Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Speaking of odds, we started this tourney at 30:1 to 34:1. Now we're down to 13:1 to 15:1.

Sounds about right.... 

Probably slight favorites in QF.

~5/6:1 to qualify over Mexico in Semi's.

Bookmakers would make us an underdog vs USA in the final, not sure what they do if it's Jamaica or Curacao.

Edited by apbsmith
Curacao

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Unbelievable, Jamaica takes both feet off the pedals, miss a ton of easy chances and Curaçao ties it up in extra time and then almost wins it. Not sure why the inside of the Curaçao's coach's mouth is green but never mind....as of right now they have a chance to go through. 

I thought it was Curacao-yellow Gatorade similar to the blue tongue I had on Saturday from drinking Fade-o-rade aka vodka and Gatorade aka The Rob Ford Special.

Edited by Lansdude

10 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So in hindsight are you happy we played the Mexico game the way we did? Had we gone all out for the win we would have ended up with Costa Rica.

This assumes we can just decide to beat Mexico. It's entirely possible that if we went all out against Mexico we might have still lost. It seems unlikely that we wouldn't have beaten Cuba, but you never know, if we were too gassed from the first 2 games.

46 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Costa Rica is still better than Haiti. One game doesn't change that. We're talking about a team that was in the World Cup Quarter-Finals 5 years ago and made the World Cup for last year's edition. 

I don't agree with not playing to win the game. You can @ me all you want, but I will never agree with "tactics to lose." 

It wasn't "tactics to lose". There is a difference between picking a starting 11 that doesn't give your team the best chance to win a game and actually wanting to lose a game. If Herdman could have picked the result, he still would have picked a win.

However, sometimes to give your team the best chance to win a championship, you have to do something that doesn't give your team the best chance to win a particular game. If you play your best 11 every game, regardless of the circumstances, you just might be tanking your chances in the long run. Just like you don't run a marathon at a sprint pace.

Gosh the US have the easiest path to the finals. Even if they win the whole thing with a Mexico B team, they'll  be branded "#2 in CONCACAF" 🙄

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

This assumes we can just decide to beat Mexico. It's entirely possible that if we went all out against Mexico we might have still lost. It seems unlikely that we wouldn't have beaten Cuba, but you never know, if we were too gassed from the first 2 games.

I understand, my post was a continuation of a conversation had in the Mexico game thread, hence why certain posters were tagged.

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Sounds about right.... 

Probably slight favorites in QF.

~5/6:1 to qualify over Mexico in Semi's.

Bookmakers would make us an underdog vs USA in the final, not sure what they do if it's Jamaica or El Salvador.

Fairly big favourites in terms of our chances of winning within the 90mins. 

In terms of qualify we are 8/13 (pay 13 to get 8$) and Haiti is 6/5 (pay 5 for 6$)

00BDDE4F-9FC1-403B-BCF2-5F961EEE1195.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I take no pleasure in seeing Honduras finish last in Group C. (sarcasm) 😉

It's not very often you see a team finish last in a group with a positive goal differential.

Edited by jtpc

Just now, jtpc said:

Nice to see Curacao advance to the QF in their first-ever Gold Cup appearance.

It's not very often that you see a team finish last in a group with a positive goal differential (Honduras, +2).

2nd appearance but yes, agreed.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kent said:

It wasn't "tactics to lose". There is a difference between picking a starting 11 that doesn't give your team the best chance to win a game and actually wanting to lose a game. If Herdman could have picked the result, he still would have picked a win.

However, sometimes to give your team the best chance to win a championship, you have to do something that doesn't give your team the best chance to win a particular game. If you play your best 11 every game, regardless of the circumstances, you just might be tanking your chances in the long run. Just like you don't run a marathon at a sprint pace.

Totally agree, plus we don't know wether Haiti is the preferred opponent until after the game;-) They were first in their group so there's that. 

Edited by shamrock

I fell asleep before the 2nd half haha... thought for sure El Salvador were going to get a positive result (tie or win). 

Anyone who watched do you think fatigue of the tourney set in, in the final 1/3 of game for El Salvador? + A bit of mental collapse after going down 1-0? Or the pressure to get the result set in? 

I'm mainly curious from someone's standpoint who watched the entire 2nd half.

I do think we could do some damage to Haiti also in the final 1/3 of the game.

I'd be wary of playing Curacao in the next round - not because they are that good, but  because they seem to have luck on their side in this tourney. Honduras outshot them badly in their loss to them and Jamaica missed about 6-7 sitters from strikers who were wide open and had all of the time in world (not due to brilliant creative play from the Jamaicans but incredibly-poor marking) but failed to finish. They probably should have lost both games by multiple goals yet tie up the Jamaican game in the end (helped by poor goal keeping by Andre Blake who seemed to be thinking "I'll just let my defender next to me save it with his head"). And then El Salvador decides to toss their previously-competent defensive play out the window when all they needed was a draw to advance. If I'm the US, I lose on purpose to Panama in order to avoid these guys - before they know it, they'll be advancing to the semi's on a coin toss or drawing lots. ;)

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Anyone who watched do you think fatigue of the tourney set in, in the final 1/3 of game for El Salvador? + A bit of mental collapse after going down 1-0? Or the pressure to get the result set in? 

Maybe flying from El Salvador to Washington to Japan and then back to Kingston, Jamaica for friendlies before the tournament wasn't such a hot idea.

Would be funny to see a Haiti v Curacao final.
That would certainly make Canada, USA & Mexico take a step back...