Saint Kitts & Nevis vs Canada - Sunday November 18th

Happy with the roster.

Looks like Adekugbe is in for Morgan. No complaints there. I can see those two competing for one spot this cycle.

Great to see Godinho back. I wonder if Herdman wants to push Millar up field and let him and ZBG battle for that RWB spot?

Centrebacks are fine. I like that Edgar has been kept around. I think his leadership is important for the group. Interesting that we haven't seen Vitoria yet. I wonder if he's a part of the group?

I am comfortable with Osorio and Arfield missing. I still can't believe that. It goes to show how much our depth has improved that I can say that. I hope Chapman gets an opportunity, and I am interested to see if Spoony can earn a cap in this one. I also like the Liam Fraser call, though I don't think he'll beat out Piette or Hutchinson.

Wide forward options look great. Davies, Tabla, Millar, Hoilett, and possibly David, who showed he can play out there. I have to think Davies and Hoilett for sure will start, but with Tabla, Millar and David, you just never know. Great to have competition for places.

Cavallini should get the start ahead of Larin once again, who is a great option to have off the bench. I wonder if we'll see David down the middle at some point under Herdman. Might be worth a look.

Ricketts misses out this round and a second omission in a row for Dejong and Jakovic if I am not mistaken. Akindele, Aird, Edwards and Petrasso all firmly on the outside looking in at this point. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Could be some problems with both Osorio and Arfield missing. But a good time to test our other players in that position. Tabla and Chapman would likely be relied on in that position...

Would have preferred Herdman to expand his search for a CB. All the other positions have had varied call ups. But as talked about before, there may be more players who could be called: Vitoria, Sadiki, Etc...

Osorio had a operation last week. Not sure what you mean by missing.

If we stick to our formation from last match, we may line up like this:

------------------Borjan---------------

---------Cornelius---James-----------

ZBG---------Hutchinson-------Davies

--------------Spoon---Teibert----------

---Hoilett-----Cavallini-------David

Subs: Tabla, Millar, Adekugbe, Piette, Henry, Crepeau, Larin

Not dressed: Edgar, Godinho, Chapman, Fraser, Thomas

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If we stick to our formation from last match, we may line up like this:

------------------Borjan---------------

---------Cornelius---James-----------

ZBG---------Hutchinson-------Davies

--------------Spoon---Teibert----------

---Hoilett-----Cavallini-------David

Subs: Tabla, Millar, Adekugbe, Piette, Henry, Crepeau, Larin

Not dressed: Edgar, Godinho, Chapman, Fraser, Thomas

I like this except I’d put Hutchinson at CM and Piette at DM.  Teibert on the bench as he was poor last match. 

Also, I would dress all the players since we aren’t limited to a 7 man bench ?

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Seems like the strategy of capping guys in the first 2 matches of CNL qualifying was the right move as well - suddenly we feel no pressure to get someone on the field and we can focus on our best available 11.  That was one thing Herdman did that I definitely approved.

The guy hasn't done much wrong so far I must say. The only question marks are non-calls of former Internationals, like Straith, Vitoria and to lesser extend Hainault. But there could be legit reasons for these non-calls we don't know about. 

25 minutes ago, shamrock said:

The guy hasn't done much wrong so far I must say. The only question marks are non-calls of former Internationals, like Straith, Vitoria and to lesser extend Hainault. But there could be legit reasons for these non-calls we don't know about. 

Can't call everyone.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not formation geek, but that seems overly offence-heavy.  with 3 at the back and only Hutch as the other defensively minded player, I would worry about getting hit hard on the counter.  At the risk of overgeneralizing, many of these Caribbean teams have a couple of guys with serious pace. 

I think we have enough offensive firepower to grab at least a couple of goals.  For me, a big objective will be to really limit their chances - we should win readily if we do.

I think a 3-5-2 plays to the strength of the roster. We dont have a lot of talent in the back but the midfield is so deep. We only have two in the back in the first two games. 

40 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think a 3-5-2 plays to the strength of the roster. We dont have a lot of talent in the back but the midfield is so deep. We only have two in the back in the first two games. 

Fair enough - but in that formation I would still sub in Piette (as a 2nd CDM alongside Hutch) and take off one of the attackers (prob Millar).  Having 3 defenders and 1 CDM seems a bit light to me.

Would like to see this starting line up:

- Hutchinson’s 80th Cap

- Borjan’s 40th 

- Piette’s 40th

- Hoilett’s 20th

- Cavallini’s 10th

- Larin’s 27th

- Henry’s 24th 

- James’s 17th 

- Davies’s 9th

- Adekugbe’s 8th

- Godihno’s 2nd 

Subs: David (3rd), Tabla (2nd), Millar (4th)

Note: Our Away Kits

C54799AA-FE1C-457E-A3EA-53030C094582.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Would like to see this starting line up:

- Hutchinson’s 80th Cap

- Borjan’s 40th 

- Piette’s 40th

- Hoilett’s 20th

- Cavallini’s 10th

- Larin’s 27th

- Henry’s 24th 

- James’s 17th 

- Adekugbe’s 8th

- Godihno’s 2nd 

Subs: David (3rd), Tabla (2nd), Millar (4th)

Note: Our Away Kits

C54799AA-FE1C-457E-A3EA-53030C094582.jpeg

Only problem with this lineup is one of Larin or Cav will have to drop and play as a second striker and neither of them is good at that. I think it would be better to get more of an attacking mid in that area of the field, Maybe Tabla, Chapman, or even Hoilett playing inside.

6 hours ago, RS said:

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-announces-men-s-national-team-squad-for-important-away-match-on-road-to-qatar-2022-p161932-preview-1

CANADA
1- GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / Kongsvinger IL
2- FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | FRA / Olympique Lyonnais
3- CB- Manjrekar James | DEN / FC Fredericia (on loan)
4- CB- Derek Cornelius | SRB / FK Javor Ivanjica
5- CB- David Edgar | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
6- M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
7- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
8- M- David Wotherspoon | SCO / St. Johnstone FC
9- F- Cyle Larin | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
10- M- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
11- FB- Samuel Adekugbe | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball
12- W- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
14- W- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC U-23
15- CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16- FB- Marcus Godinho | SCO / Heart of Midlothian FC
17- M- Liam Fraser | CAN / Toronto FC
18- GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
19- F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
20- F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
21- M- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC
22- GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
23- AM / F- Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla | ESP / FC Barcelona B

Some of the quality of players on this list still wow me... damn

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Well.. after what happened to the U20 against St. Kitts and Nevis, I really hope that Herdman doesn't mess around with this game and starts our best players... would have to see another shock, specially at the senior level

Well we are a quarter of the way there. Arfield is out, now just sit Davies, Hoilet and Borjan and they'll be up against the rocks before the whistle is blown just like the u-20's,  

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Ricketts misses out this round and a second omission in a row for Dejong and Jakovic if I am not mistaken. Akindele, Aird, Edwards and Petrasso all firmly on the outside looking in at this point. 

All likely and rightful omissions. TBH I don't think we'll see Ricketts at the GC. 

Edwards I would love to see him in this setup... But he has some serious talent up against him. If we played a 3-5-2 though, I think he would be a solid WB to create with the attackers we have. 

5 hours ago, canta15 said:

Mind boggling Piette has as many caps as Borjan. Good for him

It was dire straits just a couple of years ago. We were happy to have a promising midfielder from Spain as option. It's only since the last year that things have begun to look better. 

Archived