2019 Voyageurs Cup

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

USL Championship team knocked out an MLS team last night

Saint Louis FC (USL-C) 2-1 Chicago Fire (MLS)

Both teams with Canadian content; Paris Gee for St. Louis and Raheem Edwards for Fire

46 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier but I will reiterate anyway.

We already know that the away goals rule is in effect for the 2019 Voyageurs Cup.

But apparently if the score is tied after 90 mins in the 2nd leg and away goals are equal, we go straight to penalties -- no extra time.

That's the way it is in the CCL, so might as well do it this way here.

So I have a question:

• Will TSN/SN/TVA or RDS will purchase the MediaPro produced games of the 3 MLS teams?
  • Do you think that it will be the 3 MLS teams asking to be TV?
  • Will the MLS team & Sports Channel do nothing, forcing the MLS team to redirect their fans to Onesoccer?

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

I was wondering about TV as well. 

Wasn't there also rumours of One Soccer starting a cable channel?

Certainly not this year unless they bring content of other leagues on their channels like La Liga and Ligue 1 (highly recommended)

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The 3rd round is now set. Matches on July 10 & 24.

HFX v Ottawa Fury - winner takes on TFC

York9 v Montreal Impact will face the winner of Cavalry v Vancouver Whitecaps.

We will get to see where the CPL stands.

Really looking forward to these matches.  I am not going to pin my hopes on major upsets but respectable showings by the CPL clubs will be key.  Would definitely be nice to grab a win over the Fury which is why I kind of wish the table had facilitated a Cav-Fury matchup - but HFX is hitting their stride at the right time so fingers crossed.  The added bonus is that a win would bring TFC to Halifax for the next round which would be crazy and accessible for an Islander like me. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

16 hours ago, Ansem said:

So I have a question:

• Will TSN/SN/TVA or RDS will purchase the MediaPro produced games of the 3 MLS teams?
  • Do you think that it will be the 3 MLS teams asking to be TV?
  • Will the MLS team & Sports Channel do nothing, forcing the MLS team to redirect their fans to Onesoccer?

Great question. We've seen how TSN has refused to broadcast or relegated to TSN GO a whole bunch of games that they already seem to have the right to or have first refusal on, whether CCL, FIFA U20 WC, VCup, etc etc, over the years, so I will be a bit surprised if TSN even bought the rights to games which they longer have the rights for. However, it would be cool if CBC did so. Or Sportsnet.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I think it's kind of hilarious that the 3 seeded CPL teams based on the year they joined all got knocked out by their lesser CPL brethren.

I guess relative age does not make you greater or lesser. I see it more as a stop gap measure, and a rather arbitrary one, until there are actual league results to use for seeding. Although everybody is new at this and some are struggling more to find a rhythm, if you use V Cup results as the measuring stick then none of the winning teams are in any way lesser. That is why we play these games to see what happens.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I am just about to start shunning TSN.  This is shameful!  I wonder what the soccer guys think of it?

They aren't ideal, but they are stil showing the WWC, the Gold Cup, and MLS games for those who follows that league.  I would have loved to see them make CPL and V-Cup games part of that lineup (and thus declare themselves as the home of Canadian footy) but I will still give them some credit - and some dollars.