we have slipped on before.

- more chances in the 2nd half, but they also had more counters.  

- Davies has to eliminate the silly mistakes from his game, but had a couple of our best chances.  He Ned's to be atacking.

- Hutch picked a helluva time to grab a rare goal.  Bravo.

- some positives and negatives for Tabla. 

- it may be bias at this point, but Larin continues to seem mediocre.  Having said that, we were attacking better when he was on the field, so I may be unfair to him.

No question that getting 3 points is the most important, but that performance was not nearly good enough. If we were playing better opposition we would not have gotten away with playing that poorly. I have been waiting before making judgements on Herdman, so going forward I feel his reaction to this game will be quite telling. 

How will Herdman use what has happened to improve us going forward? Lessons need to be learned from a tactical/position/game management standpoint. 

Solid job by our back line. Tiebert has a good game playing out of position. Davies obviously was far better going forward in this gamethan tabla, but doesn’t seem to have any chemistry with Tabla. Canada came to life with David and Davies playing together: The future of our front 3 along with Millar.

The whole team was frustrating for most of the night, poor movement, indecision, etc... however, they won the game. I am ok with them making mistakes as long as they get the result and learn from it. It was an extraordinarily young team, so it is understandable that they struggled.

Teibert MOTM. David was better than Tabla. I don't think Larin deserves the abuse. A fit Henry, that plays simply, is key for this squad.

We have several capable left backs; Davies may end up as one later in his career, but on this squad against this team he should be further up the pitch.

Happy with the result and the fact that we are almost certainly going to the Gold Cup next year. Less pleased with the play, which seems to be the feeling of everyone. Teibert stood out, but despite his performance Osorio and Arfield were missed. Out attacking midfield felt like what it was... D-mids playing attacking mid. 

Davies also stood out. Alphonso made some mistakes but man... when he was on he was on. The dangle at the end of the game was awesome to see.

Backline remain silently steady. They weren't flashy but I felt they did what they needed to. I would like to get some real fullbacks. I'm curious what ends up happening between now and the Nations League. 

Attack should have done better. Maybe not enough midfield service on account of missing the guys I mentioned earlier. But I don't think so. Larin alone had two chances he should have absolutely finished. Davies had another I believe. Just need to bury the chances we are given.

We missed some chances, 2 of our great young hopes in Davies and Tabla played a little sloppy, our attack stalls without Arfield and Osorio in the middle.  Just goes to show that potential is potential, love these kids but they have a lot to learn about how to win in CONCACAF.  Saved by Hutch and Teibert, thought Henry had a pretty solid game at the back too.  Still don't think you can tell much from these games, other than that until  Canada finds a true centre-midfield maestro, we will struggle to score when the opposition packs the box.

23 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Honest question: what has Larin done to ever warrant a Canada call up? Not by his club play, but his play with GE CMNT.

Hasn't he scored more for the national team than any active player besides Ricketts, and as many in competitive matches as Ricketts?

Archived