Gold Cup 2019

11 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Deserved lead for Bermuda.  They will rue all of those missed chances against Haiti and Costa Rica.  They could've gotten points from those games on another day.

What's crazy is only a few months back Cuba diced Bermuda in Cuba 5-0. 

Agree, Bermuda will regret those missed chances but in my eyes had a solid showing this tourney.  

It's so difficult for me to compare mid table CONCACAF teams.

*Edit just realized Nahki Wells and a few others didn't play for Bermuda that game.

Edited by apbsmith
Edit player

4 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

What's crazy is only a few months back Cuba diced Bermuda in Cuba 5-0. 

Agree, Bermuda will regret those missed chances but in my eyes had a solid showing this tourney.  

It's so difficult for me to compare mid table CONCACAF teams.

Was that a full strength game?  I don't see it on their list of matches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_national_football_team#Recent_fixtures_and_results

7 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Was that a full strength game?  I don't see it on their list of matches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_national_football_team#Recent_fixtures_and_results

I dunno, used Google.

If I was in charge of Bermuda's Wikipedia page I might deleted that result also haha. Google has it listed as a friendly.

I edited my original post about it, missing lots of their top players in the lineup vs Cuba, in Cuba.

Screenshot_20190624-202139.png

Edited by apbsmith

1 minute ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Looks like it was in February with a domestic squad.  They've got 8 overseas pros so they obviously couldn't play outside of FIFA dates.  

Ya for sure, thx.

Kind of redundant/meaningless post by me. Should have compared the lineups first before posting, oh well. 

Costa Rica rolling out one of their 3 versions of their tried and true "park the bus, counter attack" 4-4-1-1 vs Haiti. 

The Ticos only need a tie to win the group, so makes sense for them. Though I do jope Haiti get them on a set piece header.

Should be an intriguing match/scouting opportunity for us. Both teams fielding pretty much their best XI to win the group and play us instead of Mexico in the QFs.

Edited by apbsmith

2 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

I would love to see how we would match up with Haiti. Their quick counterattack scare me but I think we could pick them apart quite easily. 

Haiti look to be a slightly less polished, but somehow more unpredictable (if not dangerous) version of Martinique. 

One thing is for sure though, we'll have to be at our best in the quarter finals. Both of these teams can be difficult for us if we don't come out to play.

Costa Rica looking better now than at the beginning of the tournament. Probably the result of rising to the occasion.

Their experience worries me, but on the balance of overall talent, I think we may have a slight edge. In terms of overall consistency both teams are close, but we have a few big individual talents they don't seem to have - specifically Davies and David.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but weren't you a big voice in questioning Herdman when he was given the job? I didn't ever watch the video, but I remember this quote and another from you at the time.

I thought there was another line from you about it being the darkest day in Canadian soccer or something, but I'm not finding it at the moment and there is a lot to go through in the relevant threads.

The reason why it sticks out is because I was surprised it came from you, since I know you are a big supporter of the women's game (more so than me). To be fair, this was when the news was super fresh. Maybe once you had some time to digest what had happened you cooled down a bit.

Are you referring to me - red card? You must be mistaking me for somebody else. I never was upset at Herdman's hiring. 

As you said, I do follow the women's team, so I know more than others that he would help the men's team. I have seen him at corporate events, so I know what type of impact he can have on people and organizations.

And now if read my recent posts, I'm not so happy with KHM (even before today's loss).