Saint Kitts & Nevis vs Canada - Sunday November 18th

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

You should always be careful not to walk into an away draw, but we'll have a huge advantage with the bookies. We might want to invite guys like Elva and Telfer for this one. 

I would love to cap tie both but I would be shocked if they do it in this window. 

USVI or even Dominica would have been better opportunities, but capping Tabla and Busti were bigger priorities, understandably.

I would consider calling Telfer for the last camp though. If we get a few goals up on French Guyana and it's late in the game, let's get him cap tied so T&T don't go sniffing around before GC.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some posters might want a remember some of those Antigua and Barbuda results during WCQ in 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Third_Round

Look at their home results:

0-0  Jamaica

0-1  Guatemala

1-2 USA (the US needed a goal in extra time to win it)

So, no one is afraid of St Kitts but what some posters, including me, are trying to say is that playing away against some of those islands can be tricky sometimes even if they aren't teams full of pros. It's the kind of game I expect us to win but it probably won't be as easy as our first 2 LofNQ games.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, El Diego said:

2. I posted multiple times that I found our 2-5-3 hilarious but ultimately pointless as goal difference won't actually matter and it doesn't teach us anything.

Though this appears to be the case, this is only if we win out.  Don't forget that we're Canada... so... you know... 

12 hours ago, shamrock said:

We might want to invite guys like Elva and Telfer for this one. 

Honestly speaking they both have the quality to be difference makers. The thing is for Canada they might not be in Herdman’s Plans and they would behind in the team with all the depth we have in midfield 

I am surprised these two haven’t taken their chances and declared for Trinidad and Saint Lucia Already

Both are at a level of International Football, But it may not be for us

Whether that’s a loss on us? Who knows, but they certainly have more opportunity elsewhere 

Usually only time tells whether a player slip through the cracks

Lets hope these two don’t, but if they do can you blame them? 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I would love to cap tie both but I would be shocked if they do it in this window. 

USVI or even Dominica would have been better opportunities, but capping Tabla and Busti were bigger priorities, understandably.

I would consider calling Telfer for the last camp though. If we get a few goals up on French Guyana and it's late in the game, let's get him cap tied so T&T don't go sniffing around before GC.

I wouldn't mind capping them both but I don't think either guys merit calls ahead of guys like Edwards, Aird, Wotherspoon, Fisk and more that are getting consistent playtime or playtime in better leagues. 

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I wouldn't mind capping them both but I don't think either guys merit calls ahead of guys like Edwards, Aird, Wotherspoon, Fisk and more that are getting consistent playtime or playtime in better leagues. 

Fisk does not play in a better league than Elva or Telfer. And I don't think we'll be seeing Wotherspoon anymore. He isn't a regular XI player for St. Johnstone and we have a lot of younger more exciting players in both his positions.

55 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Fisk does not play in a better league than Elva or Telfer. And I don't think we'll be seeing Wotherspoon anymore. He isn't a regular XI player for St. Johnstone and we have a lot of younger more exciting players in both his positions.

Yes he would fall into that more consistent playtime category. With Wotherspoon it depends what you call regular, he has started more than half of the games he has been available for and been off the bench for all of the others but one. I think he adds more quality and experience in a game where we need it. There is time to cap tie younger players against different opposition and when they have truly earned it.  Elva hasn't started a game yet this season and Telfer hasn't played consistently for TFC since June. I do tend to agree with the younger exciting options but I think we should er on the side of caution for the next game. 

Wotherspoon will be called back. Maybe even for St Kitts match. 

Elva will probably be called for either  November or March and maybe even Gold Cup if he shows well. Herdman will probably want to see him play in the flesh. 

I suspect enthusiasm for Telfer has dampened a lot since his performance and minutes dwindled over the summer, but maybe we see him for last qualifier in March. 

With respect, I don’t imagine Fisk is really within reaching distance of the top of the depth chart at the moment. A few years ago when he got to Korea? maybe but not at present sorry to say. 

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Honestly speaking they both have the quality to be difference makers. The thing is for Canada they might not be in Herdman’s Plans and they would behind in the team with all the depth we have in midfield 

I am surprised these two haven’t taken their chances and declared for Trinidad and Saint Lucia Already

Both are at a level of International Football, But it may not be for us

Whether that’s a loss on us? Who knows, but they certainly have more opportunity elsewhere  

Usually only time tells whether a player slip through the cracks

Lets hope these two don’t, but if they do can you blame them? 

What kind of be benefits, perks and travel arrangements do you think Saint Lucia can offer? Or future? Can't see that side being in his future unless he wants to be like a lot of English Caribbean guys and come once or twice for a career of under 10 caps.

I'd like to see Telfer called up sooner rather than later. He's playing close to T&T and sounds like he's straight off the boat. His personal affinity will be strong.

We'll definitely see Wotherspoon again and I can't believe Benfisksbiggestfan has succeeded in getting others to actually discuss Fisk as a possibility...

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Feel like I am missing something here...

Same confederation. So T & T matches not that difficult to travel to, which half the time means not all the way to T&T. Regardless of where St Lucia would play, Elva would have to travel a long distance and deal with recovery time.

10 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Same confederation. So T & T matches not that difficult to travel to, which half the time means not all the way to T&T. Regardless of where St Lucia would play, Elva would have to travel a long distance and deal with recovery time.

Half the time he would travel all the way to T&T though.

And by the way, I see no difference between travelling to play for St Lucia and Canada then, if "same confederation" is your criteria.

Are Caniggia Elva and Ryan Telfer players with an actual future with the CMNT though?  I'd hate to cynically cap-tie them and rob them of opportunity to play international football. 

Guys like Dan Fernandes, Asmir Begovic, Owen Hargreaves, Jon de Guzman, and maybe even Teal Bunbury in the past and Ricardo Ferreira, Stephen Estaquio and Fikayo Tomori presently are guys that would've definitely been important players for us.

Are these two of the quality that their loss is going to impede us?

25 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Are Caniggia Elva and Ryan Telfer players with an actual future with the CMNT though?  I'd hate to cynically cap-tie them and rob them of opportunity to play international football. 

Guys like Dan Fernandes, Asmir Begovic, Owen Hargreaves, Jon de Guzman, and maybe even Teal Bunbury in the past and Ricardo Ferreira, Stephen Estaquio and Fikayo Tomori presently are guys that would've definitely been important players for us.

Are these two of the quality that their loss is going to impede us?

Elva was a hyped player and is still only 22.. a breakthrough year and he could move up in Germany and he will be around for the next 3 cycles.  Definitely has the potential to play for Canada one day.. he also impressed for the u23 team and has received a senior call.

Telfer would add to a T&T side that is a direct competitor for WCQ.  A MLS regular would be a regular for them, I think he should be cap tied.  The USA had no issues doing it to Bunbury and Finlay.. 

I think Telfer is definitely a guy who should be cap tied. Let’s look at our winger depth:

Hoilett, Davies, Tabla, Miller, Edwards, Telfer (and others around his level: Akindele, Aird, Fisk, etc...)

I think that Telfer has the ability to have a breakthrough season in the MLS. Eventually working his way up to Edwards level or higher. All it takes is a couple injuries or Telfer raising his level of play a bit and Telfer is invited to the Golf cup for winger depth.

21 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I don't think Edwards is cap tied yet either right? Since he dind't feature in the Gold Cup.

Dude has been capped 4 times and been through at least 4 separate training camps, if he is eligible for another country I suspect he'd have already attempted his chances with them.

That said, can't hurt to officially cap tie him since he's a left-footed player comfortable with all the wide positions.  Even if it's just for depth behind Alphonso Davies.

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Half the time he would travel all the way to T&T though.

And by the way, I see no difference between travelling to play for St Lucia and Canada then, if "same confederation" is your criteria.

But you do see a difference between playing for Canada and playing for St Lucia, right? We are all biased, but I do think we have a bright future. St Lucia has no hope.

2 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

But you do see a difference between playing for Canada and playing for St Lucia, right? We are all biased, but I do think we have a bright future. St Lucia has no hope.

Yeah I do agree with you there. Canada can give him a much more memorable international career. I haven't written  him off either. I think he has what it take to eventually wind up in the 2.Bundesliga and from there he may wiggle his way into our team, if not before.

Archived