Saint Kitts & Nevis vs Canada - Sunday November 18th

6 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

Should we be expecting more than a 3-0 score line from this game? Or more I personally think with the squad we called in even with it being away we should expect the same score line as the Dominica game 5-0 should be the goal at minimum.

3-0 for who??

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is interesting that they are spending the entire week in St kitts. I’ll be interested to see if this happens against the likes of Honduras, Panama etc. Obviously it is to acclimatize to heat and conditions. I wonder if the players have been asking for this to help them get ready. Training in Florida isn’t quite like training in El Salvador 

1 hour ago, Daryn27 said:

Should we be expecting more than a 3-0 score line from this game? Or more I personally think with the squad we called in even with it being away we should expect the same score line as the Dominica game 5-0 should be the goal at minimum.

A win (any win) is priority #1.  5-0, 8-0 or even 2-1.

Last time we played them away we ended up with a 0-0 draw. Give me any win please. I don’t care about a blowout in this one or the French Guiana game. The previous games I wanted records to fall, but these upcoming games are not sure things.

I get the feeling this will be our toughest game in CNL so far... St Kitts are doing things well so far, undefeated like us, and they certainly will not want to drop any points if they can help it. I am looking forward to it to be honest, finally seeing another team not bunker in and trying to take the game to us. Regardless of the margin, any win will be good for us here.

2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I expect a 3-0 Win, they are stronger than USVI (8-0) & Dominica (5-0) so hence why I predict this scoreline 

Anyone making the trip to Basseterre?

Any long time Voyageur/CMNT supporter here should well know to not overlook our rival. Lets not forget the reason why we are currently playing these CNL games to begin with. We are going into their home to try and take points away from them. I very much doubt they will make it as easy for us as Dominica and US Virgin Islands did. St Kitts have been doing things well so far in CNL, and actually have a team filled with pro players (regardless of which leagues they play in). Playing away games in CONCACAF is always tricky, regardless of the opponent, as teams in the Caribbean/Central America are very adept at using their home field advantage to level the playing field. 

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

I get the feeling this will be our toughest game in CNL so far... St Kitts are doing things well so far, undefeated like us, and they certainly will not want to drop any points if they can help it. I am looking forward to it to be honest, finally seeing another team not bunker in and trying to take the game to us. Regardless of the margin, any win will be good for us here.

Toughest game yet, sure. But we should still beat them easily. And I'm afraid they will bunker, 'cause that's the only chance they have. They don't have the power upfront like we do, nor the D against it. It's going to be harder, but still Canada will prevail: 0-3. 

At the risk of being melodramatic, I think anything but a solid win will be a major stumbling block for us.  Not to say that we will fill the net, but this has to be a game that we control and win without ever really doubting it. 

We can talk about improved squad depth and player quality all we want, but if we can't go into a place like St Kitts and get a reasonably comfortable win, it will cast doubt on the idea that we have turned any kind of corner.  They may be playing well, but they are still just one step away from being a CONCACAF minnow.  @Kent's math from the U20 thread still applies here - we are a country that should be pretty much certain of a win against opponents like this.  If we can't, we simply don't deserve to be in the top tier of the Nation's League.

There's no doubt we're expected to win, but some of you guys are underestimating them. They don't need top-level attacking players when their whole game plan is to get in behind us on the counter attack, and if they stay disciplined there's no question they could cause us problems, especially with home-field advantage. They have good players and this is their biggest game in qualifying, so we can't assume they'll make it easy for us.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

At the risk of being melodramatic, I think anything but a solid win will be a major stumbling block for us.  Not to say that we will fill the net, but this has to be a game that we control and win without ever really doubting it. 

We can talk about improved squad depth and player quality all we want, but if we can't go into a place like St Kitts and get a reasonably comfortable win, it will cast doubt on the idea that we have turned any kind of corner.  They may be playing well, but they are still just one step away from being a CONCACAF minnow.  @Kent's math from the U20 thread still applies here - we are a country that should be pretty much certain of a win against opponents like this.  If we can't, we simply don't deserve to be in the top tier of the Nation's League.

I assume you are referring to this? "I still can't get over the St. Kitts loss, so I put it in perspective. According to Wikipedia from the years 99-01 there was 2505 births in St. Kitts and Nevis. Assuming half of them were girls that leaves 1253. They had 20 players on their roster. So 1 out of approximately every 62 people born those years was on this team. Mind-boggiling how we can lose. My high school was bigger than that."

I can't take credit for that. That was actually @Stryker911

We should win obviously, but there are a ton of factors that could trip up our young squad.  Remember we only beat Dominica 2-0 away and 4-0 at home in 2015 and in 2018 we proved last month that we aren’t monumentally better than that.

Id like a 2 goal win away, I just hope the squad knows this is a step up from the past 2 months.  

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

I assume you are referring to this? "I still can't get over the St. Kitts loss, so I put it in perspective. According to Wikipedia from the years 99-01 there was 2505 births in St. Kitts and Nevis. Assuming half of them were girls that leaves 1253. They had 20 players on their roster. So 1 out of approximately every 62 people born those years was on this team. Mind-boggiling how we can lose. My high school was bigger than that."

I can't take credit for that. That was actually @Stryker911

Ah, sorry to @Stryker911.  I was just going by memory and thought it was you that did the initial math. 

I'm going to cautiously predict a 2-0 win for us.

I don't see us conceding with Borjan back in goal, knock on wood...

I do see us struggling to break them down however. I expect a couple of long, nervous stretches of us up 1-0, with them absorbing and hitting us on the counter attack.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'm going to cautiously predict a 2-0 win for us.

I don't see us conceding with Borjan back in goal, knock on wood...

I do see us struggling to break them down however. I expect a couple of long, nervous stretches of us up 1-0, with them absorbing and hitting us on the counter attack.

This is roughly what I am expecting as well.  2-0 or maybe 3-0 - and I would definitely be content with this sort of result.  Would be great to get a 2 goal lead early enough that we never really feel like the result is in danger, but we do sometimes have the capacity to underwhelm.

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is roughly what I am expecting as well.  2-0 or maybe 3-0 - and I would definitely be content with this sort of result.  Would be great to get a 2 goal lead early enough that we never really feel like the result is in danger, but we do sometimes have the capacity to underwhelm.

They are at home and haven't conceded yet as far as I know, so I expect they'll be very organized and thus I think the chances of us jumping out to an early two goal lead is slim.

I do wish that it happens but I think we'll have to depend on some errors on their part for it to play out that way.

11 hours ago, shamrock said:

Toughest game yet, sure. But we should still beat them easily. And I'm afraid they will bunker, 'cause that's the only chance they have. They don't have the power upfront like we do, nor the D against it. It's going to be harder, but still Canada will prevail: 0-3. 

Easily? Things are never easy in CONCACAF... that sort of arrogance helps no one

Squad for St Kitts and Nevis  https://www.facebook.com/SKNFA/

-----------------------------

Julani Archibald (W Connection - T&T)

Jamal Jeffers (St Paul's Utd)

Zeleon Morton (Village Superstars)

Lois Maynard (Salford City - ENG)

Thrizen Leader (St Paul's Utd)

Atiba Harris (Oklahoma City Energy - USA)

Gerard Williams (W Connection - T&T)

Justin Springer (Vaughan - born in Canada)

Alain Sargeant (George Mason - NCAA USA - born in Canada - played a few matches in League 1 Ontario)

Nile Walwyn (UMF Tindastoll - ISL - born in Canada)

Raheem Somersall (Florida Gulf Coast University - USA)

Yohannes Mitchum (Puebla FC U20 - MEX)

Theo Wharton (Nuneaton - ENG)

Raheem Hanley (Halifax Town - ENG - ex England U19 international)

Joash Leader (Paul's United)

Kadeen Lewis (most likely playing local football)

Harrison Panayiotou (Nuneaton - ENG) 

Romaine Sawyers (Brentford - ENG)

Kennedy Isles (local football?)

Devaughn Elliott (Village Superstars)

Omari Sterling (Mansfield Town - ENG)

Carlos Bertie (Cayon FC, but spent some time playing club football in El Salvador)

Tiran Hanley (Village Superstars)

Tishan Hanley (Fredericksburg FC USA)

Tahir Hanley (Garden Hotspurs FC)

---------------

Wikipedia was mostly the source, so the clubs might not be 100 percent accurate

23 minutes ago, Toje said:

Squad for St Kitts and Nevis  https://www.facebook.com/SKNFA/

-----------------------------

Julani Archibald (W Connection - T&T)

Jamal Jeffers (St Paul's Utd)

Zeleon Morton (Village Superstars)

Lois Maynard (Salford City - ENG)

Thrizen Leader (St Paul's Utd)

Atiba Harris (Oklahoma City Energy - USA)

Gerard Williams (W Connection - T&T)

Justin Springer (Vaughan - born in Canada)

Alain Sargeant (George Mason - NCAA USA - born in Canada - played a few matches in League 1 Ontario)

Nile Walwyn (UMF Tindastoll - ISL - born in Canada)

Raheem Somersall (Florida Gulf Coast University - USA)

Yohannes Mitchum (Puebla FC U20 - MEX)

Theo Wharton (Nuneaton - ENG)

Raheem Hanley (Halifax Town - ENG - ex England U19 international)

Joash Leader (Paul's United)

Kadeen Lewis (most likely playing local football)

Harrison Panayiotou (Nuneaton - ENG) 

Romaine Sawyers (Brentford - ENG)

Kennedy Isles (local football?)

Devaughn Elliott (Village Superstars)

Omari Sterling (Mansfield Town - ENG)

Carlos Bertie (Cayon FC, but spent some time playing club football in El Salvador)

Tiran Hanley (Village Superstars)

Tishan Hanley (Fredericksburg FC USA)

Tahir Hanley (Garden Hotspurs FC)

---------------

Wikipedia was mostly the source, so the clubs might not be 100 percent accurate

I played with Justin Springer during my undergrad. He's a good player. Quick and technically sound. In my opinion, he's as good or better than some of the guys I played with who suited up for the CMNT not too long ago (Nana Attakora, Matt Stinson to name a few). I think St. Kitts will be a surprisingly strong squad.

35 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Say all you want about the dangers of overconfidence or no tricky away games in CONCACAF, but if we are in any way intimidated by a squad like this, we should just pack it up because we have no business pretending we are becoming a true footy nation.

I am in the "just get a win" camp, but I don't think Canada should be intimidated by St. Kitts. I just think we should respect them.

Archived