Liga MX president: U.S., Mexico, Canada could form joint league

Raven

Off topic, but does somebody want to number crunch/guesstimate whether the $40,000+ quoted in my previous post would be enough to cover costs for, say, Blainville to play CCL away games if they managed to pull off a miracle Voyageurs Cup win?

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Right, in CONCACAF they do it for the money, and they don't do it for the money in UEFA.

Seriously, the argument you are using to deride the CCL can be easily applied to the CPL and Canadian soccer in general. CPL and Canadian soccer aren't the best, so we should all just watch Brazil and Germany play, or La Liga, EPL, etc.

CCL, CPL, and the CMNT are not the best, but they are OURS! It's our local soccer and there is no shame in watching it.

I think you're twisting it a bit.

UEFA has a quality product. CCL doesn't.

UEFA has star power CCL doesn't.

UEFA has desirable traveling destinations, CCL doesn't 

UEFA has a tradition and prestige involved in a continent that has worshiped football for 100 years, CCL doesn't

So is money better there? Yeah. But so is value for money and the bidding on the TV rights for the tourney show that.

I watch / support / fund the CPL because it's Canadian. I watch it because it helps grow our domestic game. That has nothing to do with a tournament that allows ONE Canadian team to participate.

Don't group CMNT and CPL in with CCL. They don't belong together. 

5 minutes ago, Califax said:

I think you're twisting it a bit.

UEFA has a quality product. CCL doesn't.

UEFA has star power CCL doesn't.

UEFA has desirable traveling destinations, CCL doesn't 

UEFA has a tradition and prestige involved in a continent that has worshiped football for 100 years, CCL doesn't

So is money better there? Yeah. But so is value for money and the bidding on the TV rights for the tourney show that.

I watch / support / fund the CPL because it's Canadian. I watch it because it helps grow our domestic game. That has nothing to do with a tournament that allows ONE Canadian team to participate.

Don't group CMNT and CPL in with CCL. They don't belong together. 

La Liga has a quality product. CPL doesn't.

La Liga has star power. CPL doesn't.

I'm going to skip the desirable travelling destinations because I don't know what you mean by that. I've had great vacations in Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Costa Rica. I've also had great vacations in Britain, Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Slovenia. This is the most subjective of your points and I don't know what it has to do with a soccer competition.

La Liga has a tradition and prestige involved in a country that has worshiped football for 100 years. CPL doesn't.

Like I said, your exact argument can be used against all our local soccer competitions. I don't think I'm twisting one bit. If CCL grows and becomes more of a revenue generator, that is good for Canadian soccer in the long term. Especially if/when CPL teams get a direct pass there when there are more than 1 Canadian spots in the competition. Maybe you'll appreciate the CCL more if/when you have a local team that competes in it?

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

La Liga has a quality product. CPL doesn't.

La Liga has star power. CPL doesn't.

Right... I've already addressed that I'm willing to support a local league because it puts Canadian talent first. I think most people in the forum would. CCL doesn't do that. 

23 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm going to skip the desirable travelling destinations because I don't know what you mean by that. I've had great vacations in Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Costa Rica. I've also had great vacations in Britain, Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Slovenia. This is the most subjective of your points and I don't know what it has to do with a soccer competition.

The Travel Advice and Advisories are the Government of Canada’s official source of destination-specific travel information. They give you important advice to help you to make informed decisions and to travel safely while you are abroad.

Slovenia   Exercise normal security precautions   2018-05-01 10:55:56

Italy Exercise normal security precautions 2018-09-04 09:45:41

Portugal Exercise normal security precautions 2018-09-24 10:08:22
Spain Exercise normal security precautions 2018-05-03 09:36:16

Costa Rica Exercise a high degree of caution 2018-09-18 14:45:23

Mexico Exercise a high degree of caution (with regional advisories) 2018-08-06 16:47:59
Dominican Republic Exercise a high degree of caution 2018-08-16 10:59:17

To be perfectly fair, Cuba is low, and UK is high.

central.jpg

europe.jpg

5 minutes ago, Califax said:

Right... I've already addressed that I'm willing to support a local league because it puts Canadian talent first. I think most people in the forum would. CCL doesn't do that. 

Sure, CCL isn't specifically putting Canadian talent first. Of course it shouldn't. But it does help to raise the bar and grow the game in CONCACAF, and Canada is a subset of that. I strongly believe that if/when Canada gets another spot in CONCACAF, it will be in CONCACAF League (the Europa League of CONCACAF) and that it will likely be CPL champs that get that spot. That will be a proving ground for the best CPL has to offer to see how the league is progressing or regressing. If you don't see CCL and CL as local competitions that can help the Canadian game, I guess there isn't anything left for me to say on this topic.

Although I guess I will ask the question. If HFX Wanderers qualify for CCL, would you go to their games or would you be the smart one not being fooled, sitting at home not watching the game?

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

Sure, CCL isn't specifically putting Canadian talent first. Of course it shouldn't. But it does help to raise the bar and grow the game in CONCACAF, and Canada is a subset of that. I strongly believe that if/when Canada gets another spot in CONCACAF, it will be in CONCACAF League (the Europa League of CONCACAF) and that it will likely be CPL champs that get that spot. That will be a proving ground for the best CPL has to offer to see how the league is progressing or regressing. If you don't see CCL and CL as local competitions that can help the Canadian game, I guess there isn't anything left for me to say on this topic.

Although I guess I will ask the question. If HFX Wanderers qualify for CCL, would you go to their games or would you be the smart one not being fooled, sitting at home not watching the game?

Yeah we disagree. The playing field isn't even between countries. It's just a cash grab. It's a square peg in a round hole. 

I would be overjoyed about the Vees Cup victory. However, same as TFC every year (I'm an SSH) I would hope the league / cup would be prioritized over CCL games until the tournament shows it has value / prestige.

So...according to most sources. Our North American Super League doesn't include Canada (CPL)

"Can confirm that MLS and Liga MX have held talks about potentially combining the two leagues. Obviously still in early stages, but if that does happen, what a huge change it would mean for the sport in North America."

https://twitter.com/rgonzalezcbs/status/1050084983602388993?s=12

Edit: Best to move this topic to MLS

1 hour ago, Raven1555362272 said:

So...according to most sources. Our North American Super League doesn't include Canada (CPL)

"Can confirm that MLS and Liga MX have held talks about potentially combining the two leagues. Obviously still in early stages, but if that does happen, what a huge change it would mean for the sport in North America."

https://twitter.com/rgonzalezcbs/status/1050084983602388993?s=12

We should stop talking like it's happening. It's not and it wont.

This is about the Liga MX wanting to grow their market in the US, no more, no less. The best they can hope for is maybe getting an UEFA solution where MLS and Liga MX gets more berth. This means more Liga MX teams playing more often in MLS stadium on US television. 

To me, the whole thing is unnecessary. As long as it doesn't happen in UEFA, wont happen here

There's no way FIFA will allow a complete merger, but maybe they could do something like interleague play in baseball and keep MLS and LigaMX separate but have each team play a certain number of games against an opponent from the other league, followed by separate playoffs and a "world series" (called after a long defunct New York newspaper apparently) type game between the two champions. That way they can get Chivas and America into LA for regular season games and start getting the 35 million Mexican American community into MLS stadiums.

Archived