2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I am just about to start shunning TSN.  This is shameful!  I wonder what the soccer guys think of it?

They aren't ideal, but they are stil showing the WWC, the Gold Cup, and MLS games for those who follows that league.  I would have loved to see them make CPL and V-Cup games part of that lineup (and thus declare themselves as the home of Canadian footy) but I will still give them some credit - and some dollars.

Obviously i cant because they do have so much soccer for us on the network.  Hopefully they are more inclusive to the CPL next year.  its like they are going out of their way not to mention it at all.  I dont know what they are going to say when CPL comes up against MLS in the V's cup.  I dont think it would take away from their EPL, Uefa, WWC, Gold Cup etc if they throw a little spotlight on CPL.  Sportsnet doesnt seem to have any problems with it.  

Inter league play is always fun for all the usual reasons and in true cup fashion we're going to see 3rd round actions involving 3 different leagues on 3 very distinctive grounds.  Two quirky but charming CPL venues in Wanderer's Grounds and Spruce Meadows and the just straight up arse York Lions Stadium.  I LOVE IT.   

Wednesday evening is such a right off for me.  

Well, I think tonight puts CPL well and truly on the football map. Lots of happy CPL fans tonight. Two great matches and the other was a great result.

Advantage Ottawa and Impact going into the 2nd leg, but Cavs have an even chance to advance.

Posted (edited)

Anyone who has not seen the goal by York 9’s Ryan Telfer tonight versus Montreal,  i say,  google it.  Or look for it on Youtube.   It the the nicest goal that i have seen live all year.  All competitions including MLS.

Edited by Free kick

6 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Are there highlights fir these matches?

Yup, all the extended highlights are on the OneSoccer youtube channel

Now that the CPL clubs acquitted them selves quite nicely in the Cup  I got to thinking of a slight flaw in how Canadian teams qualify for the CONCACAF competitions. 

Its entirely possible for a CPL team to qualify for the CONCACAF League and Champions League all in the same season. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, narduch said:

Now that the CPL clubs acquitted them selves quite nicely in the Cup  I got to thinking of a slight flaw in how Canadian teams qualify for the CONCACAF competitions. 

Its entirely possible for a CPL team to qualify for the CONCACAF League and Champions League all in the same season. 

That happens in every league. Whenever a club wins the top league and the national cup, they'll take the higher spot (in this case, CCL) and the lesser spot (CONCACAF League) will go to the second-placed team in the league.

Edited by Zem

2 minutes ago, Zem said:

That happens in every league. Whenever a club wins the top league and the national cup, they'll take the higher spot (in this case, CCL) and the lesser spot (CONCACAF League) will go to the second-placed team in the league.

That's not the same thing. 

For example. Forge are about to start their CONCACAF League matches. But had they pulled off an upset and won the 2019 Voyageurs Cup that would automatically place them in the 2020 Champions League. 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

That's not the same thing. 

For example. Forge are about to start their CONCACAF League matches. But had they pulled off an upset and won the 2019 Voyageurs Cup that would automatically place them in the 2020 Champions League. 

Ah, true enough. Yeah, I dunno how they'd manage that if a club qualified for CCL through both the VC and CL.

I guess the club would take whichever Champions League spot gave the higher seeding (currently it would be the VC obviously), and then the other spot would go to the VC runner-up. It would be pretty weird for the VC runner-up to take the CONCACAF League spot in the Champions League that the other club technically won, but I feel like that's the only thing that would work.

Yeah, I brought up this scenario when the CONCACAF League format change was announced. It would be nice to see CONCACAF’s thoughts on it so we at least know they won’t be coming up with what to do after the fact.

I love that the 3 CPL teams acquitted themselves so well last night (we were a blown offside call away from 3 draws) and I love that the 3 teams carrying the CPL banner are not the ones shown seniority preference by the league when it came to eligibility for CCL. 

No idea what will happen on round 2 of these matches but great showing yesterday. 

Just got to watch some of the Cavalry Caps game and watched highlights of it and the York Impact game (was at Halifax Fury).  Great to see chances by all sides. Crazy that York basically gifted the Impact both their goals (no idea why Ingram would make that tackle to give up the pk).  They were a couple of brain glitches away from a 2-0 lead.  That would have been wild.  

One last global comment on CPL in this competition.  Overall, the brand new league gave a hugely respectable account of itself.

HFX went the distance with Ottawa but fell a bit short.  Was hoping for a different result, but credit to Fury for playing well over 2 legs.  I think this series puts to be bed the idea that there is any separation between Fury and the CPL.  HFX is a mid table CPL club and this one could have went either way.  Will be interesting to see if there is an attempt to continue rationalizing an exemption for Ottawa to play in another league due to "exceptional circumstances". 

Y9 unlucky against an impact team with a much larger budget.  Good to see a solid crowd out last night to watch the game - would be great if this could give a boost to CPL interest in QC.  The derby possibilities - both between TO based teams and a Quebec City team - are huge.

And massive props to Cavalry for what is undeniably the pick of the bunch.  I can't think of a more significant result (in terms of upsetting the status quo expectations) in V Cup history.  If any result will announce the coming of CPL, it is this one.  On the east coast I couldn't stay up for the second half but had a good feeling based on what saw.  Great to see them pull out the result. 

I wish the other 2 matches could have gone the other way, but overall any CPL fan has to be pleased with how this round went down. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

One last global comment on CPL in this competition.  Overall, the brand new league gave a hugely respectable account of itself.

HFX went the distance with Ottawa but fell a bit short.  Was hoping for a different result, but credit to Fury for playing well over 2 legs.  I think this series puts to be bed the idea that there is any separation between Fury and the CPL.  HFX is a mid table CPL club and this one could have went either way.  Will be interesting to see if there is an attempt to continue rationalizing an exemption for Ottawa to play in another league due to "exceptional circumstances". 

Y9 unlucky against an impact team with a much larger budget.  Good to see a solid crowd out last night to watch the game - would be great if this could give a boost to CPL interest in QC.  The derby possibilities - both between TO based teams and a Quebec City team - are huge.

And massive props to Cavalry for what is undeniably the pick of the bunch.  I can't think of a more significant result (in terms of upsetting the status quo expectations) in V Cup history.  If any result will announce the coming of CPL, it is this one.  On the east coast I couldn't stay up for the second half but had a good feeling based on what saw.  Great to see them pull out the result. 

I wish the other 2 matches could have gone the other way, but overall any CPL fan has to be pleased with how this round went down. 

In terms of significance, Montreal winning the tournament while still a USL team is probably the last time there was a significant upset. But that was a different format. 

It's a shame TFC didn't start in this round as well. 

This tournament is so much more interesting this round then previous rounds or even other years having the different leagues involved. Not sure if it is the same for everyone, but seeing teams from 5 different leagues against each other is very intriguing. As much as I want CPL teams to do well actually happy Montreal won to see Cavalry against another MLS side.

Next year CSA needs to start every team in the first round. Even if they want to seed teams, this has been the most interesting round of Cup soccer in Canada ever and we bed more of that.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Y9 unlucky against an impact team with a much larger budget. 

Just so that sinks in.....if we are to believe the Blizzard of parrot droppings, CPL budget is under 1million, probably closer to 700g.  Although no one actually knows.  Impact has a salary of over 11million.  So kudos to Y9 for hanging with the big boys.  

Overall this reminds me of some of the fantastic games we have had in previous V-cups between the MLS clubs.  Except the games were on national tv and everyone got to experience it.  Hopefully enough people get on board with Calgarys run (much like Impacts run from a lower league) to move the needle in terms of support/respect for the CPL in general.  

@Stryker911 I agree the tournament is more interesting with different leagues represented. For that reason, I don't mind Ottawa Fury remaining in USL. To be honest, I kind of like it. It's cool to see a USL Championship team against CPL teams. 

I know Ottawa is a market we want to CPL to be in, but perhaps they can launch a team in Gatineau. That kills two birds with one stone - presence in Ottawa and Quebec.

I am looking forward to BCL1 kicking off, will be great to have another semi-pro entry join this cup.

A vision towards 2021:

- BCL1

- L1O

- PLSQ

- HFX

- Y9

- Forge

- Valour

- Cavs

- FCE

- Pacific

- Fury

- TFC

- IMFC

- Caps

- CPL expansion

- CPL expansion

- CPL expansion

Perhaps too optimistic to expect 3 expansion teams in 2 years....but that's what I would love to see, just to get an even 10 in CPL.

Saw the height of pettiness last night. TSN ticker made no mention of Cdn Championship games and the ticker on the Roger's owned Score omitted the Calgary result.

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

Saw the height of pettiness last night. TSN ticker made no mention of Cdn Championship games and the ticker on the Roger's owned Score omitted the Calgary result.

Bet they had NBA summer leagues scores though