CPL USports Draft Results

masster

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Rumour is he has offers back in Germany he's contemplating.  So may have scared teams off of taking him.

Crazy.. he’s what 4/5 tier level there?  Why wouldn’t he play CPL and retain his university eligibility?  Seems like a no brainer for a 25 year old.

My take on the Canadian Premier League draft of U-Sports players and their 'acquisition' of League 1 Ontario.  

The sudden change from avoiding mentioning that six players chosen played in L1O (including the top four picks) to 'acquiring' the L1O and suddenly bragging about all the L1O players who have made their way to MLS is most interesting.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york03.htm

10 hours ago, Keegan said:

Crazy.. he’s what 4/5 tier level there?  Why wouldn’t he play CPL and retain his university eligibility?  Seems like a no brainer for a 25 year old.

I may have misunderstood, but I think part of it was that his circumstance wouldn't allow him to maintain his university eligibility while playing in the CPL.  But the university eligibility rules are convoluted so I'm not sure on that.  Further, I have no clue what club level he has interest from.

At the same time, this is one of the things the CPL is fighting against: Europe is still the goal, and if a player has a chance (however remote) there's certainly a lot of players who will take it.  That's not a knock on the CPL, just the reality.

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did anyone see if any of the players celebrated their drafting, like on a Twitter or Instagram post? Just curious to know whether they care at all, if this is exciting or not for them?

I saw a couple tweets and videos of them getting called about their selection. All sounded very excited, "best day of my life", etc

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did anyone see if any of the players celebrated their drafting, like on a Twitter or Instagram post? Just curious to know whether they care at all, if this is exciting or not for them?

Peter Schaale's been retweeting this draft announcements and giving a little thanks on Twitter. Not sure if the other Wanderers selections have a twitter presence.

The reason teams were picking non-Canadians is because ALL U Sports players count as Canadians as long as they retain their U Sports eligibility.

So Peter Schaale, despite being German, will count as a Canadian on the Wanderers roster. Andre Bona, however, may not, since he was in his 5th year with U Sports, and is probably graduating.

9 hours ago, garmc said:

The reason teams were picking non-Canadians is because ALL U Sports players count as Canadians as long as they retain their U Sports eligibility.

Not that I doubt you, but where did you read this? It makes sense from a roster building standpoint but I would worry if there were issues down the line from fuzzy domestic lines

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Not that I doubt you, but where did you read this? It makes sense from a roster building standpoint but I would worry if there were issues down the line from fuzzy domestic lines

From this article: http://aftn.ca/canadian-mens-national-team-head-coach-john-herdman-feels-first-ever-cpl-u-sports-draft-connecting-our-country-in-ways-that-weve-never-done-before/

"It won’t just be the Canadian players that are eligible to be drafted. Nationality will not matter and all players that remain in the college system will be classed as domestics until they graduate."

On 11/16/2018 at 8:57 AM, shamrock said:

This guy Andre Bona is 28. The fact that they picked him, probably means they will sign him to a normal contract (since he's out of college). Never thought it was possible to go pro at 28 (in any sport let alone football).

RICK TITUS (an inside joke for those who were around for the old network54 board) would be a previous example of finally getting a fully pro contract fairly late in the day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Titus_(soccer)

Think it's nothing hugely out of the ordinary for players to do that in countries where there is a strong semi-pro soccer culture alongside the fully pro teams and we lost that (in southern Ontario terms anyway) when the old NSL faded badly in the 1980s (due to changing immigration patterns and competition with the original CSL) and then folded in the 1990s (after Toronto Italia fell out with Toronto Croatia).

On 11/13/2018 at 9:30 PM, Copes said:

This is what stood out to me. I play in the Intermediate Mens League with a keeper from CBU these past few years. He's deadly, don't get me wrong, but he joked to me the other day that CBU must have improved in the decade since he was boozing there. Haha. 

I convinced him to get HFX tickets with me. I'm pumped to see a CBU player go to them first. Curious about the Goalkeeper in the third round as well - Hart knows him and respects him, but I wonder if that respect clouded judgement at all. Also interesting that Hart did exactly what he said he would, focus on his defense. He talked about this in the videos leading up to the draft.

The pool of GK’s in Nova Scotia is actually surprisingly deep. It’s near impossible to make of it out of the “fish bowl” that is Atlantic Canada so full credit to Andrew McRae (formerly Fury) and Ben Ur (Israel D2) for giving it a go abroad. Take it for what it’s worth but I’m fully confident Cristian Oxner is one of the best GK prospects in the country. Don’t be fooled by his university stats, he lead his club team to a senior men’s national championship and he’s stuck in a rebuilding project at SMU. He’s a modern GK who can spray the ball with both feet, come off his line, and he’s a quality shot stopper. All things I think Steve Hart values in an offensive system. He’s in his early 20’s so it’s the perfect time to get him into a professional environment. 

As for the two forementioned keepers, McRae is a big body and a presence but I would rank him behind Ben Ur and Oxner. Ben Ur is on a different level and it’s a shame that he never got a look with the youth national teams. So pumped that there is now a professional club in Atlantic Canada where top prospects have a chance at making it as professionals.

Edited by FC_Hali

15 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

The pool of GK’s in Nova Scotia is actually surprisingly deep. It’s near impossible to make of it out of the “fish bowl” that is Atlantic Canada so full credit to Andrew McRae (formerly Fury) and Ben Ur (Israel D2) for giving it a go abroad. Take it for what it’s worth but I’m fully confident Cristian Oxner is one of the best GK prospects in the country. Don’t be fooled by his university stats, he lead his club team to a senior men’s national championship and he’s stuck in a rebuilding project at SMU. He’s a modern GK who can spray the ball with both feet, come off his line, and he’s a quality shot stopper. All things I think Steve Hart values in an offensive system. He’s in his early 20’s so it’s the perfect time to get him into a professional environment. 

As for the two forementioned keepers, McRae is a big body and a presence but I would rank him behind Ben Ur and Oxner. Ben Ur is on a different level and it’s a shame that he never got a look with the youth national teams. So pumped that there is now a professional club in Atlantic Canada where top prospects have a chance at making it as professionals.

I think all the aforementioned names are good prospects.... in Atlantic Canada. But to say Oxner is one of the best in Canada is rather bold.

Yes, Oxner has shown promise (at the U Sports level) but so has latest 15 others ahead of him in professional and university settings. He played on a poor St. Mary's team where he obviously stood out as the players in front of him were struggling for a playoff spot each season. Also, he had a incredibly brief training stint with TFC. One would think being that being one of the best in the country would have seen that turn into something? 

McRae was average at Acadia and never made an official start for Ottawa. Last I heard he was playing on a lower team in Northern Ireland's second division. 

Ur would be the best of the bunch. However, he has been limited to the lower leagues of Israel and one PDL season while in college. From recollection he probably had one of the biggest kicks I've ever seen. I remember him scoring off a free kick from about 60 yards. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Will CPL think of including College Players to the draft. It cant be assumed the best Post Secondary soccer players all attend University. Great players play on College teams. Would like to see College National Champions vs the University National Champions. Would that be something that either Post Secondary Sports  Associations entertain. 

2 hours ago, mmd said:

Will CPL think of including College Players to the draft. It cant be assumed the best Post Secondary soccer players all attend University. Great players play on College teams. Would like to see College National Champions vs the University National Champions. Would that be something that either Post Secondary Sports  Associations entertain. 

2 hours ago, mmd said:

I still think one of the best post secondary soccer programs University or College in Canada is Humber College of Toronto who won the 2018 College National Championships. Humber College has won 5  Canadian College National Championships in the past 7 years .  Really not much of a difference between College soccer in Canada and University soccer. If Humber played in U Sports I still think they would be a powerhouse. Would love to see   Humber the 2018 College National Champions versus the 2018 U Sport National Champions . I would make Humber the favourites  in a game like that .

Edited by 1996

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

I still think one of the best post secondary soccer programs University or College in Canada is Humber College of Toronto who won the 2018 College National Championships. Humber College has won 5  Canadian College National Championships in the past 7 years .  Really not much of a difference between College soccer in Canada and University soccer. If Humber played in U Sports I still think they would be a powerhouse. Would love to see   Humber the 2018 College National Champions versus the 2018 U Sport National Champions . I would make Humber the favourites  in a game like that .

Hence why CPL should include Colleges. I looked up both soccer associations and they have pretty much the same amount of teams coast to coast at 42 College teams and 41 University teams. We always hear that Canada does not have the talent pool. If each team carrys a roster of 24 that would be a pool of over 2000 players between the 2 Associations. This country has a strong base to build from. And I didnt even include the Canadian division 3 teams across Canada.

4 hours ago, mmd said:

Or even if CPL organized a combine of best University prospects vs best College prospects. That'd be a fun game to watch - with genuine pride at stake. 

16 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Or even if CPL organized a combine of best University prospects vs best College prospects. That'd be a fun game to watch - with genuine pride at stake. 

These are the type of ideas CPL should incorporate, College Allstars vs University Allstars.

I think U.S college football does something similar...West Allstars vs East Allstars. And if I understand the format it's for the senior graduating players.

• 6 months later...