Jordan Perruzza

shamrock

7 hours ago, narduch said:

They just cycle through academy players and the hard core part of the fan base eats it up like we are a European team.

European teams aren't monolithic in the way they approach player development either.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Sure.

But my point is that it feels like TFC is more interested in selling fans the idea of the academy than actually blooding young players 

That's been true in the past, but Ali Curtis was brought in partly for his expertise in better integrating the academy with the first team. TFC already being established as a Cup contender when he got here has delayed that initiative, but the roster is aging rapidly and will need to undergo wholesale changes eventually.

I'm sure part of that rebuild will mean more high-priced foreigners as usual (which TFC should keep doing as one of the richest teams in the league), but to me the interesting part is what will be done with the rest of the roster.

Even if this is a cynical move to get a better transfer fee out of some European team, it's one that Perruzza agreed to.

9 hours ago, RS said:

That's been true in the past, but Ali Curtis was brought in partly for his expertise in better integrating the academy with the first team. TFC already being established as a Cup contender when he got here has delayed that initiative, but the roster is aging rapidly and will need to undergo wholesale changes eventually.

I'm sure part of that rebuild will mean more high-priced foreigners as usual (which TFC should keep doing as one of the richest teams in the league), but to me the interesting part is what will be done with the rest of the roster.

Even if this is a cynical move to get a better transfer fee out of some European team, it's one that Perruzza agreed to.

If Ali Curtis wants to integrate the academy with the first team, eventually he is going to have to get rid of Vanney I think.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

If Ali Curtis wants to integrate the academy with the first team, eventually he is going to have to get rid of Vanney I think.

I think a good first step would be for him to put his foot down and get rid of late 20's journeymen.  Those guys are a luxury and give Vanney the easy out to throw a guy on thats been kicking around MLS for years and there is no risk to him.  Surely at some point you need to trust the kids a bit and live with some growing pains eh?  If they took Zav, Endoh and Mullins off that roster and gave Nelsen/Okello, Shaff/Perruzza, Dunn/Romeo the 500-1000min at least they would know if the kids were worth keeping around, and they could move on if they were not up to it.  

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jordan said:

Kinda thought with the links to Europe we would have seen a better loan than this

Not too worried. He should get minutes there at least rather than Bench in Europe. Then back with TFC in January for next year or they could loan to Europe then, hopefully with some more goals and experience in the USL again. 

43 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Not too worried. He should get minutes there at least rather than Bench in Europe. Then back with TFC in January for next year or they could loan to Europe then, hopefully with some more goals and experience in the USL again. 

Not sure about that.  San Antonio haven't lost yet and there are only something like 5 games left in the regular season.

4 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Not sure about that.  San Antonio haven't lost yet and there are only something like 5 games left in the regular season.

Oh. Well I guess its better than nothing but definitely a bit of a downer then. I stand corrected. Europe would have been much better lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Hoping Ayo and perruzza are the top two strikers for TFC next year. Jozy needs to go. 

Me and my brother debate about this a lot. With me arguing the opposite. But seeing how Ayo has been playing, and I like what I see from Perrizza - I’ve changed my mind a little. 

The reality is if Jozy is gone, he’ll be replaced with another DP who will have to play.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Mullins is gone in December, Achara is the other guy - but he’s coming back from an injury.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them going for a DP instead of giving minutes to Peruzza, Nelson or Schaffelburg but for the love of god do something with them. If they aren't going to get minutes with the first team, loan them so they can develop to make the team or sell them so they can continue elsewhere.

My problem is when they clearly have good young talents and they sit on them. Yes, USL-One for me is sitting on them.

I'm not snobbing USL Championship but former TVA Sports Nicolas Martineau, who's now a co-owner of player agency Obelisq said in a podcast that when he talks to European leagues, they have a bias towards CPL over USL. No wonder he's been guiding his clients towards CPL when he could have easily found them teams in USL. (Kacher, Farsi, Kreim, Sissoko, Tissot, Beland-Goyette)

That's why I'll always say, if you aren't doing anything with talented youth, loan them to CPL which has proven that Europeans are watching and good performances bring in buyers. TFC can manage their roster however they like but don't sit and waste talented young guys who needs the competitive minutes to grow.

23 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm not snobbing USL Championship but former TVA Sports Nicolas Martineau, who's now a co-owner of player agency Obelisq said in a podcast that when he talks to European leagues, they have a bias towards CPL over USL. No wonder he's been guiding his clients towards CPL when he could have easily found them teams in USL. (Kacher, Farsi, Kreim, Sissoko, Tissot, Beland-Goyette)

This is a pretty big point and should be emphasized.  In Europe tier of play matters a lot.

The CPL is sanctioned as a  D1 League.  MediaPro has sold its broadcasting rights now all over the place so a lot of scouts see it and the games look a lot like lower level D1 leagues in Europe look like.  Scouts can watch and project from it and the prices are not insane for the players so it all kinda fits for them.

European scouts are not going to be watching D2 North American leagues.  They will look at CPL and MLS as leagues that sell players.  

The CPL sold 7 or 8 players last season.  It’s not weather or not a USL- Championship team can be good, it just doesn’t have a profile.

Thats why CPL is so important.

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I like that he's all-in on the 'Italian footballer, circa '1990s/2000s' look. I think he's got the same haircut that Christian Vieri (and half the Azzurri) had at the '02 World Cup. 😭

If he is going to be Italian footballer circa 1990 he has to go with hair like this.

Roberto-Baggio.jpg

Let's just hope he takes better penalty kicks in big games!