CPL - Playoffs

I can't remember if this was brought up before, but Chris from the Toronto CPL group discovered this little detail in the Winnipeg price plan:

"Playoffs included". Now I am not sure if they're simply calling Voyageurs Cup playoffs, but this seems to suggest a strong possibility of playoffs being part of the league. It would help explain the '15 games' included (12 regular season, 1 voy cup, 1 playoff, 1 friendly <confirmed by York9>). Seems strange though that including it might mean all teams qualify ... though maybe the regular season champ gets a bye?

I have a feeling that while the CPL is in expansion mode, they'll have East and West Conferences, adding clubs to whichever conference they best fit. Each Conference will play home and away matches against the opposing Conference, and divide the rest of the games evenly within their home Conference. I could see a 26-game season (which would work for up to a 14-team league) with a short playoff between the top two teams in each conference and then the final between the Conference winners.

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

I have a feeling that while the CPL is in expansion mode, they'll have East and West Conferences, adding clubs to whichever conference they best fit. Each Conference will play home and away matches against the opposing Conference, and divide the rest of the games evenly within their home Conference. I could see a 26-game season (which would work for up to a 14-team league) with a short playoff between the top two teams in each conference and then the final between the Conference winners.

Possibly but surely not with 7 teams, I can't see a 3 team Eastern Conference!

Didn't they rule playoff's out? I feel like this is deja-vu. Don't see any direct quotes but Walking the red mention it in a couple of articles. 

https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/2/15/17018216/canadian-premier-league-what-weve-learned-recently-david-clanachan-canada-soccer

'Clanachan revealed that there will be an April to October season with no playoffs.'

Plans may have changed when we went down to 7 teams though? With this few teams its seems weird to do a league and playoffs just to add extra games. I'd rather see some friendlies with teams outside the league organized tbh. I think we will be done watching those teams play each other four times, unless half of those games are the playoffs but then its almost pointless having a league. 

On 10/31/2018 at 6:24 PM, Ams1984 said:

Maybe they meant the Voyageurs Cup?

I don't think they meant the Voyageurs Cup.

With 8 teams, you have an obvious 28 game balanced schedule (and 1 pre-season game in the ST). No play-offs required.

Once you have committed to a 28 game regular season, 7 teams presents a problem.

Edit: With 7 teams they could do 5 × 6. It would add two match days to the published 28 game schedule and is at least balanced in terms of opponent, although of course not in terms of home/away. Unfortunately all the byes mean it would take more than 30 match days total to complete.

Archived