2019 Voyageurs Cup

19 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Saw the height of pettiness last night. TSN ticker made no mention of Cdn Championship games and the ticker on the Roger's owned Score omitted the Calgary result.

I was watching TSN around lunch time yesterday. They had the first two Canadian Championship games on the ticker, but not the Cavalry result. I think it was just a matter of the guy running the ticker not updating it after he went home for the day the night before. It was SportsCentre that I was watching and they DID have highlights of the game.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, Ed_S said:

Saw the height of pettiness last night. TSN ticker made no mention of Cdn Championship games and the ticker on the Roger's owned Score omitted the Calgary result.

Yeah, THIS is why the CPL teams beating MLS teams in the CanChamp is so important. To even get a sniff of coverage it is required. Even though it's not much. But at least there is some here and there in mainstream media.  Now, there will be a few more sniffs about the next round. If Cavalry could somehow advance again, the "sniffs" should turn into "looks". 8D

Can anyone explain how it was decided which teams will host the each of the two legs of the semifinal and final rounds?

The only thing I can find is this vague statement: https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-outline-2019-canadian-championship-draw-format-p162036

After QR1 matchups are set, and subject to facility availability, the seeded teams from Qualifying Round 2 onwards will host the second leg.

For the Final Round, as in previous years, the highest seeded team has the opportunity to select which leg it wishes to play at home.

Nor can I find information about the seeding of the teams in the tournament.

Edited by spinrack

17 hours ago, narduch said:

The team with the higher seed hosts the 2nd leg.

The Cavalry-Impact matches were switched due to Equestrian events in Calgary. That's what I've seen.

Ah, OK, that makes sense.   I was wondering specifically why the Impact were hosting the first leg, when as the presumably higher seed (I can't find any rankings) they should normally be hosting the second match.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Lofty said:

Time to stop kow towing to American franchises and start insisting that in a tournament that is called "The Canadian Championship", all teams must have a majority of CANADIAN players on the pitch at all times (i.e. at least six).

There are no American franchises in the Canadian Championship.

Your proposal would also screw over a few CPL teams, and significantly lower the standard of play in the tournament. However, a starting point of six Canadians in the starting XI is certainly attainable within the next few years.

It's not exactly the same rule.  The Canadian Championship rule has to do with national team eligibility. The CPL rule is more lenient (citizenship or permanent resident or some such). HFX, for example, has several T&T players that qualify as Canadian under league rules.

43 minutes ago, jonovision said:

It's not exactly the same rule.  The Canadian Championship rule has to do with national team eligibility. The CPL rule is more lenient (citizenship or permanent resident or some such). HFX, for example, has several T&T players that qualify as Canadian under league rules.

No, the T&T players don't qualify as Canadian under league rules­. However, players like Schaale and Bona qualified because they were USports players while they weren't Canadian permanent residents. (Maybe Bona got his, but I'm not sure)

On 8/21/2019 at 11:49 AM, RS said:

There are no American franchises in the Canadian Championship.

Your proposal would also screw over a few CPL teams, and significantly lower the standard of play in the tournament. However, a starting point of six Canadians in the starting XI is certainly attainable within the next few years.

Not even TFC? If Lofty's proposal was for 6 American starters instead of 6 Canadian starters, TFC would have met the quota purely by accident in both of their Canadian Championship matches so far. All info from soccerway.

Game 1 vs Ottawa - Bono, Moor, Zavaleta, Morrow, Delgado, Mullins
https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2019/08/08/canada/canadian-championship/ottawa-fury-fc/toronto-fc/2984618/?ICID=PL_MS_01

Game 2 vs Ottawa - Bono, Moor, Zavaleta, Morrow, DeLeon, Mullins
https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2019/08/15/canada/canadian-championship/toronto-fc/ottawa-fury-fc/2984620/?ICID=PL_MS_02

This despite their American head coach resting American automatic starters Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore. In my opinion they are essentially an American franchise that just happens to play their home games in Canada and has Canadian fans. This is coming from a TFC fan who still doesn't miss a game on TV (but I go to live games a lot less often than I used to).

Vancouver and Montreal have much less American rosters, but Montreal did have a game with as many Argentinians starting as Canadians.
https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2019/07/25/canada/canadian-championship/montreal-impacts/york-9/2984617/

... and a game with as many French starters as Canadians.
https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2019/08/08/canada/canadian-championship/montreal-impacts/cavalry/2984619/?ICID=PL_MS_03

As for whether it would hurt CPL teams... in the Canadian championship CPL teams had the following...

11 Canadian starters - 0 times
10 Canadian starters - 1 times
9 Canadian starters - 6 times
8 Canadian starters - 5 times
7 Canadian starters - 6 times
6 Canadian starters - 3 times
5 or less Canadian starters - 5 times (note: 3 of the 5 games they ended the game with 6 or more Canadians on the field. The other 2 games saw 6 different Canadian players make it onto the field, but not at the same time)

I'm all for Lofty's proposal.

When Toronto FC first started, there were quite a few Canadians in their squad.  But after the initial few years, fans started demanding a winning product and so the Canadian content was diluted to a very small token number.  The thought amongst many (maybe even the majority) of TFC supporters was that they wanted to win and the origin of the players was irrelevant.  If the CPL is a development league, then the Canadian minimum rules are perfect.  But I can see a day when the CPL is successful that the minimum Canadian player rule is diluted.

It became almost cool at TFC matches to slag the Canadians and in fact blame them for all of the teams failures, I don't know how many times I heard the football experts in the stands complaining about JDG not scoring lots of goals, Osorio was a favourite target of many fans as well and still has many critics! They won their Championship by paying lots of money for DP's so the fans got what they wanted and mostly deserved, it's not working out as well now and frankly I think many of these Americans are over rated by a management team that is American from top to bottom! I personally love watching the Canadians who may not have had a fair chance elsewhere play entertaining minutes in the CPL!

10 minutes ago, Lofty said:

It is an interesting discussion. TFC is one team. CPL is an entire league. The situation is different because all CPL teams will have the same rules.

As CPL gets better, won't the Canadians who play in it get better too? I assume nobody thinks that Canadians' football talent is somehow stunted.

Another argument might be that fewer Canadian places per team will be needed as the number of CPL teams increases. But won't there be more Canadian players as the league proliferates and gets better and pays more to its players?

England have suffered greatly by allowing unlimited foreign content in the Premier League. Nascent CPL can learn from that.

Don't disagree with almost all that you've said.  I think the biggest thing is that the Canadians who play in the CPL will be better than they are now and so the teams can be more selective as to the ones that make it.  Personally, I think there is room for quality non-Canadian talent in the league, the debate is the percentage.  As for the Premier League, that's an entirely different beast.  It's brought in lots of talent but it's also not helping the teams further down the pyramid (i.e. Bury, Bolton, and Aldershot & Maidstone before that).