2019 Voyageurs Cup

Lefevre is a cpa and working so really doesnt need to play pro..as stated he recently joined FC Sparte in plfq which is mostly Blainville players so this was predictable..took a year off, worked and still had a will to play and Blainville is probably the only interesting option for him with them being in the Voyageurs Cup

In case you don't want to watch the video:

Round 1 (May 15/22)

1. Vaughan vs Halifax
2. Cavalry vs Pacific FC
3. AS Blainville vs York 9

Round 2 (June 5/12)

4. W3 vs FC Edmonton
5. W2 vs Forge
6. W1 vs Valour

Round 3 (July 10/24)

7. W6 vs Fury
8. W4 vs Impact
9. W5 vs Whitecaps

Semi-Finals (Aug 7/14)

10. W7 vs TFC
11. W8 vs W9

Finals (Sept 18/25)

12. W10 vs W11

I'm bummed. There won't be a Forge vs TFC game unless they both make it to the finals.

The Q1 draw results avoided some conflicts in the GTA area.

Wednesday May 15th has Toronto FC vs Wayne Rooney's DC United at BMO Field  

that same night Vaughan Azzurri of League 1 Ontario host HFX Wanderers  

The next Wednesday (May 22) has the fixtures reversed but now York 9 FC hosts AS Blainville in their return match while TFC has the night off.  

Now all the GTA mainstream reporters can't use the fixtures as a way of avoiding covering the York 9 game (wasn't expecting much coverage of Vaughan anyway).  

Works out great for me as the only car wreck I was dreading would have been the draw coming out as both York 9 AND Vaughan hosting on the same night!  

Has there been any mention of USL league 2 teams joining for future tournaments? I wouldn't mind a preliminary round of League 1, PLSQ, and USL League 2 which currently consists of Thunder Bay Chill, WSA Winnipeg, Calgary Foothills, Victoria Highlanders, and TSS FC Rovers. I'm sure we could find another team to add to make it a nice round 8.

• 1 month later...

My tickets in the centre circle app for the May 22 game against Vaughn show the game at 1 pm....on a Wednesday. This can't be right. Has anyone noticed similar scheduling for other weekday Can Champ matches? or know of an official schedule anywhere to verify the time?

2 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

My tickets in the centre circle app for the May 22 game against Vaughn show the game at 1 pm....on a Wednesday. This can't be right. Has anyone noticed similar scheduling for other weekday Can Champ matches? or know of an official schedule anywhere to verify the time?

That's probably a placeholder time.

April 21, 2019 My game report on League 1 Ontario Oakville Blue Devils vs PLSQ A.S. Blainville exhibition game in Oakville. Includes interviews with coaches and players. Should also interest York 9 FC fans as they will play Blainville in the first round of the Voyageurs Cup.

The head coach of Blainville does answer questions on this year's Cup.

Edited by Rocket Robin

On 4/11/2019 at 11:06 AM, HfxCeltic said:

Which section are you in? Are Voyageurs planning a "neutral" section?

For Vaughan Azzurri vs. HFX Wanderers on May 15, any idea what's happening regarding tickets? I see nothing on Vaughan's website or social media account about tickets - other than them giving away tickets to the York 9 Voyageurs Cup match. 😂

Edited by Blue and White Army

2 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

Which section are you in? Are Voyageurs planning a "neutral" section?

For Vaughan Azzurri vs. HFX Wanderers on May 15, any idea what's happening regarding tickets? I see nothing on Vaughan's website or social media account about tickets - other than them giving away tickets to the York 9 Voyageurs Cup match. 😂

Season tickets in Section 105. Inquired with the club and they noted the game time of 1pm was an error and will be fixed. No to the neutral section. I do know the club has a small section designated for away supporters. Contact Marvin Okello with the club if you're looking to grab some of those tickets. 

I can't speak to tickets for the match in Vaughn.

• 2 weeks later...

So, coming back to that wonky format for the 2019 championship. Lots of people (including me) were perplexed, and we have all read the official explanation, but (as another poster mentioned) it felt icky. 

What if the organizers started with a longer term vision, where the tournament would always be five rounds, with one round each month from May to September, potentially accommodating up to 32 teams in a straight knockout? This way, they could build a tradition of one round per month, and always block dates accordingly. 

If that was the plan, they would need to take the available 2019 clubs and reverse engineer then into a five-round tournament to use up the five monthly dates. 

To me, that seems like the cleanest (and most forward looking) explanation. 

Am I crazy?