Canada-Dominica Game Thread (R)

Blackjack15

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I was frustrated because Davies and Millar passed the ball straight to the other team in our own half. That is not trying something that doesn't come off.

I really like how forward both players got last night. It was a treat to watch, but the giveaways are a blemish on their performances.

Yeah, I did mention in there that the passes that were missed under zero pressure was frustrating to see. If those were cleaned up the possession and chances created would have been even higher. Reminded me of watching hockey when your team can’t get set up on the power play?

It's pretty nice that we beat a team 5-0 that we barely squeeked by 1-0 a few years ago and we still have the ability to be critical and think they could've played better.

what's is this weird feeling i have inside my heart? That one that's been missing forever?

...oh right, it's hope.

19 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

It's pretty nice that we beat a team 5-0 that we barely squeeked by 1-0 a few years ago and we still have the ability to be critical and think they could've played better.

what's is this weird feeling i have inside my heart? That one that's been missing forever?

...oh right, it's hope.

We beat Dominica 4-0 last time at home, not by one. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Nice to see those stats, but they don't show where in the field those mistakes were made.

My problem is that most of those misplaced passes were in our own third or the middle third of the field. 

That can't happen against better teams. I think we'd all agree with that. 

Oh I remember a couple of those passes now. I agree, but at the same time, Davies and Miller are highly unlikely to be playing in a fullback position against better teams. So I really don’t think the will be making passes like that in those areas of the field.

19 hours ago, canta15 said:

I am a little disappointed we didn’t break the home record

What record are you referring to? Wasn't our biggest win at home 4-0?

https://www.canadasoccer.com/index.php?t=schedule_new.tpl&genderId=0&seasonKeyword=&tid=2068&venueKeyword=canada&opponentTeamKeyword=&month=0&year=

4-0 wins against Dominica (2015), St. Kitts (2011), and Belize (twice in 2004).

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Oh I remember a couple of those passes now. I agree, but at the same time, Davies and Miller are highly unlikely to be playing in a fullback position against better teams. So I really don’t think the will be making passes like that in those areas of the field.

I hope you're right!

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

What record are you referring to? Wasn't our biggest win at home 4-0?

https://www.canadasoccer.com/index.php?t=schedule_new.tpl&genderId=0&seasonKeyword=&tid=2068&venueKeyword=canada&opponentTeamKeyword=&month=0&year=

4-0 wins against Dominica (2015), St. Kitts (2011), and Belize (twice in 2004).

The goals scored at home record is the one I think he means, which was 5 on two previous occasions.

Sitting in Sec114 close to the field and seeing Davies charge down the left flank  taking on defenders in the first half was something to see. He was unstoppable when going forward. AD and Millar at this point, are forwards and thrive when taking on defenders 1v1. Playing them as wingbacks and assessing their performance in that position is harsh..just like it was when Henry played RB. Yes their passing was not great but I would like to see them both on the wings. Davies is the best young player Canada has produced..play him where he excels and see him fly just like in the GC 2017. If he plays or even trains on the wing at Bayern I sure hope we do the same.

I'm not at all worried about Davies, Millar or Tabla, they are in amazing places and top level coaching has to make them better. We'll see if they peak too early or continue to meet the challenges.

Especially Davies is going to be interesting as his new coaches get onto him. 

Neither Tabla nor Millar are killer strikers, so we'll have to see where they end up, as attackers in support roles, or pushed away from the box. Or else honing their striking and staying where we think they should be.

17 hours ago, Zem said:

The goals scored at home record is the one I think he means, which was 5 on two previous occasions.

I see the 5-2 and 5-1 wins now. I was being stupid. Plus the CSA website is a bit stupid. Why don't you have a "next page" button at the bottom of the results? Only at the top? Doesn't make sense. I should have paid more attention though.

So we tied the record for most goals, and broke the record for largest margin of victory (both at home).

On 10/17/2018 at 5:54 AM, aloyol said:

I was quite surprise to hear that JH had said that they were looking to beat the most goals scored at home record. I thought that was odd and could've backfired against him had we won 1-0 or even in the unlikely case of a tie. I have no problem with a confident manager but you shouldn't disrespect your opponent before the game.

Exactly, and then after the game he mentioned that they had scored 1 more goal than they did the last time they beat Dominica as if they had improved under his leadership. Quite odd for sure.  Improvements aren't always measured in goals especially against small island nations. Its always nice to see our guys score goals as it gives us something to cheer and boosts their confidence. We need that for sure. For a manager to point to it out in an interview makes him seem a bit naive.   

Maybe it’s his strategy to get the confidence sky high?  It’s better to have a young team naive and overconfident than timid and scared. These kids are riding a wave.  This is why the next match is going to be crucial.. it’s going to be hot, on a sloppy pitch and away to a team with a few proper players.  

30 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Maybe it’s his strategy to get the confidence sky high?  It’s better to have a young team naive and overconfident than timid and scared. These kids are riding a wave.  This is why the next match is going to be crucial.. it’s going to be hot, on a sloppy pitch and away to a team with a few proper players.  

Interesting strategy. I hope it works. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For what seemed like the 20 seconds it took for that ball to make it to the net, it looked like it might go over.  It just tucked under the bar.  Great when it works, but that one was a bit close...

It wouldn’t have mattered anyway since the Dominica player was basically past Cav by the time he shot LOL.

I'm not sure you can tell very much from games like this.

I did think Atiba played an important role in this match.  It's easy, for young players especially, to play down to the level of your competition.  I think that explains some of the sloppiness.  Meanwhile Atiba helped organize and clean up some of those mistakes.

I do like the way the schedule set up: easy games while Herdman is getting to know his players and now two slightly stiffer challenges.  Hopefully against St K and FG we will start to see some more crispness and precision in all areas of our buildup.

I will say that from the Supporters Section in the first half Davies with the ball at his feet just looked electric, despite some poor giveaways in the match.

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I'm not sure you can tell very much from games like this.

I did think Atiba played an important role in this match.  It's easy, for young players especially, to play down to the level of your competition.  I think that explains some of the sloppiness.  Meanwhile Atiba helped organize and clean up some of those mistakes.

I do like the way the schedule set up: easy games while Herdman is getting to know his players and now two slightly stiffer challenges.  Hopefully against St K and FG we will start to see some more crispness and precision in all areas of our buildup.

I think that when we start playing guys in position, with the system that we will stick to against tougher opponents it will get better.  It has been fun trying to run up the score, but playing Millar and Davies as fullbacks isnt really going to help us with a cohesive/precision play later this winter.  Hopefully next camp we see Godinho/LBG and Adekugbe or whoever is more likely to be at FB in the future, start the game.  Hoilett, David Cavallini and Davies had some nice link ups and seem to be geling a bit up front.  

Archived