Canada-Dominica Game Thread (R)

Blackjack15

Davies’ passing was sloppy several times in the first half, but he set up a nice goal by David and had some nice moments in the second half linking up with Tabla and Oso. 

Lots of positives to take from this game, especially knowing we played FIVE teenagers! But we need to be tidier in our passing through the midfield. Most of our cheap giveaways were NOT in the final third, which is a bit alarming but easy enough to fix.

The field is absolute crap, which I suppose is totally appropriate for CONCACAF, but not good enough for Canada and TFC. 

Tiebert and Oso were very solid and tidy and played some great balls forward. But we were certainly lacking a bit of cohesion in the middle of the park. Good result early in Herdman’s tenure; much still to do to raise our game to the level of Costa Rica, for instance

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing I learned from the game was that Busti is a pretty good passer of the ball. Otherwise,  I hope that we don't have to play these kinds of games in the future as we don't get challenged and we learn nothing against a team playing a 9-0-1 formation once they go down 3-0 after 20 minutes. I mean when are we ever going to play a meaningful game again with that being the scenario?

Frustrated tbh, good start to get 3 in the first 20 minutes but to only score two goals the rest of the game was really disappointing. Yeah we dominated but that was to be expected. My only big positive was the cap ties. ?

I wonder if the pitch was to blame for all of those misplaced passes.

1 minute ago, Bdog said:

Frustrated tbh, good start to get 3 in the first 20 minutes but to only score two goals the rest of the game was really disappointing. Yeah we dominated but that was to be expected. My only big positive was the cap ties. ?

I wonder if the pitch was to blame for all of those misplaced passes.

Yeah, the pitch is partially to blame, but the guys were a bit sloppy too. Keep in mind that Dominica parked the bus in the second half, and despite this we still added two goals and should have notched a couple more.

First of all, the postives: clean sheet and 5 goals scored.

Thoughts:

This reminded me of TFC in a bad way, in that we overplayed way too much. TFC were guilty of that many times throughout this MLS season. It's kind of like, the players know they are exceptional on the ball, capable of combining very well, but they just over did it, much like Toronto do. Triangles are great, but sometimes you just need to be more direct.

Davies - I know he is 17, and immensely talented, but I was disappointed with how many misplaced passes came from him. That being said, once Tabla came on he played much better, for whatever reason.

Millar - like Davies, you can tell he has a lot of talent, but again too many misplaced passes for my liking. Both are young so it is to be expected, but we cannot afford turnovers in dangerous positions against teams who will punish us.

Sloppy play and horrible tactics. It’s plaonly evident that if we played this way against a respectable opponent it wouldn’t be pretty.  

What was that with 2 central defenders and Hutchinson as anchor vs a lone CPL trialist. Overkill much?  What a waste to put Hutchinson in that role.. either put him in Arfields spot or at centerback.

For me it was a disappointment to see Teiberts play tonight.. stagnant and predictable.  He’s best when he plays as a waterbug, using his energy to combine with one twos like last Saturday at bmo.  I don’t think he’s good enough for a Canada call when Kaye gets healthy and Liam Fraser will pass him soon as well.  I can’t imagine him playing against Panama or Honduras with the way he played today... going forward it’s Sammy Piette all day everyday at defensive mid. No more Hutch playing anchor or teibert central mid.

Millar and David impressed me.  I think David has been screwed being brought off when he’s been dominant in both matches - I think he’s a starter for us.  Tabla had some flashes but didn’t see enough of the ball.  Hoilett missed a couple great chances but was good overall. 

I believe that playing counter attacking football suits this team more,given the players we have at our disposal.  Obviously couldn’t play that way tonight. Had a tough time breaking down the 9 Dominica defenders at times. I’m happy that the new players enjoy putting on the red jersey. I’m happy that we have Atiba to bring along the youngsters and that we’ll be able to benefit from his leadership through the Gold Cup.I’m not so sure about Heardman though. Not a fan of the way speaks to media. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. As long as the players want to play for him, I guess that’s what matters most. 

I like how both Davies and Miller upped their dribbling game when Tabla came on, like they didn’t want the new boy outshining them. 

It was frustrating when Brault Guillard first came in. It was like just pass the ball to him to get him comfortable but I guess having your first contribution be in the form of bailing out your center backs will do.

I should be happy with all these guys committing but I have that addictive brain, I just want more. Next up is Kadioglu, Tomori, Ricardo Ferreira and Eustaquio.

And, yes, one has to wonder if guys like Ativan and Tiebert will see much of the field when MAK returns. If Kaye continues to develop as he has, then we have got a pretty impressive two-way midfield general on our hands, one with a damned impressive engine and decent pace too.  Of all our players this year, I’ve been most impressed with the development of Kaye and Cavallini and Oso. 

Going to echo some of what's been commented already.  Untidy play by Canada to be generous, sloppy play to be more fair.  However I don't mean to sound harsh, it was always going to be one of those matches.  Hard to spur the troops when you know the match is always going to be wash.  Can't see how we can take anything away from this round at this point.  Anything useful that is but it is what it is and maybe there's the lesson right there.  You need to find a way to make something useful of these sorts of fixtures and we're not there yet.  Not even close.  

Training ground kick-about or no always LOVE seeing #13 in the middle.  Love it.

And praise be to Gawd no one got hurt.

P.S.  Hey!  Radz looking pretty trim no? 

People who are making excuses such as; “Field in rough conditions” or “Dominica Parked the Bus” for Canada playing terrible 1/2 the Match need to realize it’s not a major factor

We should have been better, I expected more not too sound harsh; Sloppy play, specially with our passing my god. Should have been 7 or 8 nil! 

As always too.. why can we never put a shot on target from outside the box?  Two matches against minnows and not one attempt on from outside the 18 (that I recall). 

When it became clear that they were parking the bus and our crossing wasn’t working we should have had a go or two.

1 hour ago, grigorio said:

that was anemic - felt a lot like Canada of old ?

Except for the "only score 2 goals and give up a late sloppy one making it a nervy finish against a minnow" 

What has me most excited about this team going forward is when we play a worthy opponent we're going to have so much competition for places up front, in the midfield and on the wings. Larin CAN'T get away with lazy performances because Cav is going to be running around. Davies wont be able to be sloppy or he'll lose his spot to on our many great wingers. Exciting times. 

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

Can't see how we can take anything away from this round at this point.  Anything useful that is but it is what it is any maybe there's the lesson right there.  You need to find a way to make something useful of these sorts of fixtures and we're not there yet.  Not even close.  

Admittedly I was unable to watch tonight. But in a match that saw us pick up 3 points in front of a home crowd, cap tie a couple of promising dual nationals, earn 6 teenagers caps, honor a national team hero, and earn a clean sheet, surely you can find something positive to take away.

I thought we played well for the most part - good one-two passes at times - but it looked like we were too intricate with our passes in the final third at times. I would have liked to have seen a few more thumping shots at goal from a bit farther out - the weather was certainly cold, so a good hard shot would have stung and left some big rebounds!

I thought Teibert had a good game, but it annoys me to see him repeatedly play crosses straight into the defenders.

Aside from that I thought he was sharper than most.

Busti - didnt have anything to do really

Cornelius 8/10

James 6.5/10

Millar 7/10

Davies 7/10

Osorio 7.5/10

Hoilett 8/10

Hutchinson 9/10

Cavallini 8.5/10

Teibert 7.5/10

David 8/10

Tabla 8/10

Larin 7.5/10

ZBG 7.5/10

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

People who are making excuses such as; “Field in rough conditions” or “Dominica Parked the Bus” for Canada playing terrible 1/2 the Match need to realize it’s not a major factor

We should have been better, I expected more not too sound harsh; Sloppy play, specially with our passing my god. Should have been 7 or 8 nil! 

Fair enough, but they didn't "play terrible".  Yes, they were sloppy with their passing at times, and they must clean that up, but let's not overstate things. They've a long ways to go, but they were far from terrible. Naïve at times, certainly. Sloppy? Yup.  But not terrible.

David looks a hell of a player. He shows a lot of flexibility as a wide forward and his ability to combine and make smart runs is something we don't have right now. He has to keep starting and if that pushes Davies to left back making us lobsided to the left, I'm all for it. In fact, with Ballou committing and Millar in the wings (pun intended), to me, Davies is a LB now until he proves otherwise at Bayern. 

I only watched the first half, but overall I was satisfied. Obviously, a performance like that won't be good enough to beat a team like Costa Rica, we just lacked a little bit of cutting edge.

Most importantly though! It was a game of soccer. How many times do we see great teams and players struggle against minnows? It happens a lot. 5-0 is a respectable score. I don't think it is as easy as Canada are making it look when they play well. Just go look at Jamaica and El Salvador's scores to see that Canada is doing well. Or heck, go watch the Napoli vs. Red Star champions league game. Games still need to be won, and Canada is doing that comfortably.

What is most impressive to me is the depth of attacking talent we have. If we didn't have that, we would for sure be struggling. I will never complain about a 13-0 goal difference in 2 games.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Thoughts:

Davies - I know he is 17, and immensely talented, but I was disappointed with how many misplaced passes came from him. That being said, once Tabla came on he played much better, for whatever reason.

Millar - like Davies, you can tell he has a lot of talent, but again too many misplaced passes for my liking. Both are young so it is to be expected, but we cannot afford turnovers in dangerous positions against teams who will punish us.

This is the difference between some developmental systems and others. 

Davies will have the sloppiness beat out of him in 3 weeks.

Millar plays in a context where they really do not give a damn about such things, all power to them.

Archived