Gold Cup 2019

On 2/9/2019 at 9:19 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The latest rumour is that CONCACAF had studied the possibility of playing the first of Honduras' games in Honduras, and then decided that was a no go...and then looked at the possibility of putting that game in the Caribbean...but has since decided (for rea$on$ unknown) that the game will be played at Toyota Stadium in Frisco Texas.

Horace Reid says the June 17th game is still planned to be be played in the Caribbean!

http://rjrnewsonline.com/sports/reid-advises-caribbean-islands-to-take-nations-league-seriously

My take:

The June 17th is a Monday. Double-header group stage Gold Cup games mean that, during the week, the first game either starts too early or the second game finishes too late for casual fans and families with kids .

Therefore they will NOT make that match day a double-header.

It will be

Jamaica vs ??? in Kingston

at the same time as

Honduras plays ??? in the Dallas area.

CONCACAF can keep their promise of putting a crucial Gold Cup game in the Caribbean and not lose as much money because depending on the opponent they put against Honduras, they can likely fill Toyota Stadium in Texas.

Win$ for all.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:04 AM, cronaldo7 said:

Haven't scanned this thread but does anyone have any inkling of where the Canada matches will be played in this years Gold Cup? 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:21 AM, admin said:

I don't think we will know until after the French G game.

The Gold Cup groups will be announced on Wednesday, April 10th.

http://www.tvmax-9.com/somoslasele/Definida-anuncio-grupos-Copa-Oro_0_5237476293.html

So when we end up in Group D with the Yanks, @admin can start planning a bus to Cleveland!  ;) 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Expecting Canada to win the whole thing is still unrealistic because as improved as Canada is they're still several notches off from top Concacaf teams like Mexico and possibly CR. Not to mention Jamaica also has possible high quality young talents, e.g. Leon Bailey if he commits.

But we should be confident Canada's first XI is better than the USA's and should get further than the Yanks. Performing as well or better than the US should be par for the course. And no, the US is NOT winning the GC so please save your words for rebuttals.

21 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Expecting Canada to win the whole thing is still unrealistic because as improved as Canada is they're still several notches off from top Concacaf teams like Mexico and possibly CR. Not to mention Jamaica also has possible high quality young talents, e.g. Leon Bailey if he commits.

But we should be confident Canada's first XI is better than the USA's and should get further than the Yanks. Performing as well or better than the US should be par for the course. And no, the US is NOT winning the GC so please save your words for rebuttals.

You’re back!

2 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Despite this fellows penchant for the ridiculous, it should be noted that, in an interview, Liam Millar basically said on watching the USA, "they're no better than we are".  We shall see, hopefully both Millar and Philly Cream Cheese will be vindicated.

56 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think that poster is just a USMNT fan who gets off on getting Canadian supporters to say nice things about the USMNT.

A troll in my books.

Tough to say - he could truly believe what he's spewing.  Just think of the anti-Canada people we deal with who will tell you that El Salvador or whoever are better than Canada just because.  

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Tough to say - he could truly believe what he's spewing.  Just think of the anti-Canada people we deal with who will tell you that El Salvador or whoever are better than Canada just because.  

True, but often Canada is closer to the level/achievements of an El Salvador/Guate/whoever than the US....  ?

34 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

I guess the US is afraid that Canada could win and is in denial that Canada has surpassed them. USSF = Cowards, thieves, and frauds.

Edited by PhillyJawn-guy

43 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Not remotely what was said.

“The Gold Cup is only legislated for this year and 2021, so it could go on but it may not happen,” he said.

“There have been talks in the last year between CONMEBOL (the South American confederation) and CONCACAF on a kind of combined Copa America,” he added, “but they haven’t been able to come to an agreement on that.”

33 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Not remotely what was said.

“The Gold Cup is only legislated for this year and 2021, so it could go on but it may not happen,” he said.

“There have been talks in the last year between CONMEBOL (the South American confederation) and CONCACAF on a kind of combined Copa America,” he added, “but they haven’t been able to come to an agreement on that.”

I was just thinking the other day a combined Copa America would be really cool. Not sure how it would be formatted but I would love it. Considering how difficult it's been to win a Gold cup if you aren't Mexico or USA Concacaf teams would really have to step it up. 

They may want to expand to 24 teams, like the Euro.  So 10 Conmebol and 14 Concacaf.  If so, I dont think we lose much by merging the competitions.  GC every 2 years kindof dilutes the competition.  

On the other hand, Ive seen it reported that the GC is played every 2 years as it is a cash cow and Concacaf relies on the money generated to stay afloat. 

16 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

I was just thinking the other day a combined Copa America would be really cool. Not sure how it would be formatted but I would love it. Considering how difficult it's been to win a Gold cup if you aren't Mexico or USA Concacaf teams would really have to step it up. 

It's going to happen.  They're just fighting over how to split the cash.  The 2016 event smashed all of the most optimistic revenue projections and they believe a repeat event in 2020 could be worth $1 billion dollars.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-17/soccer-in-americas-said-to-mull-1-billion-regional-tournament

CONMEBOL already announced there will be another Copa America in 2020 but the agreement with CONCACAF is the remaining piece of the puzzle.

It's also not inconceivable that they go with a joint Copa America while also doing a Gold Cup on an alternate cycle.

At any rate, I think an expanded Copa is win-win.  It's likely a bigger payday for the South American sides vs what they currently get, and it gets the US and Mexico playing against much better competition in a more competitive atmosphere on a regular basis.  And as a Canadian fan, while I celebrated our Gold Cup win wildly, I think Canada qualifying for the Copa would be a much bigger deal to the general public (akin to the smaller countries qualifying for the Euro).

Copa America 2024 would be amazing, same format around same time as Euro's. 

Advertise it as a "pre-world cup" tourney using the same World Cup venues. 

$ talks so I hope they figure it out. I'm sure they will because I agree with Forbes. They will make some serious serious $. Every South American game would likely be a sellout, just think how many Gold Cup games have a semi-full stadium. 

As a Canadian supporter it would be awesome and amazing prep going into 2026.

Edited by apbsmith

I know many South American fans believe a conjoint Copa America is not an appealing idea.

Some say that its unfair that Concacaf wants to take part in their prestigous tournament. The fans would want them to merge WCQs as well considering it would most likely result in more spots for them

8 hours ago, ted said:

I'd like to know why they keep to a two-year schedule? 

The Euros are every four years and fill the gap between World Cups. Why doesn't CONCACAF do that as well?

To elaborate on Ruffian's answer, the 2015 edition generated $91 million in revenue. 

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2016/12/08/concacaf-calls-feds-football-ones-pass-2015-accounting-honeypot/

Tournament founder pictured below

512lE1AkFpL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg