Daniel Gogarty

Tuscan

9 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

potential CMNT? Come on 22 yo, no youth caps listed as 140lbs CB ... this is pointless. The threads tracking 4th division German league players have more purpose even though they are also a waste of time. 

The only thing concerning there is the weight... we regularly debut players at older than 22 and always get players who never featured for our youth team(s). 

11 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

potential CMNT? Come on 22 yo, no youth caps listed as 140lbs CB ... this is pointless. The threads tracking 4th division German league players have more purpose even though they are also a waste of time. 

You're allowed your opinions but don't tell people starting threads on Canadian players is a waste of time.

At 21 Simeon Jackson was playing in a non-football league team and he went on to play in the premiere league. Stranger things have happened and I'd rather see people encouraged to track each and every one of them then make some arbitrary line of who is and who isn't worthy of our attention.

I agree that it's fair enough to have a thread about any Canadian player. But I can't wait until we get to a point where signing your first pro contract, or in this case getting drafted by a team to get a shot at getting a developmental contract, isn't enough to speculate about when he'll get a call to the national team.

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

CPL exists because we have a massive amount of undiscovered and overlooked talent. CPL will unearth diamonds, even in year 1. 

The CMNT will be within reach of any player that stands out in the CPL. And 22 is not too old, Canadian players are notorious late bloomers.

And a lot of good most of these late bloomers have done...

6 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

CPL exists because we have a massive amount of undiscovered and overlooked talent. CPL will unearth diamonds, even in year 1. 

The CMNT will be within reach of any player that stands out in the CPL. And 22 is not too old, Canadian players are notorious late bloomers.

I totally agree with this. Personally I just prefer watching some games and seeing who rises to the top to start talking about CMNT call ups. Right now I think most of us haven’t watched these players, so we can’t even differentiate any/most of the 21 players that were drafted this week, let alone the players that haven’t been announced as signing with CPL teams yet.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

I agree that it's fair enough to have a thread about any Canadian player. But I can't wait until we get to a point where signing your first pro contract, or in this case getting drafted by a team to get a shot at getting a developmental contract, isn't enough to speculate about when he'll get a call to the national team.

I like the"Players" thread and I think it is under-utilized. 

12 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

You're allowed your opinions but don't tell people starting threads on Canadian players is a waste of time.

At 21 Simeon Jackson was playing in a non-football league team and he went on to play in the premiere league. Stranger things have happened and I'd rather see people encouraged to track each and every one of them then make some arbitrary line of who is and who isn't worthy of our attention.

12 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Check Jackson's wiki page, he was on Canada's radar as an under 20 with 7 caps. Got his first games in League 2 England as a 17 year old then continued to improve. 

Sure he dropped down to Conference league at 19 and 20 yo but was scoring like crazy there, I'm sure the standards exceed Canadian College by miles.

At 22 he was the top scorer in league 2. 

So there was a some real accomplishment to back the idea this was a player worth tracking.

Needs to be a reasonable threshold for a dedicated thread, maybe professional contract? This CPL draft is only a 3 month opportunity to join a CPL club. 

2 hours ago, KMB said:

Glad we follow these players, but I don't think there is any chance at the national team.  Hope he does well in CPL and hope the league itself is a big success, but we need better quality for our men's team than this.

the long term plan is for CPL to eventually become a contributor to the CMNT player pool. However we need to be realistic in that during the first few seasons the average level of play and quality of the league will not be enough such that it's players are cut out for international call ups.

9 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Why single out this player with a dedicated thread? Gabriel Bitar was the 1st overall pick there's no thread for him. These draft picks are basically 3 month unpaid internships. If any of these players at 20+ years of age had a big future they wouldn't be featuring in Canadian Universities. 

Its crazy when I click around on the wiki pages of Euro clubs there's sometimes a young American player on their roster that is no where near their national team. Then here we are appointing a 22 year old unpaid intern to a CPL team as a future CMNT player? That's a very low standard. Will everyone that signs with a CPL club get their own thread?

33 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

Why single out this player with a dedicated thread? Gabriel Bitar was the 1st overall pick there's no thread for him. These draft picks are basically 3 month unpaid internships. If any of these players at 20+ years of age had a big future they wouldn't be featuring in Canadian Universities. 

Its crazy when I click around on the wiki pages of Euro clubs there's sometimes a young American player on their roster that is no where near their national team. Then here we are appointing a 22 year old unpaid intern to a CPL team as a future CMNT player? That's a very low standard. Will everyone that signs with a CPL club get their own thread?

it's weird you keep opening threads about players you don't care about. The beauty of a message board is there is noone forcing you to open the threads you have no interest in.

if it bothers you that someone wants to talk about this player just don't open up this thread. 

all i'm saying is don't say that other people shouldn't.

6 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

Not getting into the debate about when a thread is justified, but no one is "appointing a 22 year old unpaid intern to a CPL team as a future CMNT player".  It was a question about potential posed by the OP to anyone who might know about this guy.

Guys like Ryan Telfer and Raheem Edwards have gone from CIS level(Sheridan would bully most CIS teams) to starting XI for TFC in a short amount of time...what's with the snobby remarks regarding his age and current level? 6 years down the line he could be a top top CB with development in a pro environment, maybe he makes a drastic leap his first season, maybe he flops, but none of us know what his future has in store, so STOP expressing your opinions and thoughts as facts you contradicting haters.

Good luck with your career Daniel and all other Canadians that had their name selected at the draft. This is a huge step in the right direction to justify the countless hours you've put in on the training pitch.

10 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

Dylan Carreiro is a full pro, Emmanuel Zambazis is also a full pro with Canadian youth caps, and somehow they're at Canadian universities?. Bring that same energy when the first CPL player earns a call to the CMNT.

11 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

Why single out this player with a dedicated thread? Gabriel Bitar was the 1st overall pick there's no thread for him.

10 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

it's weird you keep opening threads about players you don't care about. The beauty of a message board is there is noone forcing you to open the threads you have no interest in.

if it bothers you that someone wants to talk about this player just don't open up this thread. 

all i'm saying is don't say that other people shouldn't.

So, how about putting these guys in the "Players" section of the forum?  Then when they get their first senior cap (or whatever criteria the powers that be here want to use), then shift their thread to the CMNT section. 

Archived